Hearing Protection for MRI Exam?

Discussion in 'Support' started by nuno1976, Nov 27, 2018.

1. nuno1976
      Jaded

nuno1976 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      Hello,

I will have an MRI for my TMJ in about a month and I need to take all the precautions to protect my hearing.
      I already know the MRI machine will be a 1.5 Tesla.

My question is, what hearing protection should I use during the exam?

I am looking to buy a customized ear protection, the ACS PRO26, which should assure an average of 27 dB sound reduction.

On top of this, I might use earmuffs.

What do you think? What is your suggestion?

Thanks.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @nuno1976 Really need to know make and year. Also you should find out if they have ear muffs or noise blocking headphones to use over your plugs.
      Pre 2013 1.5 Tesla devices range from 101.8 to 111.7 dB.
      Most new 1.5 depending on make and model should be softer.

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/crira/2013/510258/

3. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Correctly worn foam earplugs with highest NRR possible which I think is 33 dB plus good quality ear muffs. You should ask them what their NRR is and if they don’t know, don’t do the MRI until you know for sure.

4. slipware
      Bookworm

slipware Member

Tinnitus Since:
      The trouble with taking your own ear protection, ear muffs is that during the MRI they need to speak to you through the speaker, and you’ll need to be able to hear and respond. I’ve had a few MRI's and they always give you both foam plugs and ear muffs, just make sure they fit snugly. Good luck.

5. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Wow, I guess it’s just me that only got ear plugs. This doesn’t seem to be normal practice, why would this of happened to me?

How many other people have damage from this shithole? Don’t use EFW radiology!!! The tech that I had, had no clue how loud the machines were, offered me f::king pillows instead of muffs?? These people deserve to be put in jail for life. They have completely destroyed me with no consequence.

6. Earforartsache

Earforartsache Member

Tinnitus Since:
      16 months ago
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am in the UK and can tell you my MRI machine was loud as hell with headphones on. What really got my attention was the noise level of the music being played through the headphones. Not a great idea for any tinnitus sufferer. :(

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      nuno1976
      Jaded

nuno1976 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      I am scared to proceed with the MRI...
      In fact, my ENT suggested me not to go to the MRI, but the TMJ doctor suggested it could help to give a better diagnosis.
      But honestly she didn't promise anything, just said it could help, but that I only should do it if I feel comfortable with it....

On a first thought, it seemed a good idea, I had the impression that with ear protectors + ear muffs the risk would be close to zero. But I guess I was wrong, after reading all the testimonials on Tinnitus Talk...

8. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly from problems with blood flow
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...s-is-noise-induced-dont-ever-do-an-mri.32565/

My tinnitus was unilateral along with plethora of neck and vascular problems. I got scared, because other symptoms were quite severe. I should have left my moderate tinnitus alone and just let it fade away on its own.

I listened to the doctors and took the risk. Worst mistake of my life. I used double protection and the machine was under 99 dB.

Checking back on my notes it seems that after an MRI I have also developed TTTS and Acoustic Shock Syndrome in my left ear.

I'm praying that HBOT treatment will save me. I don't know what else to do.

You can read the story of @Telis in this thread too. I feel so sorry for him, his story is unfathomable.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. Risa

Risa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am new to the ringing and it's been tough. I live in the USA and it began around 2/2/19. I did see an audiologist who said it was probably due to the medications I had been taken and had stopped taking them already (though we're not certain if that's what caused it). Unfortunately, the ringing didn't go away.

It does seem to have gotten louder in March and a little louder going into April.

I have an MRI for my head/spine scheduled this weekend. I'm nervous about it.

What is the best brand of ear plugs that I should purchase?

Any suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated.

10. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
    11. Yas

Yas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/11/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      I have an MRI scan on Friday to see if they can uncover the cause of my tinnitus.

Will standard foam earplugs be effective to protect my tinnitus from getting louder when paired up with the ear muffs that they provide?

What earplugs would you recommend?

12. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I think people might suggest using muffs. Not sure though.

13. astaff14

astaff14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax/Botched Irrigation/Noise Trauma
      Is your tinnitus unilateral?

I’ve heard of a lot of people getting their tinnitus much worse from MRIs.

14. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Foam earplugs fully inserted with a NRR of 33, such as Moldex Meteors, or Howard Leight Max 1. Also, you should have ear muffs on top, but they need to be metal free so the facility needs to provide MRI compatible ones. Inquire that they have this, and not just the headphones that are designed for you to follow instructions, with little in the way of hearing protection. Also, some MRI's are less noisy, and they should be sought out.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    15. Yas

Yas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/11/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      hi, I’m not sure what you mean by unilateral? I’ve got it in my left ear caused by a perforation that hasn’t healed.

I am staying away from reading about those stories. I just want to be as protected as possible and get my mri done!

