Headphones — Should I Stop Using Them?

Discussion in 'Support' started by MarmiteKFC, Jul 21, 2016.

1. MarmiteKFC
      Amused

MarmiteKFC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ????
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      Okay, so I have mild tinnitus only in my right ear. Should I lay off the headphones as I am a PC gamer and I have a tournament with my CSGO clan in Saturday. Should I stop it? Or can I use headphones for left ear and can you give me tips, because I heard that my type of tinnitus can go away.

2. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      You can use them but reduce the volume.

3. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      I play CSGO literally all the time. Like I always have throughout my gaming career, I keep the volume below 50% all the time, loud enough to hear footsteps clearly - but not loud enough to be DEAFENED by AWPs, not to mention my favorite gun, the Deagle, which is very loud, and which I use quite often.

What's your rank, brother?

Follow the 60:60 rule - if you're gonna listen to loud music though, keep it at 60% volume, for 60 minutes a day. If you keep your headphones quiet (like, below 45%) you'll be safe indefinitely, no matter how long you listen.

The biggest difference between loud music and CS:GO, though, is that loud music is loud for 3-12 minutes, depending on the song, whereas CS:GO is 90% silence and sneaky-beaky, 5% footsteps and micspam, and 5% brief gunfights. Just dont max your volume and play deathmatch with an AWP for 8 hours a day and you'll be fine.

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    4. Mat V

Mat V Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music through ipod
      My tinnitus is noise induced, I got it from listening to music on my headphones super loud. I also have the problem where when I swallow my ears crackle and my ears are constantly plugged. So when I wear headphones my ears get plugged but go away after time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Mat V I advise you not use headphones even at low volume as there is a risk of making your tinnitus worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      The headphones argument comes up a lot here, and it stirs a bit of spirited discussion. If your situation is still fairly fresh I would not even consider it for six months to a year. After that if I went back to them I'd reintroduce them slowly, quietly and carefully in the same manner you may reintroduce mobility to a healing fracture. I still use them a bit but nothing like I once did, in volume and duration. Never earbuds though, horrid little things.

• Like Like x 2
    7. paganismos
      Angelic

paganismos Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Syringing (Acoustic Trauma)
      Hey everyone,

I got tinnitus a year and a half ago. I'm habituated now, and I've been to loud events, concerts, movies, clubs, etc. With protection and haven't noticed spikes or any change in the volume of my tinnitus.

Nevertheless I've stayed away from headphone use because of things that I've read here.

But now I'm on a trip with some annoying family members and I was thinking of purchasing some headphones although I'm not quite sure of that decision, because I don't want to risk it, but I can't stand them and it's making me crazy. If I do buy them I won't be using it too long or too loud, I do know that.

People, can you recommend me some headphones or how to use them (periods of time, volume, etc)?

Has your tinnitus changed since using headphones or is it the same?

Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
    8. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @paganismos

Since you have read posts on the use of headphones you have probably read mine and know I do not recommend anyone that has tinnitus, which was caused by "exposure to loud noise" to use headphones even at low volume. It is true some people with noise induced tinnitus, use headphones without any problems. However, many people with NIT return to using headphones and regret it. The choice is yours whether you decide to use them or not.

There are people in this forum that do not have "Noise induced" tinnitus and will quickly tell you: Headphones will do no harm as long as the volume is kept low. Some people with noise induced tinnitus will tell you the same. Just remember, if your tinnitus spikes using headphones which can happen and it might not reduce to its previous manageable level. The same people that have told you to use Headphones there's no problem, will not be able to help you when you're in distress. I know what I'm talking about believe me. People have contacted me by email and talked to me on the telephone, crying because their tinnitus has increased due to headphones, when previously the tinnitus was low and manageable.

Shortly before last Christmas a member of this forum contacted me on PM. Her tinnitus was "noise induced" and she had habituated for 6 years. She decided to return to using headphones at low volume. Within one week the tinnitus increased and now she cannot return to work because of the distress the tinnitus is causing.

