Hearing Aids and Masking

Discussion in 'Support' started by rhull, Mar 3, 2016.

1. rhull
      Alone

rhull Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guess I was born with it. Never not known life without T
      I've been trialing hearing aids the past week and a bit. I'm really unsure if they're working or not. I've been wearing them each day and they have improved my hearing at the higher frequencies a little, but the T is still roaring. Last Saturday I tried going the day without wearing them, and I felt really groggy and horrible.

Yesterday, I started to trial hearing aids with masking. At first, it seemed good, didn't block completely, but the hissing was nicer to listen to. After a day of using them, the outside of my ears are red, and I feel quite irritated and itchy inside my ears. I cleaned the outer part of my ear with cotten buds and part of my ears felt numb.

My wife looked in my ears and saw a bit of ear wax, and I'm wondering if the ear pieces are pushing wax down my tubes.

I have them out now, and my T is roaring. It seems to be get louder with more sound and is always worse at night compared to the morning. I feel very hot and sweaty, even though it's a steady 70F in here.

I just feel a mess. Has anyone experienced these symptoms with hearing aids?

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      rhull
      Alone

rhull Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guess I was born with it. Never not known life without T
      Well, discovered why it was causing so much itching, I went to the docs today and she looked in my ear and it's all red raw and has been bleeding where the aid was rubbing in my canal. So I have returned the hearing aids and the doc has prescribed Zoloft and Xanax to help me remain calm.

Have a referal to a tinnitus expert in Philly, so will make that appointment and start my road to rehabilitation proper.

3. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      @rhull,

Been wearing a hearing aid/masker for around 14 months now and never had any issues. I have an external type, with the little silver wire and tiny microphone that inserts into the ear canal. It has a very pliable latex sheath, over the mic, that is very soft. I change the sheath every 6 months.

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I get on well with my hearing aids but at times that do make my ears itch inside.
      I find my duel purpose one's really help .....lots of love glynis

Give them a try when your ears have settled down and use olive oil once or twice a week to help with wax.

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. Florida John

Florida John Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise, and possible head trauma
      How do you use the olive oil,,,I am cautious about my ears now,,,but you seem to have experience with it,,,,I am new here,,,, as I am struggling with increase in T from medicine,,,great support group

6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Put it in your ears once a week and use it 10 days before wax removal...lots of love glynis

• Informative Informative x 1