Hello All. Recently Diagnosed with Tinnitus.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Keith D Mitchell, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Keith D Mitchell
      Alone

Keith D Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea
      Hello Everyone, Keith D. Mitchell here. Unfortunately it seems that I have been diagnosed with Tinnitus, which happened suddenly for no reason. About 6 days ago, right before I went to start recording my weekly podcast, I experienced a loud ringing sensation that lasted for about 2 hours. Ever since then I've experienced both light ringing and clicking in my right ear.

I made an appointment with the ENT, who checked my hearing and informed me that it was perfect. Prior to that I did a self evaluation and realized that I can still hear up to 17461 Hz, even though I'm 39 years old. However after looking at my ears, cleaning the impacted wax out of my right ear and speaking with me I was told that I did indeed have Tinnitus, which I already feared I had. I completely broke down. I like being able to enjoy quiet, but at the same time I love listening to music and more than anything I'm really anal. The single smallest thing can bother me and with this latest development, well it's been taking a toll on me. I lost my appetite, it's hard to sleep unless I take sleeping pills (or listen to my wife's heart) and every day has been touch and go. And what makes it worse is now that I know I have it, I listen for it. I know I shouldn't but I can't stop.

It wouldn't bother me as much if I had a reason as to why this happened, but for it to just happen despite not being sick or listening to extremely loud music or sounds, well that just bothers me to no extent. Thankfully I have a loving wife, who I know is getting tired of me talking about this but is still taking this better than I am.

So far I've been taking lipofalavonoid that was giving to me by the ENT, says 40% of her patients stated it helped some, increased vitamin b12 and calcium. I've looked lipofalavonoid up and it seems to be hit/miss here, so I really don't think it's going to help. I recently heard that there are hearing aids with sound therapies that can help as well but my insurance will most likely not cover them and they're super expensive.

What has people here done to reduce the stress that this creates? I know it won't happen over night or even in the next month, but I need something here.

Not only am an IT professional, I do coding, admin and run a Geek Culture website, do podcasts and stream on Youtube/Twitch. Now I'm wondering if doing this is going to be affected and if I should just stop altogether, especially since I go to events like Comic Con, PAX and was playing on going to E3 next year. But those events a super loud, I really don't want that to impact my health.

And more than anything, I'm scared. Is this temporary, permanent, will it get softer or louder? Is my basically life as I've known it over?

2. Pilot
      Mellow

Pilot Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sorry to hear you are experiencing T. I could write for an hour about your T but I'll keep it brief and to the point.

ENTs are usually worthless when it comes to T, the diagnosis doesn't mean anything. An audiologist can provide a lot more data about your hearing, but no one can tell you what your T will do in the future. The fact that yours has improved in 6 days and your hearing is good is very encouraging, it might go away on its own.

Everything you are feeling: stress, worrying about the future, trouble sleeping, etc. is normal at first onset, time is your best friend and tinnitus can't stop time. You will be able to do everything you talked about, even the loud conventions. Don't quit anything or change what you are doing, but do wear wear hearing protection if you are in a dangerous noise environment, even non-T people should too.

A noise masker might help sleep at night, I got one from brookstone that plays several different sounds, I no longer use it, but it's also a Bluetooth speaker. Sleep is very important. I wouldn't spend money on much else, and try to stay away from meds, if you can. Let your brain do the work, it will naturally filter and demote the T over time. The T might be the same but your brain won't pay attention to it ( habituation), just like how you don't pay attention to how your pants feel on your legs, well now you notice because I just mentioned it.

Read the success stories on this site. I wouldn't say I'm a success yet, but in 10 months I went from anxiety, depression, and sleep difficulties to my T improving 80% today, I have resumed everything I used to do (I actually never stopped) which includes being in proximity to loud noise. Like you, I'm detail oriented, little things bother me, and I also like music and computers. I also fly jets, mow my lawn, and run power tools on occasion. I had the bonus of having my T increase when exposed to moderate or loud noise, this was far worse than just T. This sensitivity was 90% improved after 3 months, and I would say 95% improved today. Four weeks ago I was at the steelers-Ravens game in Pittsburgh and didn't put my ear plugs in, I had a slight increase in T but was fine an hour after the game. Somehow my brain has re-learned how to handle external sound.

