Hello Friends, Please Advise Me, Obsessions with Noise and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Fernando81, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Fernando81
      Alone

Fernando81 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anxiety - stress
      I am an obsessive person since always and very anxious too, I have GAD.

I constantly while sitting in my car, block my ears to see how my T are, level, tone and look for any change. That behaviour is harmful, because feeds our obsessiveness and anxiety.

At home, I am constantly looking for new noises, if out of the blue I hear a noise similar to the T I have or a repetitive sound, even if it comes from the dishwasher, freezer, tv or whatever... I feel very anxious. Sometimes I imagine noises or my T, that I am actually hearing them.

My obsessions now are very related with noises, especially the repetitive ones. It is some form of OCD I believe.

When I feel anxious or stressed, it is like if I could hear a very low noise in my mind, and it plays over and over again. It is an obsessive thought, but manifested as this repetitive sound. At the beginning, I had terrible days. I had the impression that I was going to end completely psychotic.

Anyone has gone through this?

• Agree Agree x 2
    2. Jaybeee
      Wishful

Jaybeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety?
      I go through this every day but this is all new to me and I'm struggling to come to terms and very frightened. I obsess about things, and T and obsession don't work well together. Have you been like this since 2013?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fernando81
      Alone

Fernando81 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anxiety - stress
      Hello Jaybeee, yes i have. I have good and bad days. I am taking fluoxetine and doing therapy, it has helped. But i am still working to feel better. The worst things i experience, are obsessions and anxiety. Sometimes i feel so scared and get angry with myself, because i keep on reacting to my old fears and doing compulsive behaviours.
      Today is a tough one.
      How are you doing jaybeee?

4. Kibakiru
      Creative

Kibakiru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 28 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown | PT: Unknown
      You sound a lot like me (and many others)! Every sound is my tinnitus to me. I sleep downstairs where I can hear the electricity, the buzz from the fridge, and the sky-box noise, and I'm convinced it's my tinnitus.
      It definitely is obsessiveness. We're often paranoid about the sound in our ear/head so we look out for anything that sounds similar to it, usually out of fear that it's gotten louder or something along those lines. At least that's how it is for me.

I also often imagine noises or I can hear a noise once and it'll 'replay' in my head constantly, but eventually go away when I stop thinking about it. The brain is an interesting and complex thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fernando81
      Alone

Fernando81 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anxiety - stress
      Kibakiru, i am sorry to hear that you are going through this. Sometimes, noises that i hear once ( a car alarm for example ) gets stucked in my head, and plays over and over again for hours and then, it fades away. I try to stay calm most of the times, but sometimes i feel scared, anxious and worried.
      God bless you kibakiru!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      Jaybeee
      There are some people here how have had T for a long time, and I feel really bad for these people. It takes tremendous courage to deal with Tinnitus on a long term basis. T can be caused by a lot a reasons like noise exposure, medication, injury, illness...ect.
      But, the vast majority of T cases resolve themselves over time.(usually 6-12 months, but sometimes a little longer)
      I know you are thinking you will have to live with this forever, but you wont. You will most likely start to see improvement within a couple months and it will continue to fade. I can almost guarantee you will have your silence back.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    7. Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      This is perfect normal, especially with anxiety. You may notice your T increasing/new noises developing; don't fear them, rather, see it as a stepping stone towards your eventual overcoming of this. There's light at the end of the tunnel but you have to go through some rough patches before you get there. Good luck and God bless!

• Winner Winner x 1
    8. RonnieCarzatto
      Cynical

RonnieCarzatto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 01 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild head injury maybe... but who knows...

@jjflyman Is this for all types of tinnitus? I'm praying I fall into this category but it's already been past two months and my T has not changed at all :(

• Like Like x 1
    9. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness

Being optimistic is great, but don't make promises, when it comes to issues like tinnitus....

