Hearing Loss from Exercise??

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lauren Morse, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Lauren Morse
      Cowabunga

Lauren Morse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic Trauma/Migraines
      Hi all,

Well this is the second time my hearing was diminished from strenuous exercise. Lost some in the very high frequencies and in frequencies where previous damage occurred. Still no recovery. Interestingly no other symptoms this time except for pressure feelings and crackling sounds in the head.

I was kayaking on a lake but had to load and unload the 40+ pound kayak into my car, and also drag it about a 5th of a mile to and from the water. Reasonably hard work but I've done harder.

I DID get dehydrated that evening, although I was drinking water regularly and finished off about 2 liters during the time I was kayaking.

Anyone share this experience? If you did, did the doctor give you any insight as to why it happened?

Thanks!

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      This happened to me, too. Long story short, I ran a marathon and as a result got more hearing loss and tinnitus.

I always had hearing loss since I was a kid, but never a diagnosis until this happened. After a high resolution cat scan, my nuerotologist identified enlarged vestibular aqueducts which is associated with hearing loss. It is believed that increased head pressure somehow causes drops in hearing. You can google EVAS or LVAS for more info.

-Mike

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lauren Morse
      Cowabunga

Lauren Morse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hmm, thanks for the help and thoughts!

I had a high res. CT scan done recently, and just yesterday my doctor checked it again for concerns that I had a perilymph fistula. He never suggested anything like this condition from those scans, nor did he see and fistulas in my ear. I also do not have a childhood history of hearing loss...I started losing a bit of hearing at 17 but that was from IPod use, not like what I have been going through for the past 6 months.

The head pressure does seem to play a factor though. I had a migraine today that likely stemmed from the same event. Felt like my head was being blown up like a balloon, and then my ears felt waterlogged...do you get this?

The only other thing I could think of was the dehydration. Yet I drank 7 glasses of water today and I am still getting symptoms, which makes me think to rule that out.

Well, guess the mystery continues....finding a new doctor now for sure!

4. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      Good luck with the next Doctor. What I have is relatively new in the medical world and so it isn't often tested or looked for. Can't say I experienced what you had from a migraine, but then again I don't really get migraines.

5. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      I hope you went to see a doctor about this. A leak of the inner ear perilymph will cause those symptoms.

http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/unilat/fistula.html

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lauren Morse
      Cowabunga

Lauren Morse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Even migraines can be a sign of this? These headaches are so odd; they originate in the temples then spread to the sinuses every time. That seems far away from the ear...

I am going to see a second neuro-otologist who actually wrote articles about perilymph fistulas. My previous NO only looked at the CT scan and my previously listed symptoms and said with confidence that I had no such thing. Then again CT scans are not very reliable for really small fistulas, so I don't know if I should trust him.