Headphones — Should I Stop Using Them?

Discussion in 'Support' started by MarmiteKFC, Jul 21, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. MarmiteKFC
      Amused

MarmiteKFC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ????
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      Okay, so I have mild tinnitus only in my right ear. Should I lay off the headphones as I am a PC gamer and I have a tournament with my CSGO clan in Saturday. Should I stop it? Or can I use headphones for left ear and can you give me tips, because I heard that my type of tinnitus can go away.

2. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      You can use them but reduce the volume

3. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      I play CSGO literally all the time. Like I always have throughout my gaming career, I keep the volume below 50% all the time, loud enough to hear footsteps clearly - but not loud enough to be DEAFENED by AWPs, not to mention my favorite gun, the Deagle, which is very loud, and which I use quite often.

What's your rank, brother?

Follow the 60:60 rule - if you're gonna listen to loud music though, keep it at 60% volume, for 60 minutes a day. If you keep your headphones quiet (like, below 45%) you'll be safe indefinitely, no matter how long you listen.

The biggest difference between loud music and CS:GO, though, is that loud music is loud for 3-12 minutes, depending on the song, whereas CS:GO is 90% silence and sneaky-beaky, 5% footsteps and micspam, and 5% brief gunfights. Just dont max your volume and play deathmatch with an AWP for 8 hours a day and you'll be fine.

4. MarmiteKFC
      Amused

MarmiteKFC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ????
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      I am Silver One :C, I was SEM but I was demoted. Thing is my right ear is affected, but I just use my headphones for only the left ear and I hear just fine. I play maps such as Dust 2, Inferno, Cobblestone, Cache and etc. Also great to see a fellow CSGO player. Add me jasdeep118 :D. Tomorrow at the evening I have to go to the hospital to remove some paper towel in my ear. Actu

5. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      This question has been in my head, for a long long time, since my tinnitus might be "noise induced" after using my earphones "wayy too loud"
      i miss wearing them to go out for a jog :(

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. MarmiteKFC
      Amused

MarmiteKFC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ????
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      I am just wondering, should I prevent using headphones. I only wear them on the left ear, or should I stick to the speakers for now? I also play the headphones on a low volume and I don't listen to that much music. But still should I stay away from the headphones and rest the ears?

7. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I stopped using headphones for about 6 months after I got tinnitus. However I use them now. I use them for gaming and listening to podcasts all day at work. I rarely listen to music through them. And I keep them low enough to hear properly but not any louder than that.
      The mist important think I've found is to use open back headphones while playing xbox. And when at work I use the type of headphones you rest in your ear as opposed to the ones you stick right in. This seems to be contrary to usual advise. But it's better for me. The closed back headsets and earphones you shove right in seem to be too intense for my ears!

8. Zora
      Kick ass

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      I got my T from overusing headphones and I will never use them again. I dont miss using them at all.

• Like Like x 1
    9. MarmiteKFC
      Amused

MarmiteKFC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ????
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      Can I listen through my speakers?

10. Kane Moffat
      Badass

Kane Moffat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      headphones made me lose more hearing after i got T, try and use your speakers mate, i know its a bit more akward but you need to adapt or it will get worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Of course. There's no magic volume specific setting on your stereo/TV etc. And theres no specific safe time you can listen to really loud music etc. But just be sensible. If it's loud, turn it down a bit. If you walk into a really loud pub, walk back out again or find a quiet corner, or use some ear plugs.
      You don't have to change the things you do. But you may have to adapt them. I used to love listening to loud Hip hop through headphones. I can still listen to the same Hip hop. But not really loud anymore. But I can still listen to it through headphones at a sensible level. Or through speakers at, for instance twice the volume of an average volume setting of a TV. But it's not a magic volume.

12. Filip

Filip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud earbuds music
      Nooooo don't risk it please this sounds horrible; actually idk honestly in order to survive you gotta be surrounded by good people but be careful I luckily have 1 friend that help me through the pain.

13. Mat V

Mat V Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music through ipod
      My tinnitus is noise induced, I got it from listening to music on my headphones super loud. I also have the problem where when I swallow my ears crackle and my ears are constantly plugged. So when I wear headphones my ears get plugged but go away after time.

14. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      @Mat V I advise you not use headphones even at low volume as there is a risk of making your tinnitus worse.

15. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      The headphones argument comes up a lot here, and it stirs a bit of spirited discussion. If your situation is still fairly fresh I would not even consider it for six months to a year. After that if I went back to them I'd reintroduce them slowly, quietly and carefully in the same manner you may reintroduce mobility to a healing fracture. I still use them a bit but nothing like I once did, in volume and duration. Never earbuds though, horrid little things.

• Like Like x 1