Hope this helps.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Keith D Mitchell
      Alone

Keith D Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea
      Thanks for reaching out to me, I appreciate it. I've read the success stories and even your outcome seems incouraging, I just hope that it plays out the same way for me. Right now I"m checking to see if there are any support groups in my area, it helps when you can relate and speak with people who are in the same boat as you are. If my T would drop even 50%, then I'd be golden, as even before this incident I could still hear a slight ringing from time to time but nothing like this.

I just need to learn to not focus on the T and my outlook would be better. At the very least, its encouraging that I went to sleep last night without any sleeping meds or my wife pillow and got up several times, only to go back to sleep.

I do have a question and I was so out of it, I didn't mention it to the ENT, so I plan on seeing another. I can make my jaw on my right hand side, the same with the ear that feels full and with the T, pop. I can do it at whim as well, I don't think that's TMJ but it doens't hurt to have it evaluated or am I just chasing after nonsense?

Right now i'm coding in my office, listening to my kids fight and the birds chriping and that blasted cricket... but it sounds better than that T.

• Hug Hug x 2
    4. Pilot
      Mellow

Pilot Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      A dentist could evaluate you for TMJ, it might be worth a shot. I don't know enough about it to say. There have been a bunch of discussions on this site about it.

One test I do know of for checking the TMJ is to put your pinkies in each ear, then fully open and close your jaw. Your pinkies will be able to feel the jaw opening and closing and it should feel the same on both sides. You can push the front side of the ear canal to feel the jaw movement even more. If they fell different or you can't feel one side then the jaw isn't moving symmetrically.

5. Dutchy
      Not worthy

Dutchy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neuronmodulation suggests noise induced?
      You should definitely try to rule out any TMJ effects like jaw issues or anything of that nature.
      The problem is not how it started,some people have no indication of what could be the cause,
      me on the other hand it could be noise induced,medication,or my long issues of anxiety attacks
      that are related to my sort-of PTSD like trauma.In both diagnostics it's not sure which is the cause.

TMJ however is much more story-telling than all of the causes that could be linked to mine.

6. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Ive thrown a lot of things at tinnitus since my onset nearly two years ago.

what works for me:

. lots of sleep
      . distraction
      . exercise
      . notched white noise
      . cbt/mindfulness (have a look at back to silence threads)

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Keith D Mitchell
      Alone

Keith D Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea
      So I've excepted that the Tinnitus that I have is more than likely temporary and I'm sure i've driven my wife to the point where I have to stop talking about this so much. So my next step now is to figure out how I will go on coping with this, if not for me but for my family.

That said, how/where do I start? I'm already thinking about speaking with another ENT, but I figured at this point there's not reason. Is there someplace I can go? Do I need to contact my medical insurance company and go from there? I really want to start as I can't stop listening for my T and the holidays are coming up and the last thing I want to do is be a burden on my family.

Please help, I don't know where I need to start, despite reading the links available here.

8. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Hey Keith. I feel your pain. Being that your T is quite new you still have a chance it is temporary and will go away. It just might take some time. When something is new like Tinnitus, your brain is constantly focused on it and unfortunately, there is really nothing you can do about it. Your brain perceives your T as a threat, so it focuses on it.- It's on high alert. As time goes by it gets less and less important and you think about it less. This is what happens when you habituate. Your mind, your body starts to lose interest and not thing about it so much. Right now however, you are probably thinking about it 24/7. That will change. You can't do much to force habituation, it just happens. Keep reading the forums, post questions and you will find great support here.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
    10. meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      Hello @Keith D Mitchell.

