Hearing Something WAY TOO LOUD in the Ear Tinnitus Was Mainly In

Discussion in 'Support' started by Marie79, May 20, 2016.

1. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Ok so I HEAR the tinnitus less or maybe it's just my perception of it but what I have more now is this feeling that I am hearing something WAY TOO LOUD in that ear that the T was in mainly.

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?

I don't know how else to explain this. Is it ear fullness? It just feels like I have headphones on loud and even background noise seems diminished.

Maybe I have just gotten so used to masking noises I don't know what it's like to be in silence again. I know many of you think I shouldn't be on here but I don't know who else to ask. It just feels bad and is concerning me.

2. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      So your hearing things louder now than they are?Textbook Hyperacusis/Dysacusis if you ask me.

3. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      It sounds like H.
      Sometimes sitting in complete silence can make sounds sound higher then normal, but only very temporarily.
      I was fortune enough not to get H on top of my T. However I am illogically afraid of sounds, like anyone else here on the forum :)

4. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Textbook hyperacusis would mean that everyday sounds would appear unpleasant or painful.
      The OP states that she only hears things more loud.
      I would just guess, judging from her other threads, that she has some serious OCD stuff going on and she needs to calm down, be happy that her tinnitus has diminished and go to a shrink already.

Sorry for the tone of my post but she should realize she went through a tough situation and maybe it has affected her in ways that are difficult to comprehend.
      For most of us, having our tinnitus go away should be a very happy occasion, but that doesn't mean we won't be suffering some sort of post traumatic shock disorder - even if we don't realize it at first.

5. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      I understand your point. I would suggest for anyone that has "got stuck" on your T despite it getting better to avoid the forum for a while until one have habituated more. Otherwise you keep reading and reminding yourself on it. I see a therapist since I am getting scared and worried with very loud noises (a bus honking is scary and gets me worried my T get worse), all these fear are somewhat illogical and therefore I want to overcome it. So yes, I believe a lot of here have similar fear/phobia or issues with sound.

6. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hyperacusis=An increased sensitivity to sound or decreased sound tolerance.Most common symptom is everyday sounds and or certain frequency ranges appear louder or un-pleasant.

Noxacusis=Is Hyperacusis with pain or sound induced pain.

So yeah what she's experiencing is textbook Hyperacusis but the question is why is she experiencing this?Hearing damage?Anxiety?Thats the question she needs to find the answer to.
      Step1:Try to reduce her anxiety i.e CBT
      Step2:See an audiologist experienced in T and H and have an LDL test done to confirm whether Hyperacusis is present or not.Thats my advice and believe me I'm well experienced on what steps someone should take if they come down with Hyperacusis,telling someone it's only anxiety or phonophobia is dangerous and shouldn't be recommended until an evaluation has been done to determine the cause.

Someone telling me it's only anxiety is the sole reason my H worsened.

7. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Please don't think that at ALL. I have read some of the feedback on other threads related to that and I am here to say that you have every right and reason to come on here and ask whatever you need to ask in order to feel supported.

I used to work in healthcare with kids and the kids I worked with had disabilities ranging from severe to mild. The parents of a child with a mild disability had every reason to expect the same level of care and compassion from me (and they had every reason to be entirely concerned and compassionate with regard to raising and helping their child) as the parents of a child with a severe disability.

There shouldn't be any comparing of severity when it comes to getting support and even ranting and venting here. It is a support forum.

Hope that puts it into perspective. Please post here whenever you need to! :)

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1