Hearing Loss and Tinnitus — Is There Hope? Can Tinnitus Be Reversible?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kritish Gooriah, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Kritish Gooriah
      Buzzed

Kritish Gooriah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear surgery acoustic trauma tmj ETD
      Hi everybody,

I have a sensorineural hearing loss, I don't know if it's permanent, and I have tinnitus, I would like to know, if this kind of tinnitus is reversible please?

2. GeorgiaRose1812

GeorgiaRose1812 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 7th 201&
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Came on with tonsillitis, unknown
      Hiya, I’m no expert but I’m sure @Michael Leigh and @Bill Bauer will be happy to help you out, both were very informative and kind to me when I first popped up

3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Kritish Gooriah

Some types of sensorineural hearing loss can be reversible. If it was caused by acoustic trauma (loud noise) it may be helped by medical therapy. I note that you have had ear surgery and also have ETD. I feel your question is best answered by your ENT doctor, who will be able to examine you and make a diagnoses and discuss treatment options. If loud noise did contribute to your hearing loss, I advise you to be careful of further exposure to loud noise. Please do not use earplugs or earmuffs to facilitate this as I do not believe they are necessary, and they are likely to make your auditory system more sensitive to sound, which could cause other problems. Of course, if you are in an overly loud environment then use earplugs but make it brief and don't become reliant on them.

As you are new to tinnitus I understand how it can make you feel. Therefore, please click on the links below and read my posts. Start with: New to tinnitus what to do. Try to read them in full and not skim through them.

All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/is-positivity-important.23150/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-the-negative-mindset.23705/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/acquiring-a-positive-mindset.23969/

4. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Check out the research threads, particularly "inner-ear-hair-cell-regeneration" and "Frequency Therapeutics." There is hope.

• Like Like x 2
    5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kritish Gooriah
      Buzzed

Kritish Gooriah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you for your responses :), i began to read the differents threads, my new ENT don't make a diagnose, he made me exams (audiograms...), my hearing went back up a little between the first exam on 20 september 2017 and the second exam on 8 november 2017 and the first ENT confirm this fact on 16 november 2017: he has taken hearing readings between -10 decibels and -20 décibels on the tested frequencies. Before the surgery and my potential acoustic trauma, a ENT has taken hearing readings in -10 décibels on the tested frequencies. They didn't tell me, if this is a consequence of the surgery or the acoustic trauma or both. But my new ENT told me, that my tinnitus is a potential consequence of the surgery and he can disappear.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kritish Gooriah
      Buzzed

Kritish Gooriah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have a spike with a pain with the kid of my sister, she yelled strong one time and with the voice of my sister, she talked with a distorted voice when she came, it's my anxiety? The pain is due to the noise? For my doctor, my ear pain since few days, is due to my cold.
      I have the feeling of ear fullness most important than usual.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kritish Gooriah
      Buzzed

Kritish Gooriah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I see my ENT today, my hearing has improved in air conduction and in bone conduction, it's planned a ear surgery for close my eardrum and verify my ossicles. My hearing is "sub-normal", if i understand. For him, my tinnitus can fade, because i don't hear my tinnitus at times or the noise dominate my tinnitus, i can hear only a occasional tinnitus (it happened to me one time), i forgot speak to him, of the ear fullness symptom.

9. Nanny chocolate

Nanny chocolate Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unbelievable caused by audiologist!
      That sounds very encouraging for you. Your T doesn’t sound too intrusive but if I know that is subjective! Good that your ear can be repaired and hopeful for you.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kritish Gooriah
      Buzzed

Kritish Gooriah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you, i hope recover all my hearing and the fading of my tinnitus. My ENT told me, the variation of the tinnitus is a good sign, i spoke him of the chronic cold (i forgot speak to him, of the ETD), he told me to use nasal spray for to improve my situation. I'll call the hospital tommorow, for inform him.