Habituation is a long process for most people. We humans don't like changes we don't have control over. That's just how we are wired. If you had tinnitus since you were born I bet you would never even give it a thought. Just like you don't think about your nose all the time. (You can see your nose all the time, but you never think of it. Do you? :) )

Here is a list that explains my habituation step by step.

1. Realize that you have a problem
      2. Realize that your tinnitus most likely will stay. (This one is huge for habituation. I bet that's why so many here go to ENT after ENT. They just can't realize that this 'shit' aint going anywhere. So they continue to go to the doctors for a cure that don't exist. (I did that in the beginning too.)) If you can't accept this truth you will never habituate.
      3. Accept that you are suffering, and be okay with that. It's okay to not always be well. Take your time.
      4. Stop wishful thinking like 'what if' scenarios. Won't get you anywhere. It is what it is.
      When you have this three steps in check. Do this:

1. Try to accept the presence of your tinnitus as it is in the present. Try to live with it. Ask yourself questions. Is it really sooo bad, or is it just an automatic reaction coming from your subconsciousness? Can you have no reaction to tinnitus for just 10 seconds? Try it. Later you try 15 seconds.
      2. Try to catch yourself every time you have negative thoughts and turn them around to questions. Avoid negative thought-loops. Make up another person inside you that hovers over your negative thoughts constant attacking.
      3. Alternative view on thoughts: You are not your thoughts and feelings any more then you are the photons hitting your eyes, you are the observer behind the show, so, why bother to take the thoughts and feelings any more serious then the photons? This is kind of hard to explain, but read up on mindfulness. It's alternative, but it's all we got right now and it helps. So, why not?
      4. As I said earlier, it's okey to suffer. Use the time it takes.
      5. Habituation will come slowly.
      Bonus tip: Listen to Alan Watts. (I have to be honest, I don't understand half the stuff his talking about, but just the way he is talking is healing itself. He has an incredible calmness.)

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    11. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      ^ Brilliant. Like this.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Keith D Mitchell
      Alone

Keith D Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea
      Thanks for the reply, however this bit confuses me. I was under the impression that once you got it, well it's a done deal and that it;s just learning to accept it. Are there proven cases where T has come and gone on it's own, well other than from drug use or trauma causing issues that is?

What I find out is that my T now seems to be getting softer/louder on it's own and at times I swear its just not around. Usually after listening to some music or doing stuff I enjoy, I guess doing that time I'm just blocking it out.

13. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      The path to habituation? Yes, I know the way.

Take a right at the next traffic signal, go 10,000 miles until you come to a stop sign. Then wait 10 years, until there's a cure. };-)

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Keith D Mitchell
      Alone

Keith D Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea
      :(

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Keith D Mitchell
      Alone

Keith D Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea
      I know, I know, another question ;) But seriously, since I was diagnosed with Tinnitus, I have had periods, however short, where the ringing in my ear (only my right) was gone. Afterwards I tried my hardest to hear it again but didn't. Yes, it came back but it was just odd as I didn't expect it to just stop on it's own and it's only been a week so my brain is still processing the sound and sending me into an emotional frenzy.

In the back of my mind I'm trying to take this as a good thing but I don't know, I'm no doctor. Right now it's going off like an alarm as I have a major headache.

Thoughts?

16. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Mine would come and go throughout the day and night sporadically. Anything is possible with T from the stories I've read. I think if it's coming and going that's a good sign too.