My advice to you is to be very careful if you decide to use headphones even at low volume. You have been fortunate to go to movies, concerts and clubs. Please do not think wearing hearing protection means you are completely safe, this is not true! If external sound is loud enough it will pass through your head/skull and be transferred to your inner ear by bone conduction. This can spike the tinnitus and it can increase to a new permanent level. A person with noise induced tinnitus has to be careful. You can still go out and enjoy yourself but do not push your luck. Tinnitus can be ruthless and very unforgiving.

I wish you well.
      Michael

• Useful Useful x 1
    9. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I think headphones at a low level would be okay but it is difficult to know what acceptable level that is. Then, you have to wonder about duration.
      I think the tinnitus treatments using headphones are set up with all this in mind but I wonder if it is safe to figure out yourself. Thus, I would avoid headphones if possible. It's not worth the risk.

Your family members annoy you so you plan to 'escape' by using headphones? I wonder if music at a low level would be enough? Maybe wearing ear plugs on occasion would be an option? Or custom plugs? Are they arguing or talking loud that is the problem? Something else?

10. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      YES

• Agree Agree x 3
    11. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I'd recommend noise cancelling headphones so you can keep the volume low.

Mine hasn't changed. You can find more answers in this poll https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...phones-has-it-made-your-tinnitus-worse.35243/

The poll seems to indicate that for the people on this forum who responded and tried headphones after T, a large majority saw no worsening of their T (35 vs 10).

12. Foamearplugssuck
      Angry

Foamearplugssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/26/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doing concert photography
      Ok, so I have a question for this thread.

I took a DJing class last semester, and it was truly one of the most enjoyable things I've done in a while. I really wanted to continue to with it, but you have to wear headphones in order to mix so your songs blend well together.

My tinnitus is noise-induced, so wearing headphones scares me. However, if I wore headphones with earplugs, would that protect my ears from potential damage?

13. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Foamearplugssuck

Loud sound and Headphones of any type do not sit well with people that have "Noise induced tinnitus". My advice to you, is to find another hobby and vocation in life. Accept the fact that you have noise induced tinnitus. Respect this and it's likely you can have a fulfilling life doing everything that you want to within reason. Noise induced tinnitus is not something to mess around with or to take for granted. It can seriously diminish the quality of your life if it becomes loud and intrusive. I know whereof I speak, as I have corresponded and counselled people with this condition.

Michael

Using earplugs with headphones has been tried by some people with NIT with unsuccessful results. Each time you use headphones or expose yourself to high levels of sound, there is a risk of the tinnitus spiking and becoming worse permanently.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    14. John Mahan

John Mahan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I am going to push back slightly on what you write Michael, and I have great respect for you and your contributions to this forum.

It goes like this....

Physics.

Percussive air waves that create the construct of sound in our heads does NOT differentiate between headphone usage versus not. Air waves = Air waves. High pressure air waves is harmful. Low pressure air waves that doesn't displace the ear drum as much is considered not harmful or normal.

Listening to headphones 'AT UNHARMFUL SOUND LEVELS' = No Headphones 'AT UNHARMFUL SOUND LEVELS'

Above is the same. Equivalency.

That said, artificially induced aka amplified 'HIGH VOLUME' listening with Headphones is harmful. Of course because this equals high pressure air waves. It is no different than high pressure air waves in nature...some of which have caused tinnitus in people accidentally.

No headphone usage and putting your ear next to a fire truck siren or sitting in the front row of a rock concert with no ear protection is profoundly harmful. It comes down to pressure on the ear(s).

So, that is my push back. This question comes up time to time and my position on it.

I don't want to overstate my involvement in music. I love music. I love all genres of music, from classical to opera, from hard rock to jazz to some country.

I own high end studio headphones...called open back headphones which let sound in and out.

I listen to music at low volume either with headphone or without. In fact, my ears don't tolerate high volume. This has been recently tested in fact. The volume that I listen to music at within my headphones is likely less harmful than when I get in my car and go for a drive....lower dB.

That is my position on this subject OP.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @John Mahan

Thank you for your kind words.

My advice not to use headphones is for people that have "Noise induced tinnitus" and not for people that have tinnitus which was caused by an underlying medical problem. You haven't said whether your tinnitus is noise induced? I am not trying to convince anyone with NIT not to use headphones because I already know the risks and potential dangers, based on experience with NIT, corresponding and counselling people with this condition.