16. Yas

Yas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/11/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      This is brilliant thank you for the earplug suggestion.

oh wow I didn’t know that. It says they provide headphones that play music. Are these not effective?
      I will give them a call about the ear muffs. Do I provide my own?

17. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      @Yas

The headphones for the music is a distraction, but not hearing protection in most cases. I would not use them unless they could provide a NRR and it was on par with a decent set of muffs.

At most MRI's, they won't let you bring your own ear muffs as they need to be metal free, and MRI compatible. You need to ask up front if they will accommodate you, and if not, go to an MRI that will. Too many horror stories of folks getting stuffed into the MRI with the earplugs falling out, or just the headphones, and getting really bad tinnitus from it.

https://www.healthimaging.com/topic...ommend-better-hearing-protection-mri-patients

https://radiology.duke.edu/wp-conte...aring-Protection-During-MRI-Exams-2.12.15.pdf

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    18. Yas

Yas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/11/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      Thank you for your help. I called up the MRI department and told them my problem. They said they will provide me with earplugs and earmuffs. I will still take my own earplugs and if they don’t accommodate me with proper earplugs I will refuse to go in the machine.
      Thank you for your help!

19. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      At this link, they mention
      ScanSound Headphones: 49 dB attenuation

49 dB?!?!? When I try to use Google to find ScanSound headphones, I don't get anything. What are we to make of this?

Also, I remember there someone mentioning headphones that don't have any metal in them, that could be used in an MRI machine. It wasn't Peltor X5A... Would anyone know what headphones could be used during an MRI?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    20. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      • Informative Informative x 1
    21. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      You are welcome. If you have good ear plugs that fit you well, bring them as theirs may not be as good, or fit you as well. These MRI's are very loud in too many cases- often exceeding 100 dB's- so glad you got some info upfront. There have been too many horror stories of bad tinnitus from them!

22. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    23. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Most welcome.

• Like Like x 1
    24. Yas

Yas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/11/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      Hi guys.

My appointment for the MRI scan was today and I completely had an anxiety attack and chickened out.

I didn’t have the correct earplugs and did not trust the NHS to accommodate for me so I rescheduled the appointment.

I’m going to ask my ENT if it’s 100% necessary to do an MRI, then go into it with a little bit more preparation.

Thanks for all the advice.

25. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      That sounds like what you should have done. Be sure to have the right earplugs, as many folks have worsened their tinnitus plunging ahead without the right protection. Next time, be sure to bring your favorite earplugs.

26. Star64
      Kick ass

Star64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I understand your concern about having the MRI as they can be loud, you need to protect your ears as much as possible. If you need to reschedule your appointment make sure they are aware of your concerns and that you have the panic button to press if needed.

I recently had an MRI and wore both ear plugs and ear muffs which reduced the noise significantly. I also am claustrophobic so I made sure my finger was close to that panic button at all times.

Luckily I did not need to push it.

Do not be afraid to speak up if you are uncomfortable at any stage during the procedure. :huganimation:

• Agree Agree x 3
    27. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      The only type of MRI machines which are quiet enough to not result in any damage with earplugs are the TOSHIBA /CANON MEDICAL VANTAGE series, because they use a set of patented, unique hardware noise-reduction modification. This will make any type of scan quieter, not just some software sequences as it is with the GE machines.

You need to contact the local sales office by phone and ask them which facilities have installed these machines near you, then go there with set of good foam plugs, deeply inserted will suffice.

I had a long 30 min deep stomach scan with a 3T Vantage machine and at worst it sounded like being inside a noisy banging subway car maybe 85 dB max. No muffs are provided as they create image noise even without metal parts.

https://us.medical.canon/products/magnetic-resonance/vantage-titan-15t/

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      Same experience here. I've had a session in a silent MRI, type 3T, where they supplied two layers of hearing protection on top of that. Sounds mostly resembled a really loud vacuum cleaner, relatively comfortable to handle.

Had to drive a few hours to get there, but it was a day well spend: no risk of hearing damage while having a MRI :)

• Like Like x 1
    29. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      I wish I had known all about this and not gotten an idiot for a technician that didn’t follow the manufacturers requirement for hearing protection... and didn’t forget to give me the call button.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    30. jpr992

jpr992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Dear members,

I need to have an MRI on my knee, and I have 2 model options: Toshiba Vantage Galan 3T, or Toshiba Vantage Elan 1.5T, both with "Pianissimo" technology. The model Vantage Elan should be quiter because it's 1.5T right?

Another question: Do you know of any place in Europe to buy MRI safe earmuffs from? The hospital only provides earplugs, and I want extra protection.

The only site I found so far is this one:

https://www.earplugstore.com/mri-safe-proears-ultra-pro-earmuffs.html, which is in the US.

Best regards!