17. John Duck

John Duck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2011
      Keith - two of the responses that I've read on this post are REALLY good...
      I'll just add a couple of points to them...
      1.Other than having hearing protection ( musician's ear plugs in my case), for things like concerts that you may go to or operating electric lawn mowers etc...LIVE YOUR LIFE EXACTLY THE SAME AS BEFORE YOU HAD T.
      That would be the quickest way to habituation.
      T. does not deserve to dictate the way you live your life.
      If say , you don't have a cup of coffee or a glass of wine because you are afraid your T. may spike ...T. wins...
      Everyone is different. I know coffee makes my T. spike ( not that I could care less about that ) , but hey, in Canada it's cold up here !
      2. Sleep... If you are not getting a proper night's sleep because of your T. , try all the things the books say " avoid night coffees' , warm bath etc.." but if that doesn't work , you may want to seek professional help. I had to. I was on a prescription drug for sleep for 3 years... It helped and I noticed no side effects and tapered off it slowly....
      3. Trust the people on this site when they say that you can get your life back. You can. It does take time.Take my word on it, I know exactly how you feel.
      If you have any further questions , leave them on this post and I'll look at it tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    18. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      The Back To Silence method lets you sidestep the tinnitus and go directly to the problem that plagues you, which is your reaction to it. In a short time you'll not hear the tinnitus unless you "Listen" for it. This works.
      It's a way to actually force habituation.
      There's a mighty long string of posts on this thread. But basically this is what you do....
      STOP describing tinnitus sounds to yourself.
      When T is intrusive, you simply acknowledge the T and state how you feel.
      Like this: "I hear it, I'm calm." or "I hear it, I'm anxious."
      Over time you'll notice that your responses will become fewer and that can only mean one thing - You're hearing it less. I don't know HOW it works but it works. Many people here are now doing it and having success. Personally, it's been my cure. After 40 years of tinnitus, this is the best thing I've found. Even though my tinnitus is loud and constant, I'm only responding once every few days. The method made my responses drop drastically in the first couple months and is still working for me after 13 months. It doesn't require a doctor, money, or even time. It's easy but at the same time, requires dedication.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/back-to-silence.7172/

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Keith D Mitchell
      Alone

Keith D Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea
      A recap, I've started experiencing bouts with T about 2 weeks ago, however as of the last 4 nights or so, I've been able to sleep normally. However yesterday I was T free for about 20-30 minutes, and as so this morning it was ring free for at least an hour, though I did experience it through the night. I'm hearing it now but it's more of light clicks and beeps, but I'm at working with a ton of computers around, so it's being masked. But if i put my fingers in my ears, it's definitely not as loud as it was last night.

I've been experiencing ringing in my right ear only, with fulliness (liquid sensation and popping) and I actually have a few short lived fevers.

I spoke to two ENT's over the phone yesterday, regarding a drug study and treatment, but they both denied me as they stated that what I have may eventually work it's self out, since I don't have any hearing loss and that it came on suddenly. Both felt it may be an infection, to which I'm going to see my GP tomorrow, hopefully he'll provide something to help if it is an effect. Some to think of it, I was at the 2015 New York Comic Con during the middle of October and my T came nearly at the end of Oct, possible that I picked up something nasty there?

It may be nothing, but it was nice not hearing that noise in my right ear, however how short it was.

20. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Keith,
      It's really early for you having tinnitus and for the first 6 months it can go as fast as it came.
      Hope you go on ok at the doctors and best get checked out to rule out a ear infection or wax build up....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Keith D Mitchell
      Alone

Keith D Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea
      Hello Again my fellew people,

So I went to see my GP last Thursday and he prescribed me some Amoxcillian, as he stated I had a mild ear infection. So I've been taking 875 mg of it 2x a day, in addition to calicum, b-12 and lipofalavonoid. He stated that the ringing may be an effect of the infection and hopefully the ringing will stop / get better as I continue taking the antibiotics.

So far I've been sleeping with no need for meds, which is great.

Since I've had my initial episode, the ringing has gone from a loud pitch, to a slight lower pitch, a hum, and finally ticking. My right ear cracks when I swallow as well. Sadly, either I'm going crazy or it seems / sounds like my Left Ear is now being affected, T doesn't simply spread like that, does it?

The GP suggested it was a ear infection as I mentioned that this came on suddenly and I explained the feeling of fullnes , liquid in my ear sensation, ringing, and the fevers. So I'll just keep taking the meds and hoping. However my issue is if the GP saw signs of an ear infection, why didn't the ENT when I went to see them? I explained the same thing to them, shouldn't the outcome have been the same.

