Hearing Good on a Good Tinnitus Day, Hearing Bad on a Bad Tinnitus Day?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Philippa Graham, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Philippa Graham

Philippa Graham Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tonsil
      I know I am winding myself up completely but kind words or advice would be appreciated.

Thursday- have tumble dryer in boot whilst driving home. Quite loud but not enough for me to plug my ears even. That night notice ears aren’t right. Loud ringing all night.

Friday- left ear feels full and can’t pop it.

Saturday- left ear feels full right ear feels full and ringing. Also super sensitive to sound and playing everything back to me at high pitches screeches.

Sunday- same as Saturday.

Monday- both ears still feel full but the ringing has greatly decreased and a low rumble has taken its place.

Tuesday- same as Monday but with dizziness and getting sent home from work. Took an online hearing test which came back normal.

Wednesday- back to high ringing and screeching feedback. Took an online hearing test and came back as mild hearing loss on right ear where the ringing is.

What does this mean!? Surely if my tinnitus was noise induced it wouldn’t get better for two days then worse!?

So far the doctor thinks it ETD due to me not being able to pop my ears and hearing a ‘sticky/crackly’ sound when opening my mouth. I’ve been taking nasal decongestants, very strong antihistamine, ibuprofen but nothing is shifting it for good. I really thought I was done with the ringing but now it’s worse than even :-(

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      @Philippa Graham I've taken online hearing tests as well as tests performed by my audiologist and every one resulted in a spike in my tinnitus. As a result, I'll only have them done, when necessary, by the audiologist.

3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      The description seems to suggest acoustic trauma but it may be both that and ETD playing foul at the same time. Right now your ear fullness indicates some problem or unstable condition with the ears. Is your doctor who suggests ETD an ENT? Did he examine your ears? Usually the super sensitivity to sound suggests some element of hyperacusis which usually come from acoustic trauma with a high pitch tinnitus. Anyway, best is to have an ENT check out the ears. Good luck. God bless.

4. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      Gotta say I have the exact same symptoms. The other day my t went down for some reason and my hearing was clear as a bell. I'll be following this and hope you get it sorted

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Philippa Graham

Philippa Graham Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tonsil
      UPDATE- My doc thinks it’s viral Labyrinthitis as I had a head cold 2 weeks prior to this starting and I’ve had quite bad bouts of dizziness!
      The Hyperacusis seems to come and go.
      Realised that the tumble dryer in the boot had happened much earlier in the week than initially though so couldn’t be the trigger. Hope it starts to clear up soon I’m so scared about having this ringing forever :-(