I have already stated, not everyone with NIT will be adversely affected by headphone use. However, the risk is there and it is real every time someone with this condition decides to use headphones even at low volume.

With respect, science and Physics has nothing to do with NIT so I won't bother to get into it with you. I will say, the ear canal is only 26mm long. When music is played through headphones that pressed up against the ear the soundwaves have nowhere else to go other than in one direction straight towards the eardrum. The auditory system of someone with NIT is more sensitive and prone to spikes even after habituation is reached. Therefore, one should exercise caution whenever around overly loud sounds or having intentions of using headphones.

There are many posts in this forum written by people with NIT that have regretted using headphones after noticing their tinnitus has increased. Anyone that is contemplating using headphones, I advise to first read these posts.

I have written about this topic many times during the 5 years that I have been a member of this forum. People have asked for advice on headphone use and whenever possible I will give it. Recently someone in this forum PM'd me after following the advice of his Audiologist, who said using headphones at low volume is perfectly safe. Prior to this I had advised this member of the risk of using headphones for someone with Noie induced tinnitus. This person went against my advice and now the tinnitus has increased. This is a familiar story told not only in this forum but others that I visit.

All the best

Michael

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    16. Foamearplugssuck
      Angry

Foamearplugssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/26/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doing concert photography
      This makes me....so sad lol. I know you're right and it's what I should do, but I can't imagine a fulfilling life without music/DJing, and I've been seriously depressed about this for weeks. But life sucks, then you die, so I guess I'll have to get used to it.

17. John Mahan

John Mahan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      We are physics Michael. You and I have tinnitus because of physics. We are made of atoms.
      Because of our arrangement of atoms we have tinnitus. Others with a different arrangement of atoms don't have tinnitus. Others with a different arrangement of atoms can't see. We have vision.

Because we differ, I would like to hear your scientific theory on why you believe that its Noise Induced Tinnitus is vulnerable to headphone usage. To me, you conflate high volume with headphone usage. A jackhammer won't hurt your ears if you don't turn it on.

Btw, headphone usage is not a monolith. It is not homogeneous. Headphones pressed up the ear in my particular case is false. It doesn't exist. Nothing presses up against my ear. Honestly, I disagree with much of what you write...with respect. You conflate loudness with headphones. No. Doesn't have to be. NIT is physics Michael. Noise trauma kills hearing. Nerves change, Neuron enlistment changes. Physics change

Also, not even correct to lump NIT in the same category. NIT is cumulative...or can be precipitous. Big difference. End result the same. A single noise event can destroy hearing just like a lifelong accumulation of high threshold noise..
      In my case, I suspect a life accumulation of noise...that interdicting with hereditary, hearing loss is common in my family with aging. My 87 y.o. mother has profound hearing loss. She hasn't had the noisy trauma I have. She also has tinnitus and wears very high end hearing aids. Hearing aids that many wear, work on the same property as headphones...they amplify sound increasing ear drum displacement.

Its ok to disagree and wanted to put my opinion out there. It is not an even playing field when it comes to headphone usage. Ear buds are not the same as studio quality closed headphones which are not the same as studio quality open headphones I wear. Pressure on the eardrum which creates the same sound is likely the same however. No different than sound if not wearing headphones. Otherwise the sound would be different. High volume listening and headphones can be mutually exclusive. I can hear a conversation in the next room when I wear my headphones.

Stereotypes are misleading.
      https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...234C2EE804F63E0816E9234C2EE804F6&&FORM=VRDGAR

18. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @John Mahan

You are entitled to your opinion and I shall end it there.

Goodbye and I wish you well.
      Michael

19. John Mahan

John Mahan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      As are you Michael and the purpose of the forum to share our opinions. If you believe your position on further hearing disruption and headphone usage for NIT specific users, is a scientific fact, I would love to see the scholarship on the subject. Please post the link if you would.

Most articles posted about headphone usage conflates high volume levels with hearing degradation. Of course. Any and all high volume listening can impair hearing. A blender. A hand dryer in a bathroom. A hairdryer.

An eardrum isn't very smart Michael. It can't tell if the sound is coming from ambient air in the environment or a headphone...or for many with hearing loss, another name for a headphone....a hearing aid.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I think using headphones in an ok volume is ok. But I would recommend not to use the ones you get with your phones, the ones you dig into your ears.

21. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @John Mahan

You are trying my patience. I have been polite and cordial with you because you initially showed me respect. Now you are deviating from that. I have many years experience with NIT tinnitus and know, as other members in this forum, the harm headphones can do for people with Noise induced tinnitus.

I will not be corresponding with you further on this subject.

Good day.
      Michael

• Winner Winner x 1
    22. John Mahan

John Mahan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I continue to show you respect. I am a very respectful person and of course I have great empathy for fellow tinnitus sufferers as well. I just believe you to be wrong for the reasons I have posited and also believe you haven't put forth a cogent argument buttressing your position. Sorry Michael. I am a scientist and the lens I look through.

Would love to see your published documentation to refute what I wrote...a controlled study.

• Like Like x 1
    23. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Mathieulh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chronic headphones use and acute noise induced trauma.
      If you have had your tinnitus onset recently (less than 6 months ago), you should absolutely avoid headphones under all circumstances, otherwise you can use them, for short durations, in a silent room, at low volume, over the ear and preferably open back.

Also, avoid earbuds, for life, and avoid, whenever possible, using headphones in a noisy environment because you wouldn't be able to perceive loudness effectively and be tempted to increase the noise.

24. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      I don't want to pour oil unnecessarily into the headphone discussion here. However, I would like to point out that the therapy, on which many people currently have high hopes (Lenire), is partly carried out via headphones.

I don't know whether this conflict has already been discussed anywhere.

25. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      From what I gather @Tinniger Lenire plays a series of audible tones through headphones. My advice is for people that have Noise induced tinnitus, not to listen to "music" through headphones even at low volume. Everyone is entitled to do as they wish, but if their tinnitus gets worse using headphones, they only have themselves to blame.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. John Mahan

John Mahan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      And my advice having tinnitus for 3 years and consistently listening to open back audiophile headphones albeit on low listening levels with no change to my tinnitus... perhaps my tinnitus is even reduced from original onset is the following.

If you jump out of an airplane, be sure to wear a parachute. If you don't, remember, you only have yourself to blame...lol.

For you guys that have good audio gear and headphones, to me, this is the best young soprano on the planet. Remember, not too loud:
      Laura Bretan interpretează o piesă live

• Like Like x 1
    27. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      So Lenire's headphones are okay for you because it's not "music", but "audible tones." I see.

28. John Mahan

John Mahan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Oh and Tinniger, pretty much all audiologists throughout the world use headphones to perform a hearing evaluation... including noise threshold shift... if any to deduce pain tolerance. Many of us with tinnitus and hyperacusis... our brain turns up the gain because we no longer hear as well as we once did. My threshold btw is 80dB... or a shift of about 20 dB.

All Audiologists that degrade patient's hearing... remember, they only have themselves to blame. Cynically of course this is job security for them. ;-).

29. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Tinniger

Due to music having syncopation, the beat, pitch and timbre is constantly changing throughout its frequency range. It for this reason I do not recommend anyone that has "Noise induced" tinnitus to listen to music through headphones. It is true that's some people with NIT use headphones without any problems, but there is always a risk of the tinnitus spiking which can result in the tinnitus increasing to a new permanent level. I have corresponded with many people with NIT that regret having returned to using headphones because their tinnitus has become louder.

Some people with NIT have asked me whether it's safe to play white or pink noise through headphones as an alternative to using white noise generators, because of their huge expense. It is something I do not advise. White noise played through headphones is unregulated, can often sound crude and harsh compared to WNG designed for this purpose, where the sound is smooth and regulated. I know this because I have tried it and I've used WNG for many years. White noise played through a headphones can spike tinnitus for those with NIT and especially when hyperacusis is present, so one needs to be careful.

A headphone uses a diaphragm/speaker to produce sound. The sound from a white noise generator and hearing aid exits from a tiny hole/aperture within a small plastic tube, that wraps around the ear and enters the ear canal. These devices are completely different from a headphone and thus, will not usually spike the tinnitus.

All the best
      Michael

30. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      It is all a matter of volumen and time. If you use headphones at low volume and for reasonable periods of time (not hours on end) you should be ok.