I actually have another appointment with ENT this week as well, hoping they see the same thing. Is it normal for ear infections to be diagnosed as T and vice versa? Anyone experience the infection and end up with no T / better T or did the symptoms persist?

Curious.

22. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Keith,
      Ear infections can cause tinnitus so the infection might be in both ears.
      You are on strong antibiotics that are for ear infections .
      I'm on the same meds but on 500mg x3 a day for 7 days for a inner ear infection ......lots of love glynis

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Keith D Mitchell
      Alone

Keith D Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea
      That's good to know. So a follow up, how typical is it for T that was caused by such an infection to clear up or become less noticable? I'm all over the place it seems ;*(

24. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Kieth ,
      Give it a week or two after your medication has finished and see how you go on as only time will tell but should be less noticeable .
      Tinnitus can come with unwanted emotions like anxiety and low mood but try stay positive and stay calm as anxiety can make your tinnitus worse .
      Keep your ears covered with a hat in the cold weather also..lots of love glynis

25. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi @Keith D Mitchell: It's important to remember that tinnitus isn't a disease or a medical condition. It's a symptom (the way a fever is a symptom) of something else that's going on in your body. Tinnitus sometimes can be a symptom of an ear infection. If that's the case, the sooner you treat the infection with powerful antibiotics, the better. Don't know why an ENT wouldn't pick up on your infection, unless maybe it wasn't as pronounced at the time.

Anyway, take the full course of antibiotics as directed and stay on top of the infection. Hopefully, your tinnitus will resolve when the infection goes away. Tinnitus often is all over the place, especially in the beginning (seems to move from one ear to the other, louder then softer, ect). So try not to pay too much attention to all its fluctuations. It doesn't solve anything and makes it even more annoying.

26. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      For now you don't look for the way to habituation. You assume it's temporary and try as hard as possible to believe that. It's been two weeks since the onset ? Patience..If a few months later it's still there, you may assume it will stay..Meanwhile you can read the precious content of this forum. You will find the answer to at least most of your questions. That helped me in the beginning - learning about it gave me the impression I'm doing sth to help myself, knowing that no doctor will do that. Still, first thing to do if you can't detect any evident cause of your T is doing all the standard check ups.

27. eric peterson
      Sporty

eric peterson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 10/2003 Increase: 04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows? who cares?
      Yes, stay off this site as much as possible early on. Get on with your life. You're going to be fine, irrespective of what some people have put in their responses. nearly 100% of all people go on to habituate within a couple of years, and most feel much, much better in just a few months. CBT and meditation can help. TRT if you're a really tough case. These things cost money, however. And for most people, they're unnecessary. Since you're just a few weeks in, I'd hold off on anything like that. Your T could just go away on it's own. If it doesn't, then take solace in knowing that you're going to go on to habituate, and live a perfectly happy life with T. There is no magic potion for habituation. Good news is, there doesn't need to be any.

Good luck,

Eric

• Like Like x 1
    28. brotherdday

brotherdday Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/12/2015
      @eric peterson I know you said that you still mask at night. Can I ask what you use?? I am trying to grin and bear it at night (worse time) to try to get used to it rather than mask it but want some masking advice in case. I do get some sleep but also spend a lot of time awake listening to the sound and doing deep breathing to lower the anxiety. Thanks and keep on sharing your positive advice. Many especially newbies need it!

29. eric peterson
      Sporty

eric peterson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 10/2003 Increase: 04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows? who cares?
      I personally use a small runner's ear bud that I got from Amazon and play White Noise Free on my phone. The app is free and has a million sounds. I doubt I need it at this point. I often knock the ear bud out at night and wake up with it out. But my gf is a really light sleeper, so I want to keep the noise down for her. These are the ear buds I use.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002R2DCPY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

good luck,

eric

• Informative Informative x 1
    30. Phil-O

Phil-O Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Hi @eric peterson
      Can you recommend reasonably priced musician ear plugs. Thanks Phil