Headaches Followed by Whooshing Pulsatile Tinnitus — Freaking Out!

Discussion in 'Support' started by VickiD, May 6, 2023.

1. VickiD

VickiD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No idea :(
      Guys, I have been getting headaches in my forehead region for 4 months and they have been pretty damn terrible. I have had tinnitus (ringing) since 2016 but lately a whooshing sound has started and it sounds like air going shhh. I don't know if it's in the rhythm of my heart but I know it goes shhhh, fading in and out.

I am terrified because I went to see a doctor about my headaches and when I mentioned my regular tinnitus, he said he would be more concerned about pulsatile tinnitus. I thought he meant a heartbeat but from googling, I realise it's actually whooshing too.

The headaches have been severe at times, always on the forehead - tender across to touch, even the scalp hurts to touch.

2. PennyCat

PennyCat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Bad headaches + pulsatile tinnitus sounds like classic IIH (idiopathic intracranial hypertension). What kind of doctor did you see? I think it’s generally recommended to see a neurologist for this.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      VickiD

VickiD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No idea :(
      The pain is in my forehead. I had an ENT look at me, who said I had swollen turbinates. I don't appear to have high blood pressure?

Also, I had an eye test which was normal...

The other signs, I don't have.

I have a weird whooshing now in both ears. I didn't have that before.

• Like Like x 1
    4. CaliGirl

CaliGirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss/Stress
      Hi @VickiD, I have the whooshing noise in my ear too, but no headache. I have a doctor's appointment scheduled in a few weeks.

Any update on your symptoms?

5. MimiLuv
      Tired

MimiLuv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly Clindamycin)
      @VickiD, I have started getting pulsatile tinnitus last year in August. I went to a neurologist who did an ultrasound and MRI scan. I have intracranial stenosis, leading to problems with the veins, which also make me a risk patient for strokes. It can lead to headaches though, especially under stress/if you work out etc. I have normal eye pressure and normal blood pressure. At least at the moment.

I would suggest you get an appointment for a neurologist. <3

6. brandoug

brandoug Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      CIRS, biotoxic home
      I found Tinnitus Talk while looking into my various symptoms and Google recommended this thread because of the headaches and whooshing. I wanted to post that I'm curious if you've looked into biotoxin (molds, bacteria, water damaged buildings, etc.) exposure?

I've been diagnosed with something called CIRS which has similar symptoms of constant headache, forehead sore to the touch, and the tinnitus (though that may not be from the CIRS, but something else related to the same exposure).

Let me know if you figured it out, or if you'd like to discuss my diagnosis more.

7. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      Can anything be done for the intracranial stenosis?