Headspace Meditation App — Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Pero1234, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Pero1234

Pero1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      home theatre system + high pressure washer
      Hey all,

Even before I got tinnitus, I was a fan of the Headspace app. This extensive but fun app guides you from your first breathing exercises all the way through dedicated sessions aimed at sleeping, dealing with grief, pain management and even getting to grips with cancer.

That made me think: wouldn’t it be nice if there was a tinnitus module. Not only helping you calm down and manage anxiety in those first dreadful weeks, but also providing advice on what is happening, when to see a doctor and possible treatments to discuss with their ENT.

I sent the Headspace a mail and got a reply:

My mail
      ======
      Hi there,

A suggestion for a new series on Tinnitus.

Headspace has become part of my life. It helped me relax during stressful days and even got me to sleep when few other things worked.

Last month I was careless and exposed myself to loud noise and I got Tinnitus. The first few weeks were a nightmare. Stressing out increases the ringing sound and creates a vicious cycle.

Most difficult was staying calm and forgive myself for being so careless. I got a lot of consolation from the Regret - series. Thanks for that!

I did wonder... Soothing words, habituation an cognitive behavior therapy, tinnitus regraini g therapy are things that help for Tinnitus as there is no real cure.

Millions of people have tinnitus... perhaps it might be a good idea for a future series in Headspace?

Look into the subject and perhaps visit forums like Tinnitustalk, do some research, give some advice and help people understand the condition during those first dreadful days without sleep or hope...

most of: help them relax and realize that life does not stop with Tinnitus.

Thanks!
      Kenny

The reply
      =======
      Hey Kenny,

Thank you for reaching out to Headspace regarding a Pack for tinnitus.

We are always looking for more ways to improve upon and add to our content.

That is a fantastic suggestion that hopefully we can take into account in the future. Feedback like yours is the best way we can make Headspace more relevant, accessible, and enjoyable to our users. We sincerely appreciate you emailing us with your thoughts!

I will be sure your suggestion gets heard by the right ears so we can look towards future improvements.

We are glad to hear that Headspace has helped during what would be a difficult time. Please let us know if you have any other feature requests or need assistance with anything.

Many thanks and happy meditating,

Tyler L
      Customer Experience
      www.headspace.com

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Well done for being active contacting Headspace.
      We campaign about Mental Health as it is so important and side to side with dealing with tinnitus and the unwanted emotions tinnitus can bring especially in the early days and months .
      Im sure @Markku and @Steve will be happy to read your post.
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    3. newbieT

newbieT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      There is also a meditation app called Insight Timer which I've been using. It's free so anyone who wants to save some money should try it as well.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      @Pero1234 Are you still using the app? I downloaded it yesterday and started the basic course, maybe after i try the anxiety pack. See if that helps a bit:)

5. Emperor-Drax

Emperor-Drax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bang on metal with a mallet
      This app is best used with headphones. Unfortunately headphones are forbidden for use by tinnitus sufferers, or else you may run the risk of cranial detonation.

6. Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Ahahaha:D I don't share this absolutism about headphones, but i also don't use them at the moment because i want to eliminate every possible risk in the beginnning. But you can use the app also on speaker:D

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pero1234

Pero1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, I still use it on a daily basis. The dailies are a very short and efficient way to get a new perspective, open mind on things.

The Anxiety pack is an excellent choice to start with, right after you finish the basics.

I hope it helps you to feel less anxious and more mindful.

Good luck! :)

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pero1234

Pero1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I mainly use headspace through:

1) My portable bluetooth speaker
      2) My surround system via airplay (low volume )
      3) My iphone itself... (when bluetooth speaker battery is empty)

You don’t *need* headphones for Headspace.

But I do admit that sometimes I put headspace on through my headphones in the train as well, low volume... most if the exercise is silence... and only sessions of 5-10 mins.

9. Deamon22

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Fantastic, I will do that and let you know:) thanks

• Like Like x 1
    10. marc 1974 london

marc 1974 london Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise i think ? stress
      Just to ask what would you like to see in an app for tinnitus? Functions etc.

11. Otana
      No Mood

Otana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I like the pain management pack a lot and have been through it a few times. I find a lot of the coping mechanisms with chronic pain are similar to that of tinnitus. It's the closest thing to a substitute until they get a tinnitus pack.

• Agree Agree x 1