Heart Problems, Tinnitus Cured After Surgery

Discussion in 'Support' started by jeannie, Dec 6, 2015.

1. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      i was in church last week and the preacher was telling a story about his brother ,and said his brother suffered from a terrible condition of his ears ringing, and he went to the doctor, and doctor did all kinds of testing and found out he had valve problems to his heart and needed surgery, well after his surgery his ringing went away, and they contributed it to heart valve problems causing the tinnitus.. has anyone ever heard of this?

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I didn't, but your story about a case in which a blood circulation problem in the heart, so very far from the ears, can cause ringing, IS VERY INTERESTING.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      o_O I read somewhere when I initially began searching about T that certain heart conditions can cause T. I've been having heart palpitations/tachycardia and have seen a cardiologist several times.. I mentioned this to him and he had no idea what condition could correlate between T and heart problems..

• Like Like x 1
    4. MrNobody89
      Lucky

MrNobody89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1980
      I hope this reply helps. I was rushed to the hospital about a year ago for emergency surgery to repair a dissected aorta. Only about 3 out of 100 make it to the operating room, so I found out that I still have a guardian angel. The surgery went well, and NO heart disease. Many years ago, I was a rocker on tour. I definitely acquired my tinnitus from prolonged exposure to LOUD music/ It was bad enough that I needed a bit of white noise to sleep. Since I recuperated from the operation,, my tinnitus has mysteriously disappeared. I have not been able to find much about this phenomenon searching the internet, but I am thrilled!

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 2
    5. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      You know, I think I'd take a chance on a dissecting aortic aneurysm as a possible Tinnitus cure.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AlexSongitus

AlexSongitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Woah. Congratulations on both!

I tried to get my physician today to listen for pulsatile or objective tinnitus, just to at least eliminate one cause, but he almost felt offended that I asked because I found out information on the net, didn't at all want to look for any other cardiovascular related problems and basically just wants to let my ENT handle it. And of course the ENTs I saw have zero interest in looking into anything other than my original claim of audio/trauma based T.

However I wonder if you read this article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...emailing-expert-3-000-miles-away-America.html

Obviously completely different area but it could also be cardiovascular related. It's definitely interesting. Unfortunately I just don't think the rest of us are going to have much success convincing our doctors to open us up for T....

7. MrNobody89
      Lucky

MrNobody89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1980
      I know what you mean. My tinnitus was pretty bad, and I had given up hope for a cure. I can only speculate at this time. Maybe a long time under anesthesia (5+hours?). I do hope I can find more information regarding this phenomenon, so I can pass it on to help. Hopefully no surgery will be necessary.

8. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      That's awesome! I'm happy for you.

What anesthetic did they use to put you under? Ketamine is being investigated in acute onset tinnitus to calm the nerves down.

9. MrNobody89
      Lucky

MrNobody89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1980
      I don't know what anesthetic was used. That's s very good question. I will find out and post.

10. Bruce Graham

Bruce Graham Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      I just joined the group and this is my first post. I've started to look for a link between heart surgery and tinnitus. I've had mild tinnitus for many years. Two years ago it ticked up slightly but still mild. Last January it started to escalate. Each week/month it would be a little worse until it was a consuming experience. I had an MRI, MRA, cranial angiogram and another MRI. All the while, it escalated. including throbbing in the back of the neck and ears. Long story short nothing showed up indicating a cause.

Then on Nov. 17, 2015 I had bypass surgery and a mitral valve repair including a mitral valve ring.

For three weeks after surgery my tinnitus was about 1/5 what it was and I could generally ignore. It was no longer pulsitile., no throbbing. My normal heart rate before surgery was 60 +/- and after surgery was 95. However, after the 3rd week, my tinnitus started to escalate until today it is as annoying as it was before. It's not as pulsitile, but I've attributed that to a much higher heart rate. Not is there episodes of throbbing as there was before. And it has not yet stabilized at a specific level.

So the question is: why did it suddenly get much better with the surgery, then why has it gotten worse again so quickly after the short respite?

Current meds are: 1) metoprolol ER 25mg , 2) atorvastatin 20mg , 3) HCTZ 25mg 4) LD aspirin, 5) vitamin D3 1000 IU.

11. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      That was the first thing that came up in my mind. I would have expected though for the tinnitus to return after a while. But the noise damage will still be there. So noise induced tinnitus can go away.
      Interesting!

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Salicylates? (Aspirin)

13. PatJeffrey

PatJeffrey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long strenous jog on a hot summer day in 1995.
      Ive had Tinnitus for 25 years. Was recently diagnosed with severe mitral valve regurgitation. Having open heart surgery soon. I'll let you know if there's any difference in my Tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    14. PatJeffrey

PatJeffrey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long strenous jog on a hot summer day in 1995.
      Had the successful heart valve surgery 2 weeks ago. Still have the Tinnitus. Fyi

• Hug Hug x 3
    15. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @PatJeffrey ,
      Lovely to hear your operation went well.
      love glynis