Hello Everyone, Tinnitus Worsening After Nearly a Year

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jen D, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Jen D

Jen D Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi everyone :),

I am glad I found this site, its full of some great information and reading the success stories gives me hope. So my story is, that last April I suddenly developed permanent tinnitus albeit a mild case and generally it wasn't until night time that I really noticed it (we have the radio on at work and it seemed to help), but after nearly a year now it has gradually gotten worse, the radio no longer drowns it out. My hearing is affected too. I am in the process of studying for some exams at work and I am really struggling to focus and also panicking about the actual exam - three hours of complete silence!!!

I have tried to pinpoint what may have caused it and the only two things that were relevant around that time, were that I went on a massive health kick, stopped smoking, clean eating (as much as I can), exercise etc - I still have this lifestyle and cant understand why my tinnitus is getting worse as everywhere I read, it tells me adopting a healthy lifestyle should improve tinnitus. This makes me think its a vitamin deficiency but the more I read about it the more confused I get!??!

The second thing is I took Champix (the stopping smoking medication)around this time, not for long and the tinnitus continued after I stopped the tablets.

I have seen a doctor, he checked my ears, said they were fine, said it wouldn't have been the Champix, looked at me like I had two heads when I asked about a vitamin deficiency and basically told me I had to live with it!!

Anyway, that's my story, I look forward to speaking to some of you and having you all for some support. It'll be nice to speak to people who understand :)

JD

2. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      @Jen D . Hi welcome to the forum. You have certainly found the right forum for advice. There's more information on this forum then your doctor can give you. And yes my doctor also told me live with it . Shows you how little they know about tinnitus and its affect on your wellbeing.

3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the fourm, @Jen D. Your recent spike of T may be related to the anxiety or high stress level facing the exams. Usually these are bad for T and can aggravate it. However, it is likely that when the stress of the exam is over, and you go back to a normal and relax life style, T may settle back to your former baseline. Anyhow, staying calm and positive will definitely make it easier for T to settle down. You may want to take some supplements for protecting the ears which are often recommended here by members, such as NAC, Magnesium, Zinc, B12, D3, etc., and reduce intake of salt, sugar, MSG, caffeine, alcohol etc.

For the anxiety, you can consider natural alternatives such as Catnip, Valerian, Hops, Passion Flower, Lemon Balm, Chamomile, Lavender, Kava, Melatonin etc. You can google search each of them to know their use and see if you can take them as a supplement. Check out this site on using natural herbs for calming or for sleep problem. Take care & God bless.

http://www.christopherhobbs.com/lib...alth/herbs-and-natural-remedies-for-insomnia/

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jen D

Jen D Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for the welcome folks. :)

I had thought that the stress of exams were making it worse. I already eat a really healthy diet so my intake of salt, sugar, is low, I stopped smoking also and have been trying to avoid a drink for the past wee while too. (not so easy ;)) I already take vitamin B12 and have recently added Ginko, my next one is vitamin D3. Just trying to add one in every month or so, so I know if it makes a difference - so far nether of them have!

I'm so determined not to let this get to me! my normally sunny disposition is a little clouded at the moment though.

Thanks for the advice

Jen

5. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Bobbie7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress, sinus infection
      @billie48 I have been reading your posts and have learned much. The kindness, understanding and compassion you display to the members of this group is appreciated and admirable. It's apparent that you devote much of your time responding to questions and offering comfort to those in need. T is such a difficult malady with which to deal on a daily basis and I wish those who know of our situation (including physicians) would lend themselves to understand the torment we experience. You suffer as we all do and your wisdom has helped me and I am sure all others who read your posts. Just a quick note at this time to say "thank you".

Best wishes,
      Barbara

6. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Thank you for the kind words, Barbara. I am humbled by your compliment. Just trying to help where I can knowing how hard it is to go through the initial 'hell' of T suffering. The collective wisdom of the caring members here will help anyone who has an open mind to learn new insights and adopt successful strategies from all those who have contributed. I am merely one of those members who try to help with whatever I know or have experienced. Hope you keep on improving and be well soon. God bless.

Billie

7. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      You maybe hear it over the TV? Mine is way louder than a loud TV! Be grateful you have mild tinnitus and move on with your life. And no, Mirtazapine won't make your tinnitus louder. Your mind might trick you into believing it does though!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1