Hello All, Tinnitus and Hyperacusis Since January 2019

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Brenda in NJ, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Brenda in NJ

Brenda in NJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm new here. Tinnitus and Hyperacusis since early January. Just wanted to say hello and that I will be on here often, as I'm having a hard time with this and knowing I am not alone helps, although I don't like seeing so many that also suffer.

I am also on three meds that can all exacerbate my tinnitus so I have that added worry onto it. I need to get off of them but they will take a long time to wean. The tinnitus may have actually been caused by medication, but I cannot be sure, so I am paranoid now to take anything. So why I agreed to three new ones is beyond me. But I was in a bad place at the time and wanted relief (severe anxiety, depression, etc.).

It's a vicious cycle, not knowing which came first. I had anxiety, insomnia and depression, had take meds. Now have tinnitus. But was it the meds, the anxiety or something else?

Also, add into the mix dental work, anesthesia for an upper endoscopy, silent reflux (which could be causing it due to reflux getting into sinuses and ETs).

Who knows? It's so frustrating. :(

Anyone else also have a like rumbling in their ears and head? Is this also part of the tinnitus? Like a fan or helicopter.

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. Contrast

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      injury from noxious noise
      Is your hyperacusis "pain from noise" or noises sounding "too loud" they aren't exactly the same thing even if they go together.

Enjoy your stay on the forum and make sure to protect your hearing, ask with a physician if the medicine is ototoxic (ear poisoning)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Brenda in NJ

Brenda in NJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      thank you for your reply. its more of a sensitivity to the noise. but I get ear pain and I have pressure as well. I have the mother load. lol.

as far as the meds, of course you ask doctors and they say no. they have no idea.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. Contrast

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Go with your gut instinct if you think medicine is ototoxic, there are unknowns out there.

Do you have a history of loud music, loud cars, loud headphones, loud work place environment? That's usually an explanation for tinnitus and noise pain.

5. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing and now somatic T dental work
      Also sounds like a generator can point to fluid travel, but it also could be blood flow within an artery or under active thyroid. Dental could also have association, but usually salvia ducts would produce thick salvia and sinus action. Sinuses can kick start from almost any unnormal interaction. From all this that have many cross patterning - immunity problems are usually present and need care. All this can also cause ear sensitiveness, so if you are doing medication tapering, keep going slow.

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Brenda in NJ

Brenda in NJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Well I also get a pulsating in my one ear at night when I lay on it. so its funny you say that. so maybe it is a blood flow problem. that also happens to be the ear that the ringing is worse in. As far as sinus action I do get a post nasal drip and I do have sinus inflammation. this was noted on a ct scan and mri. But the nasal drip is most likely due to the silent reflux. When you say dental could have association what do you mean ? and yes I will be doing very slow medication taper. It will probably take me a year to get off the one med ive only been on for 6 weeks. :/

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Brenda in NJ

Brenda in NJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Also, if its an artery problem, would the ENT be able to determine or do I need to see a different doctor?

8. GSC
      Volatile

GSC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Do you have a history of noise exposure? Do you remember any stand out events happening in the month of January at all?

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    9. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      @Brenda in NJ - Hi Brenda and welcome aboard.

Tinnitus? Check! Anxiety and Depression? Check! Been taking a 10 mg pill for the latter for 2 years now and thankfully have been able to sleep. Do not let this nonsense control your life! Keep a busy, active lifestyle. Go for walks, read, learn, draw; generally do whatever you like...

10. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing and now somatic T dental work
      @Brenda in NJ
      Yes, It did seem that your new sounds are pulsate in nature and more so now with your mention of lying on that ear. So your new sounds if PT would not be caused by noise exposure and hearing loss. So it might be that your other tinnitus also involves physical and maybe with some hypertension input.

An ENT can do office tests by trying to hear sounds at various points in the body by stethoscope. Among other tests they would also have you move your neck to certain positions to see if the sounds stop.

I would consider to continue to work with your ENT and seeing other type of doctors may need to be discussed.

Any possible lifetime experiences that may include dental, any neck and head injuries, posture, neck muscle spasms, straightness of neck, thyroid, smoking and diet should be added to interaction flow charting.

• Like Like x 1
    11. NeoKortex88

NeoKortex88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3 month
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      severe stress
      Hi I'm in your shoes. Got chronic pain and the stress over it caused me tinnitus. Now actually the chronic pain is almost gone but the tinnitus is now here. It got better however. Like 80% I think. I also take antidepressants.

12. Cojackb
      Breezy

Cojackb Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Welcome to the community!

I also take meds for anxiety and have recently bagged myself a nice serving of tinnitus. Gut instinct tells me they're all related in some form or another and that maybe a positive change in lifestyle / mentality would work wonders for the tinnitus. Obviously this is all speculation but if we ever needed a reason to improve our lifestyle, I'd say this is it!

PS. This group is awesome, with lots of helpful and reassuring information!

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Brenda in NJ

Brenda in NJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      well concerts but that was when I was younger. In recent years ive always worn earplugs. as far as standout events. hmm. I had an upper endoscopy the day before this started, and dental work day before that. and about a month before that I had started and stopped the med Gabapentin. Which ironically I am not back on again.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Brenda in NJ

Brenda in NJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Well these medications mess with the central nervous system, so yes all related. it sucks because now I cant go to sleep without the medication, but at the same time I feel they are also making it worse. such a catch 22.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Brenda in NJ

Brenda in NJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      i am seeing a new ENT today, as a matter of fact. this is hard. so much could be a cause. its a very hard thing to live with. sorry to be a pity me . im new at it so im still not adjusting well to this. most days it brings me down and there isn't a day that goes by i don't think about it.

16. Contrast

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I hate to be the one with bad news but tinnitus combined with noise induced pain issues are almost always linked to loud noise damaging hearing.

New comers are always in denial of this but it turns out to be true almost always. Hopefully you see a doctor that is familar with research on this and you get addressed correctly, please protect your hearing regardless of what you believe caused this.

17. Clint Azzopardi
      Woot

Clint Azzopardi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure, Gentamicin or allaergy or both !
      Hi @Brenda in NJ. Welcome to the form, just like yourself I recently started suffering from tinnitus last October. Early days aren't nice but I promise it will start to get better (I didn't believe how this could happen in my early days when I used to read so). I'm still struggling a bit but who knows maybe I'll get even better.

Just read that you are on some medication. There is a very good website rxlist.com to confirm side effects of medications.

You mentioned dental work in your post, do you feel that dental work made your tinnitus worse? I need to do some dental work soon and I'm very concerned to say the least!

Clint

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Brenda in NJ

Brenda in NJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Clint. I cant say for sure. I had so many factors that could have done it. I had two root canals, once of which I had worked on two days prior to coming down with the T. and also an upper endoscopy one day before. I do fear the dentist now and I am sure to tell them of my T. Last time I went, she used a special, more quite drill.