Hello Fellow Sufferers

Discussion in 'Support' started by frankm85, Oct 13, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. frankm85

frankm85 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      I have had tinnitus for four years. It almost ruined my life and killed me. I am not a big talker. But i just wanted to share this story from a movie for everyone out there. i feel like we can all relate to this. anyways here it is and i hope we can all get some peace from this story.

You know that story of the Russian cosmonaut? So, the cosmonaut, He's the first man ever to go into space. Right? The Russians beat the Americans. So he goes up in this big spaceship, but the only habitable part of it's very small. So the cosmonaut's in there, and he's got this portal window, and he's looking out of it, and he sees the curvature of the Earth for the first time. I mean, the first man to ever look at the planet he's from. And he's lost in that moment. And all of a sudden this strange ticking... Begins coming out of the dashboard. Rips out the control panel, right? Takes out his tools. Trying to find the sound, trying to stop the sound. But he can't find it. He can't stop it. It keeps going. Few hours into this, begins to feel like torture. A few days go by with this sound, and he knows that this small sound... will break him. He'll lose his mind. What's he gonna do? He's up in space, alone, in a space closet. He's got 25 days left to go... with this sound. So the cosmonaut decides... the only way to save his sanity... is to fall in love with this sound. So he closes his eyes... and he goes into his imagination, and then he opens them. He doesn't hear ticking anymore. He hears music. And he spends the sailing through space in total bliss... and peace.

• Like Like x 2
      • Genius Genius x 1
    2. Steve Hubert

Steve Hubert Member

Tinnitus Since:
      So I have to go to space for relief?

• Useful Useful x 1
    3. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possibly noise
      Nice story, thanks :)
      What was the film this was in?

A couple of remarks, though: (1) the sound was outside of his own head, and (2) he knew it'd be gone when he returned to Earth.
      Some actual people on this board have even more heroic stories to tell in their battle with tinnitus (y)

4. randomuser

randomuser Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      If someone tells me that I will have this sound for x time (months, even years) and then will go away, I would be more than happy, and kind of habituate immediately. The problem with this is not the sound itself, but the perspective of having it (maybe) forever. I handle headaches because they last only hours or a day at most, and even a depression is temporary, but T sucks.

• Agree Agree x 3
    5. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      I think if docs told us there is a good chance it will go at some point, whether true or not we would not immediately see it as a threat, thus putting us on red alert. And making it unbearable. The thought of it going would help us through the time, as it is we a doomed the minute they say tough, go live with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. randomuser

randomuser Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      There is also the uncontrollable lymbic system that is annoying us "in the background". It's a shame.

Anyway, this has been a really sad week for me with the autifony affair, the relapse of dannyboy (and the confirmation that trobalt is not an option, only a risky and temporary relief for some) and the certainty that we have only two realistic options: habituate or suffer. For me, for now, it's the second option, hopefully will have good news at some point.

Quoting IWLM, my problem is my reaction to the sound. Is awful, is annoying, scares me, but is just a noise, the same kind of noise that music is made of. And music is pleasant, why can't be T a simple background noise with no emotional significante? Will I ever habituate?

Sorry for the rant.

• Like Like x 1
    7. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Hey, thanks for the mention.
      I noticed you said, "Annoying, scares me."
      I guess what you mean is T is annoying and scary. But what are YOU?
      If you are annoyed and scared, and are telling yourself this, then you're doing the BTS method.
      Tinnitus cannot be annoying and scary. Tinnitus is a sound that only you hear. Nothing more.
      Your emotional response is the problem, right? Address the response, don't battle it, just address it over and over.
      There's nothing more to the method.

8. randomuser

randomuser Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      I know that. It's the emotional response to the sound and also to the negative toughts associated (it's forever, it can only get worse, it will never stop, it will ruin my life, I will never be a normal person and similar). But is f* difficult to break this vicious circle. And if your personal circumstances are not the optimal, things can only get worse. This is me now. In fact, if the T ends now, I still have a lot of things to struggle with, this is only the tip of the iceberg, damnit. And when you are alone in bed, in your almost silent room, these thoughts win the battle and are all over my head and I can't do anything to battle them, anxiety rises and, bingo! stress induced spikes.

And I know that because not so long ago I was able to even have small genuine moments of pure joy despite t, I really want to go back to then. In the near future? Who knows.

Btw I admire you, you're a real hero for most people here.

9. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      With this method you don't have to battle your emotions, just state them. You nailed it on the head - it's hard to break the circle. Success comes when your responses become fewer.
      Think of all the power and rocket fuel it takes for a spacecraft to get off the ground, then once it gets going it's easy sailing.