Hello from Tokyo

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Kenneth23, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Kenneth23

Kenneth23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      train noise
      Hello
      My name is Kenneth and I am currently living in Tokyo as a English teacher. I love this city. However, it is the loudest city in the world. I have never had any ear problems in the past in America. About 4 years ago my ears got blasted on the train platform by really loud train horn. I had ringing in my ears for about two weeks. My Japanese doctor at the time gave me blood thinner, B12 and steroids to heal my ears. It worked!
      I decided this was never going to happen again.... So I wore earplugs everyday when I rode the trains.
      However... I decided that my ears were normal now... And I can be like everybody else... So I stopped wearing earplugs on the train. It was great... No problem. But, on April 18 I was waiting on the train platform and an really noisy express train rattled by.... For about 15 seconds.... My ears haven't stopped ringing. It's terrible. I saw the same Japanese ENT again. He checked my hearing and I have no hearing changes. My hearing is still perfect. He gave me blood thinner and B12. But no steroids because he says I have no damage. Just inner ear shock? I have a lot of pressure and my ears clicking more than usual. He says they will get better. The ringing is driving me crazy. I can't sleep. I just got married last month. I am worried.
      Anyway..... Thank you for reading my story.
      And if you come to Tokyo don't forget your earplugs when riding the trains. It's a wonderful city.

2. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Hang in there ! I was married once too..

Loud trains alone cannot cause enough ear damage..too many noisy clubs/bars in Roppongi perhaps ? Karaoke rooms ? ipod earbuds music all the way to the school ?

The horns are loud yes. Subway silly loud music when the door closes too

It all adds up

I'd say protect your ears and avoid loud places for a few months and it should easily get back to normal

• Winner Winner x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kenneth23

Kenneth23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      train noise
      Hello Bobby B
      Thanks for the message.
      I am not such an exciting guy. No noisy bars in Roppongi... No Karaoke.... No iPod earbuds. Just reading my Kindle on the train.
      Maybe my T is from combination of wedding stress, a little TMJ, or some kind of ETD and Noisy Tokyo. Pressure seems to growing and then releasing in my ears.
      Thanks for the advice. I will try to stay away from loud places and loud sounds.
      Have you been to Tokyo before?

• Like Like x 1