Hearing Aids for Masking

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bertman, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Bertman
      No Mood

Bertman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concert
      Hello everyone.

I'm currently thinking about getting some hearing aids for masking purposes and to possibly use for TRT later down the road.

Can anyone give me reviews of the ones they wear?

I've seen ones by Oticon, Starkey, Resound and Widex that have tinnitus therapy (masking) built in but would like a little more first hand knowledge on which ones work the best.

I wouldn't really need aids if I didn't have tinnitus, so just noise generators would also work, but the thing about the hearing aids is that they seem to be more styled and discrete compared to general noise generators, and that would be a big factor for me as I would be far more comfortable wearing them while out and about.

Thanks in advance!

2. Steve721

Steve721 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2015
      If you don't really need hearing aids, you might consider these maskers, which I know some TRT clinicians use:

https://generalhearing.com/professional/tinnitus-products/

They look very much like hearing aids and would, I assume, cost considerably less.

I have hearing loss and use the Unitron Moxie Fit Pro (behind the ear/receiver in the canal) hearing aids. I like the hearing aids, and the broadband maskers work well when my T is noisy. However, they are very expensive. I've also tried the Widex hearing aids; Widex markets their "zen" maskers (which play random musical notes), but I think TRT requires broadband noise maskers, but Widex has an option for that as well. Most audiologists will allow you to try hearing aids for thirty days before buying; you might try some of them and see what you like. But frankly I don't see much of a reason to buy hearing aids if you don't have hearing loss.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bertman
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concert
      @Steve721 Yeah I saw those GHI ones before. And thanks for the input. The reason I am considering the aids is because I am under both my parents medical plans as well as have one for myself through university. So I don't think cost will be as much of an issue as it normally would be. So basically I am going to try and find whatever I like the best and then look at cost (I wouldn't get the top of the line ones anyways)

4. Quentino
      Tired

Quentino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Decrease of Hearing i presume.
      But are you sure those insurance will pay for hearing aids if you don't have hearing loss?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bertman
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concert
      @Quentino That's true, I'll have to inquire about that. Thanks.

6. MWattie82

MWattie82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi,

Has anyone else tried a tinnitus masking hearing aid. I had one fitted yesterday and it seems to help.

Although not at bedtime when I take it out!

7. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      What does it do? How does it help you?