Hearing Loss After Water Slap

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Bradk28, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Bradk28

Bradk28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Water slap
      hi guys,
      New to the forum and unfortunately I’m suffering from some hearing loss in my right ear.

I went cliff jumping this past weekend (Saturday) and landed awkwardly into the water. I landed directly on my ear and the water smacked it very hard. Immediately I felt a sharp pain in my ear as well as feeling extremely dizzy.

For the next several hours I had a lot of pain in my right ear as well as into the right side of my jaw. I went to the doctor that following Monday to get things check out because I was afraid I ruptured my eardrum.

However the doctor told me it is just very bruised and swollen.

He said it could take up to 2 weeks for me to notice an improvement in my hearing. It’s been 3 full days and my hearing is still very muted in the right ear. And I’m constantly hearing a ringing sound.

I’m just looking for other opinions because the doctor was pretty brief. Should I just keep waiting things out? Or could I put some drops into my ear to possibly help eliminate any water trapped inside it?

Any help is appreciated
      Thanks!
      Brad

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I wouldn't put anything in the ears, but I'd probably ask for a 2nd opinion fairly quickly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I would get a doctor to give me a prednisone prescription. You need to do this as soon as possible (as in rush to the emergency room as soon as you read this), as it is most effective when taken early.

I would also try getting HBOT treatments.

You will find more information about prednisone and HBOT
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...itus-recently-this-info-will-be-useful.25741/

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Get a prednisone shot in the ear asap or IV or oral by order of preference

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bradk28

Bradk28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Water slap
      Hey guys just saw your responses. Unfortunately I am currently outside of the U.S and am having trouble finding a good doctor. Terrible timing for this to happen.
      I will see if I can head to the emergency room without being charged an absurd amount after work today.

If I just leave it be do you guys think it may not get any better? I called my home doctors office as well and they said it could take roughly over a week - 2 weeks to regain my hearing.

I've been taking ibuprofen regularly to help with the swelling hopefully or is that not enough?
      It's been 4 full days now and the ringing still hasn't gone away.

Thanks for the input guys,
      I appreciate it.

6. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      I'd be glad for an opportunity to spend an absurd money to get rid of T

Don't waste time it does not work well past a certain time period

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. nesto
      Amazed

nesto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      water slap
      Hiii Bradk28 and guys, last sunday the same happened to me.

I jumped into the water from a height of around 5 meters, I also entered ankwarly and probably hit my right ear. I had hearing loss the first two days but then I recover, it's been six days now and I don't feel hearing loss, but the T has been the same and maybe a bit worst, since I didn't take care and went to a bar two days after the event :/ (stupid decision).

The day after the incident I went to the doctor, cause was worried about a ear drum damage, but the same as you he just told me it only looked swollen and bruised. He also told me that it would take few weeks to recover, but I don't want to way until the T is permanent.

I'm a bit worried about the T being permanent, it's been only 5 days now, so I wanted to ask you:

Did you fully recover from your T Bradk28?
      What would you advice me to do guys?
      Should I go and ask for steroids?

PD. I'm living in Germany, I don't know if there is a place I could go here to take a look.

8. Manny
      In pain

Manny Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      central gain << NIHL
      If I'd have to guess, there's a strong likelihood you'll recover completely.
      Regarding steroids, if it was me i'd still go and ask for them, absolutely. That is what I would do personally.

9. JaySchro

JaySchro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication, and later a water slap
      Hi guys, any updates on your symptoms or solutions that worked? I have the same situation where an awkward water landing has caused ringing and reduced hearing in my right ear. It's been about a month now. Ear partially pops when I yawn but never goes back to normal. Let me know if something worked for you. Thanks!

• Hug Hug x 1