Hearing Aids and UK VAT?

Discussion in 'Support' started by iolosdad, Aug 30, 2016.

1. iolosdad

iolosdad Member

I've finally gotten round to getting my hearing tested, I've had tinnitus for a long time and I've basically been told to learn to live with it and it will pass....

Well I've been told I do have a mild hearing loss AND a hearing aid MIGHT help with my tinnitus, my question to UK users do you have any experience of buying hearing aids without paying VAT?

According to HMRC If the aids are bought for the purpose of masking tinnitus you don't have to pay the VAT, I'm waiting for the audiologist to call me back and HMRC have asked us to put our query in writing.

I had no idea hearing aids were so expensive ! Has anybody found wearing hearing aids to be helpful with tinnitus ?

2. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Have you tried going throught the NHS??

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      iolosdad

iolosdad Member

Yes GP has made a referral but I'm impatient now I know there is something that might make a difference, do you wear aids ?

4. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      No but i did trial one recently for a few minutes, did seem to make a bit of a differnce but i have a mild
      Loss at a couple of frequencies in one ear so am reluctant to go for an aid at the moment.

5. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      I know people say it helps. You can get them for free on the NHS with a masking sound feature too...

6. RAY
      Lurking

RAY Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus in left ear
      Hi I have moderate hearing loss in both ears and wear two behind the ear hearing aids. Go through the NHS route mine didn't cost me a bean and I get all the back up i need, free tubes and domes plus i get free hearing aid batteries its a no brainer. To answer your last question my aids have cut my Tinnitus by 90%(y)

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      iolosdad

iolosdad Member

Thank you for the replies

I went ahead and bought 2 hearing aids, Supersavers have a sale on and they are reduced buy £800 for the pair.
      My NHS refer want sent two weeks ago and today i have had a letter to confirm my name is on the waiting list .... I'll still go for an assessment and get some advice about tinnitus.
      Less than 24 hours with the hearing aids and they are very comfortable to wear I can hear things I've not noticed before like my keyboard when i type and the nouse my dogs collar makes with his id tag :) I still struggled a little in my yoga class last night to hear the teacher but the audiologist explained to me that for the first two weeks i need to start with aids that are below my prescription until i get used to wearing them. He doesn't want to add the tinnitus masker until my next assessment in two weeks time ...
      I can still hear my noise but - early days but i am feeling confident and positive.