Heard a Bouncing Basketball in My Head? What Might Have Caused It?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Insane Noise, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Insane Noise

Insane Noise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've had tinnitus for over 30 years now and don't know what caused it. About 20 years ago give or take I had this weird sound that no one else would hear for awhile. It sounded exactly like when someone takes a basketball and drops it to the floor and as the basketball bouncing becomes shorter in height as it gets closer to the floor the sound would speed up until it stops.

I was not around any area where people were playing with basketballs at all. This sound was coming from within my head area and I alone was hearing it.

Something inside my head was creating this sound and now I am curious if anyone has an answer for this?

I do not remember how long this sound lasted for and nor I remember what time of day it would start. I have read that some people will hear their heartbeats within a blood vessel by their ear but this wasn't the sound of a heart beat as it would speed up or is it somehow related to it? Also I have never had high blood pressure if someone asks that question.

Any questions or ideas of what this is/ was?

2. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Maybe your middle ear muscles were spasming? Just a guess.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Insane Noise

Insane Noise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      You could be right. Thank you for the reply.

4. BonjourHello

BonjourHello Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I just moved to a new area and started hearing this noise. I now live in a wooded area. If we are hearing the same noise, then I’m happy to report that this sound is actually the mating call of a wild grouse! They produce a drumming sound with their wings. You can find an example on YouTube!

• Like Like x 1
    5. Hapcol11

Hapcol11 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This has been happening to me the last couple of weeks. Exact same thing basketball dribbling getting faster as it hits the ground sound. Cannot tell if it’s my heart or inside my ear that’s doing it, either way I can hear it when it happens and my chest tenses up a bit.

Any further knowledge, let me know!