Hello All. Recently Diagnosed with Tinnitus.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Keith D Mitchell, Oct 30, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. Keith D Mitchell
      Worried

Keith D Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea
      Hello Everyone, Keith D. Mitchell here. Unfortunately it seems that I have been diagnosed with Tinnitus, which happened suddenly for no reason. About 6 days ago, right before I went to start recording my weekly podcast, I experienced a loud ringing sensation that lasted for about 2 hours. Ever since then I've experienced both light ringing and clicking in my right ear.

I made an appointment with the ENT, who checked my hearing and informed me that it was perfect. Prior to that I did a self evaluation and realized that I can still hear up to 17461 Hz, even though I'm 39 years old. However after looking at my ears, cleaning the impacted wax out of my right ear and speaking with me I was told that I did indeed have Tinnitus, which I already feared I had. I completely broke down. I like being able to enjoy quiet, but at the same time I love listening to music and more than anything I'm really anal. The single smallest thing can bother me and with this latest development, well it's been taking a toll on me. I lost my appetite, it's hard to sleep unless I take sleeping pills (or listen to my wife's heart) and every day has been touch and go. And what makes it worse is now that I know I have it, I listen for it. I know I shouldn't but I can't stop.

It wouldn't bother me as much if I had a reason as to why this happened, but for it to just happen despite not being sick or listening to extremely loud music or sounds, well that just bothers me to no extent. Thankfully I have a loving wife, who I know is getting tired of me talking about this but is still taking this better than I am.

So far I've been taking lipofalavonoid that was giving to me by the ENT, says 40% of her patients stated it helped some, increased vitamin b12 and calcium. I've looked lipofalavonoid up and it seems to be hit/miss here, so I really don't think it's going to help. I recently heard that there are hearing aids with sound therapies that can help as well but my insurance will most likely not cover them and they're super expensive.

What has people here done to reduce the stress that this creates? I know it won't happen over night or even in the next month, but I need something here.

Not only am an IT professional, I do coding, admin and run a Geek Culture website, do podcasts and stream on Youtube/Twitch. Now I'm wondering if doing this is going to be affected and if I should just stop altogether, especially since I go to events like Comic Con, PAX and was playing on going to E3 next year. But those events a super loud, I really don't want that to impact my health.

And more than anything, I'm scared. Is this temporary, permanent, will it get softer or louder? Is my basically life as I've known it over?

2. Pilot
      Mellow

Pilot Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sorry to hear you are experiencing T. I could write for an hour about your T but I'll keep it brief and to the point.

ENTs are usually worthless when it comes to T, the diagnosis doesn't mean anything. An audiologist can provide a lot more data about your hearing, but no one can tell you what your T will do in the future. The fact that yours has improved in 6 days and your hearing is good is very encouraging, it might go away on its own.

Everything you are feeling: stress, worrying about the future, trouble sleeping, etc. is normal at first onset, time is your best friend and tinnitus can't stop time. You will be able to do everything you talked about, even the loud conventions. Don't quit anything or change what you are doing, but do wear wear hearing protection if you are in a dangerous noise environment, even non-T people should too.

A noise masker might help sleep at night, I got one from brookstone that plays several different sounds, I no longer use it, but it's also a Bluetooth speaker. Sleep is very important. I wouldn't spend money on much else, and try to stay away from meds, if you can. Let your brain do the work, it will naturally filter and demote the T over time. The T might be the same but your brain won't pay attention to it ( habituation), just like how you don't pay attention to how your pants feel on your legs, well now you notice because I just mentioned it.

Read the success stories on this site. I wouldn't say I'm a success yet, but in 10 months I went from anxiety, depression, and sleep difficulties to my T improving 80% today, I have resumed everything I used to do (I actually never stopped) which includes being in proximity to loud noise. Like you, I'm detail oriented, little things bother me, and I also like music and computers. I also fly jets, mow my lawn, and run power tools on occasion. I had the bonus of having my T increase when exposed to moderate or loud noise, this was far worse than just T. This sensitivity was 90% improved after 3 months, and I would say 95% improved today. Four weeks ago I was at the steelers-Ravens game in Pittsburgh and didn't put my ear plugs in, I had a slight increase in T but was fine an hour after the game. Somehow my brain has re-learned how to handle external sound.

Hope this helps.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. Keith D Mitchell
      Worried

Keith D Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea
      Thanks for reaching out to me, I appreciate it. I've read the success stories and even your outcome seems incouraging, I just hope that it plays out the same way for me. Right now I"m checking to see if there are any support groups in my area, it helps when you can relate and speak with people who are in the same boat as you are. If my T would drop even 50%, then I'd be golden, as even before this incident I could still hear a slight ringing from time to time but nothing like this.

I just need to learn to not focus on the T and my outlook would be better. At the very least, its encouraging that I went to sleep last night without any sleeping meds or my wife pillow and got up several times, only to go back to sleep.

I do have a question and I was so out of it, I didn't mention it to the ENT, so I plan on seeing another. I can make my jaw on my right hand side, the same with the ear that feels full and with the T, pop. I can do it at whim as well, I don't think that's TMJ but it doens't hurt to have it evaluated or am I just chasing after nonsense?

Right now i'm coding in my office, listening to my kids fight and the birds chriping and that blasted cricket... but it sounds better than that T.

• Hug Hug x 2
    4. Pilot
      Mellow

Pilot Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      A dentist could evaluate you for TMJ, it might be worth a shot. I don't know enough about it to say. There have been a bunch of discussions on this site about it.

One test I do know of for checking the TMJ is to put your pinkies in each ear, then fully open and close your jaw. Your pinkies will be able to feel the jaw opening and closing and it should feel the same on both sides. You can push the front side of the ear canal to feel the jaw movement even more. If they fell different or you can't feel one side then the jaw isn't moving symmetrically.

5. Dutchy
      Not worthy

Dutchy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neuronmodulation suggests noise induced?
      You should definitely try to rule out any TMJ effects like jaw issues or anything of that nature.
      The problem is not how it started,some people have no indication of what could be the cause,
      me on the other hand it could be noise induced,medication,or my long issues of anxiety attacks
      that are related to my sort-of PTSD like trauma.In both diagnostics it's not sure which is the cause.

TMJ however is much more story-telling than all of the causes that could be linked to mine.

6. DebInAustralia

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      30/12/13
      Ive thrown a lot of things at tinnitus since my onset nearly two years ago.

what works for me:

. lots of sleep
      . distraction
      . exercise
      . notched white noise
      . cbt/mindfulness (have a look at back to silence threads)