Heat Therapy Makes My Tinnitus Go Away

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Avabelle, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Avabelle

Avabelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Early 2015
      I injured my back, neck and ears a couple of weeks ago and developed ear popping and clicking that interferes with my sleep.

If I apply heat to my ears, head, and neck...my tinnitus totally stops for hours. Why is this?

The tinnitus comes back...but at least I can get some temporary relief.

I have used a heating pad and immersed my head in a hot bath.

My T has improved considerable over the last couple of weeks - but I can't lift anything or it comes right back.

I would love to hear some feedback.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      Hi Avabelle,

Keep in mind this is coming from a non-medical person, but the first thing that came to mind for me was perhaps the heat allows you to relax muscles that you normally hold tense, even unknowingly. Especially since lifting items seems to exacerbate the tinnitus. Heat tends to let things relaaax : )

Maybe something to think about/ask your doctor about considering it started with an injury. There are all kind of little muscles and connections that can get irked and out of alignment and cause strange things.

I hope that helps even just a little bit to maybe start a conversation with your doc and that you experience more improvement!

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Dawn Whinetaker

Dawn Whinetaker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      I'm also not a doctor, and I'm relatively new to this forum- but I have to agree that it could be largely in part to the heat relaxing your muscles. Heat therapy was actually one of the first things I tried for my tinnitus, but it didn't seem to aid me. It's great that it's working for you- and it may show that your tinnitus is correlated to some kind of muscle tension around your ears. Have you discussed trying a muscle relaxer with your doctor?

• Like Like x 1
    4. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Heat moves out inflammation so it is very possible your neck head are inflamed ... apply some anti-inflammatory gel and you can even do a short course of cortisone (Celestone is good - it may aggravate symptoms at first but after gives relief) if my interpretation of your symptoms is right. TMJ also causes inflammation of the jaw and this influences the ear and can cause Tinnitus. my ENT said to apply gel, take cortisone and apply heat to jaw and ear.

• Like Like x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Avabelle

Avabelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Early 2015
      I just got back from physiotherapy and you are all correct - my tinnitus is due to inflammation in my head and neck. I am a lot better...but I am still having problems when I sleep. For some strange reason, the clicking and popping starts when my ear is on the pillow at night. The noise wakes me up and I haven't had much sleep :(
      I just took a cucurmin supplement that really seemed to help the inflammation. I hope that I will be able to get some sleep tonight without "snap, crackle and pop".

Thanks for all the feedback...I'm feeling a little more hopeful :)

• Like Like x 3
    6. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Don`t be afraid to do 10 days of cortisone ... it has improved my Tinnitus even after 6 years ... Let your partener or friend massage your neck after you put on one of those heated cherry pillows and stuff ... time to relax :))

7. Codaz

Codaz Member

Since you live in Belgium, what is the gel called?

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Avabelle

Avabelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Early 2015
      Cortisone shots or pills? My T and neck pain has flared up again :(
      The only things that help are heat/ice packs and magnesium pills.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Avabelle

Avabelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Early 2015
      Where can I buy anti-inflammatory gel? Is there a name for it? I it cortisone based?

I think I have TMJ as well :(

10. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      They are pills but you need prescription... go see a good ENT and tell them to check your TMJ and sinusses ... best even to ask over the phone if they are accustomed with this issue. SHe was the first of many ENT`s that actually looked in my sinuses with a camera ... cream is called VOLTAREN gel

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Avabelle

Avabelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Early 2015
      Thanks - I really appreciate it :) I hope you are feeling better :thankyousign:

12. Codaz

Codaz Member

Strange, as Voltaren (diclofenac) is mentioned on various sites as giving hearing problems / tinnitus.

13. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Damn.. I have been having issues with joint pain,was given Klofen....which is diclofenac , did not know that was ototoxic or bad for hearing.

14. RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Regarding heat I have found that if I go to the pool (hot jacuzzi) I feel a LOT better , it takes my T down at least 50%.

15. Codaz

Codaz Member

Just Google it. It is mentioned by several Tinnitus websites.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Avabelle

Avabelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Early 2015
      I've been using the Voltaren gel and it helps...hopefully it doesn't make the T worse.

17. RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Diclofenac will in fact spike my T , no doubt in my mind. Took a few days testing but without a doubt it spikes.

18. Codaz

Codaz Member

It is also mentioned on the leaflet in the box? Under side effects?

19. Michael Murray
      Conehead

Michael Murray Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Just noticed my tinnitus is loud and I can't hear crap right now. I just restarted taking diclofenac. Iw ill see if this is every day, but it seemed to double the intensity today. There may be other factors, but I am not sure how much I can tolerate this level.

Thankfully, the VA recently granted my tinnitus claim and I have a disability rating for it. I finally get an exam this week ! I didn't know how bad it was years ago until I got to try hearing aids with a therapy program in it. After wearing them a few days on trial, I did NOT want to give them up! But, I didn't have several thousand lying around to buy them. most insurance sucks for this. however, my son just got hearing aids with some rebate agreement through amplifon and my insurance company. I had to pay up front, but eventually got reimbursed with a year supply of batteries. This is great, but why doesn't insurance just pay it?

• Like Like x 1
    20. Codaz

Codaz Member

Maybe it's kinda strange to ask this but does a disability rating for tinnitus help you in your daily worklife? I'm not working yet (student) so I might opt if T stays / worsens / whatever. I'm just in the process of coping with it. But as my graduation approaches (very delayed) I would like to know how this might work.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    21. Stephen1144

Stephen1144 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      gun noise
      I have noticed that a hot bath, reduces it around 50% or more. Of course in a short time afterwards it comes roaring back. Problem is I can't stay in a bath tub 24 hours a day.

22. Codaz

Codaz Member

Voltaren has tinnitus as side effect in the prescription letter in the box. So how could that work?

23. Codaz

Codaz Member

How much % is that disability rating if I may ask?