Hearing Lingering Hiss After Congestion

Discussion in 'Support' started by James Foley, Apr 21, 2020.

1. James Foley

James Foley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      For a while now I've suffered from tinnitus spikes caused by congestion. I take Beconase twice a day and a once a day antihistamine and this usually keeps things under control. The spikes usually last around an hour or two and fluctuate a lot with a fullness feeling.

About a week or so ago I had the fullness and spike for a few days in a row. After the third time, although the fullness and hearing went back to normal, I have a persistent hiss. Usually better in the mornings but does get worse throughout the day. Taking Sudafed does feel like it helps, but once it wears off I'm back to the usual hiss. Next on my list of things to try is steam inhalations.

Is lingering tinnitus common after bouts of congestion / ETD? Also, is it possible I've hit a point where Beconase / antihistamines are no longer effective?

2. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      Hi James.

I just posted here for the first time in 5 years. Got T after an AC/DC concert in 2015. It took me a while to habituate but I did and really haven’t been bothered for several years. Then last night, a spike ( big one) and change in my left ear only, followed by a feeling of fullness in my ear and some pain / pressure. The sound is different from my usual T. Kind of like a hiss/ whooshing sound. Has been going on for abt 24 hours. I suspect I have fluid and congestion in my ear. I always have allergic rhinitis so congestion is common. I have had congestion before but no major spikes like this so Clearlt I have been very, very lucky. My friends with T all report spikes when they get congested. This is my first really scary spike because it is louder than I have ever experienced and of course, all the anxiety I experienced the first time I got T came rushing back. I have a Telehealth visit with my ENT tomorrow. Not sure what he can do without examining my ear.
      I do hope your T decreases with time. I have heard that the sinus rinses have helped those with sinus congestion and T. You may want to try that.
      Best,
      Danielle

3. PugDog1

PugDog1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Low iron, low b12, chronic sinusitis
      Hi @James Foley
      I suffer badly with sinus/ETD and I get that hiss often! Usually towards the end of an episode, like you Sudafed seems to really relieve it. I use a humidifier at night & a microwaveable wheat bag to ease it as well. I think it’s just a waiting game to be honest!

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      James Foley

James Foley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This is the first time its really been an issue, and every time I feel like things are improving I'd wake up the next day only to be back at square one.

I think the concern is I really don't have any other symptoms other than the new hiss.