Hearing a High-Pitched Squealing Noise in Certain Areas of the House

Discussion in 'Support' started by makeyourownluck, Nov 8, 2021.

1. makeyourownluck
      Magical

makeyourownluck Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I hear a different high pitched squealing noise in certain areas of my house and in certain shops. When I walk away from these areas the noise disappears.

I know there are a few similar posts but usually it is when the person is around a PC or other electronic equipment. The noise I’m hearing is particularly bad in my hall which has no electric appliances.

Any ideas what this is? Other people do not hear the noise.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      Ventilation system?

3. TheHonoredOne

TheHonoredOne Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vaccine
      AC/Furnace is my guess.

4. Stacken77
      Wishful

Stacken77 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise (likely headphones & cars), Acoustic trauma did me in
      Most likely "sound distortions". I had a pure tone that overlayed my computer fan. Luckily, it did resolve after a few weeks.

Wish you well,
      Stacken

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      makeyourownluck
      Magical

makeyourownluck Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Brian P, @TheHonoredOne, thanks for the replies. I thought the same and looked about for any sound source nearby; however, I live in Scotland so don’t have a ventilation/AC system and my boiler is in the kitchen. There are also no plug point in my hall (I live in an old tenement - circa 1900’s) unless it’s the light switch making the noise but I hear it whether the light is on or off.

@Stacken77, I’ll look into sound distortions, thank you. Glad to hear it went away for you. I’ve had this issue for 4 months now. Hopefully it passes in time.

6. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      Hi @Stacken77.

I’m having a hard time differentiating between reactive tinnitus and sound distortions. One of my tinnitus tones when exposed to certain white noise, will increase in volume almost immediately. It will go back down to baseline once the external sound is gone. It’s a tone I can always hear. What would you classify this as?

When I had random bouts of “sound distortions”, early into my onset, people’s voices for example sounded robotic at times. Music sounded metallic and tinny. When the water faucet or shower was running, it had an overlayed sound to it. For me it had a sizzling bacon sound effect and it just sounded very cruel. I think this was all a precursor to developing hyperacusis... Very weird stuff.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    7. Stacken77
      Wishful

Stacken77 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise (likely headphones & cars), Acoustic trauma did me in
      Very good questions, @ZFire.
      Since science is lagging behind, we've had to make up our own terminology which undoubtedly has caused some confusion. As you understand, I'm no authority on the terminology, but here's my opinion;
      If it goes down immediately and "rides" on top of other sounds, I would personally classify this as a "sound distortion", and I believe that is what people mean by "sound distortions" on the forum. As I said, I had one (1) tone, in my left ear, that overlaid my computer fan. I also experienced this more strongly the day I had my acoustic trauma. This is all speculation, but I think that is a symptom of real damage that has been done to the inner ear, maybe to the synapses.

Now, I may be wrong, but I believe we enter another realm when the elevation in tinnitus lasts after the exposure has stopped; enter, spikes. I think that is a totally separate phenomenon, at least in my experience. I think spikes can happen due to numerous things, but if it's due to sound, I believe some degree of sound sensitivity/hyperacusis is at play.

Both types "reacts", and both types can be called "reactive tinnitus", but it can be confusing for sure. I think using the terms "sound distortions" and "spikes" separately makes for less confusion.

All the best to you,
      Stacken

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    8. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      This is almost spot on how I would describe my issues - especially for the first 1 year.

All these symptom (reactiveness, distortions and so on), or what you may call it, is according to my audiologist/counsellor a subset or a type of hyperacusis (sound sensitivity). Hyperacusis comes in many shapes and forms - with and without physical pain.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    9. Tau
      Probing

Tau Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2019-Concert, 2021-headphones/acoustic trauma at 110dB,16kHz
      I would add recruitment to that, too.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      How did you fix it?

11. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      The sound sensitivity was beginning to get worse when all this began for me, so I definitely see a correlation with all this.

I still remember when this all started for me. An idle truck whose engine was still running sounded much more louder than usual as I was walking by. I also started to notice that wind noise would produce a weird rattling sound distortion and I’m embarrassed to say this, but even peeing while standing up was giving me issues with reactivity/distortions.

This is still an on/off thing for me, but the trend seems upward for me or maybe I’m not noticing it as much. My sound tolerance has greatly improve since then, so I’m staying positive and hopeful.

It always give me a sign of relief that I’m not the only one who has experienced these bizarre symptoms. It makes me handle the situation a lot better now knowing that I’m not alone. I was in a constant state of panic and distress when all this stuff started. I had no idea what was going on.

• Like Like x 2
    12. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      It sure is an on/off thing for me as well. Some sounds/frequency are more annoying than others (and whether I am in control of the sound myself), but it can change a whole lot from day to day.

But, the good thing is, when measured over time, the trend is upwards. It can, and for most will, get better and improve a lot, but it is a slow process - with pretty much unavoidable setbacks (in my experience).

Btw, I've experienced the same issues as you early on with the peeing.

Wind noise can still bother from time to time, depending on the wind of course, but also how I feel that day.

But in general tolerance is getting stronger, and less distortions. This is where the focus should be - on the progress.

On a bad day, remember the good days, and that you are not back to square one. This process is not a straight line. Don't let the negative feelings overwhelm you. Rather try to distract yourself with something you can relate to in a positive way. Overfocusing the situation, thinking you are getting worse/"where will this end" an so on, will only make it worse to cope with. It is usually not rational thinking.

@Wrfortiscue, I didn't "fix it". It's an ongoing process :) If I can be comfortable in my own skin so to speak, and live with it without feeling it as such a burden that it removes all enjoyment in my life, I'm happy with that.

When you manage to get more and more of these days, that's a good sign of healing and/or habituation.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1