I am a positive person, but tinnitus has robbed me and many others. It strikes a nerve when someone guarantees another tinnitus suffer, that it will go away and they will have complete silence again.

I hope it does happen, but in my almost 30 years, its hard to see such a thing happen... It can lessen, it's possible, but having total silence again, would be a dream for me and many others....

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had complete silence for 1 minute, while driving on Hollywood blvd in 96 and then it came back at full throttle. I was so happy to have had that 1 minute of silence, and can't wait till i don't hear this shit again :)

Bless all that fight this fight, it builds inner strength and shows character......

• Like Like x 1
    11. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      Ronnie
      The study I read said "vast majority" So I assume it covers all reasons for the onset of Tinnitus. I can speak from experience that my first noise induced T (quite severe) completely cleared in 12-18 months. My second noise induced T has been 7 months now, and is at least 80% gone. I think another 3-4 months for mine to totally fade. I know it's tough to hear, but 2 months is not long enough for Tinnitus to heal or to see any substantial progress. Keep a journal on what you T sounds/feels like at different times of the day, so you can look back at your progress. It might take another couple months before you can notice it fading. The problem with Tinnitus is it fades so slow, but the vast majority of sufferers do get 100% back to normal within 12 months or so.

• Like Like x 1
    12. RonnieCarzatto
      Cynical

RonnieCarzatto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 01 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild head injury maybe... but who knows...
      @jjflyman

I appreciate the honesty. And to be honest, I was feeling low when I wrote that (comes with the territory). I've been working more on the acceptance and dealing with my emotions for T. I'm not holding out for either a cure or for it to fade anymore, just habituation, however long it takes. If it does fade, I'll cry tears of joy. If it doesn't, I still have my hearing, life, and my wife. So it's not all that bad. Not sleeping properly sucks but what can I do.

I'm really not sure where my T stems from. It started two weeks after a very mild head injury I sustained. I have gone to many concerts in my life as well, and I was told by my dentist I'm a teeth grinder. Not sure at this point, but that's T for ya', eh?

Nonetheless, your post is extremely encouraging. I'm just working on changing my mindset at the moment. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my message too. God bless!

13. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      fishbone
      I'm so sorry that your T is still a struggle, I know from experience how much Tinnitus can affect peoples lives.
      My optimism stems from research I have done and studies I have read, plus my own struggle with noise induced Tinnitus. I only want to inform Tinnitus sufferers a "vast majority" of Tinnitus cases do clear up on their own in 12-18 months.

14. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      In my almost 30 years of dealing with this. If the tinnitus is related to an illness, then it can possibly get better, as the illness is resolved. If the tinnitus is due to tons of LOUD music and ear damage, i have not seen it just clear up by itself.

I am living this daily and have for almost 30 years. My tinnitus is super loud in both ears, but i still live my life and it is not bothering me as much.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    15. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      You said "tons of LOUD music" and "ear damage" , that is not what I was commenting on.
      long term exposure is certainly different than one overly loud concert or one exposure to loud noise. Long term exposure to loud noise will almost certainly cause permanent Tinnitus, I am saying that a short term exposure will almost always resolve itself within 18 months.

16. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Was your drop in volume a linear one or was it protracted?

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fernando81
      Alone

Fernando81 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anxiety - stress
      Hello Dear people!

Well I hear these repetitive sounds (part of melodies, sirens, particular noises, etc) in particular environments.

For example, while driving, I hear this hummm noise playing over and over. I think it is a patron as a result of the sound from the tires, wind, engine, road, etc.

But if I cover my ears, I do not hear it. I only hear my Ts. If I am in a silent room, most of the times I do not hear it. Others, the less, I hear it ( as some kind of obsessive thought). But the sound is not inside my head or mind. Am I clear?

I had ear worm in the past. Sometimes, bells of a church near my home get stucked in my mind for a while. Car alarms, sirens, etc

Anyone has experienced this?
      Any help or advice, please ?
      God bless you all.