Hello, I'm New to This Forum. I Have a Hyperacusis.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by victoria9273, Aug 24, 2017.

1. victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      I am so glad this kind of forum exists. With our modern medical skills not being able to cure this kind of ear related diseases and hearing impairment, and doctors' not able to give clear instructions on these topics, I guess we have only us to depend on for the moment.

I have a severe hyperacusis that has been developing since the year 2014. Of course, before that, I vaguely knew I couldn't stand noises other people easily can. Couldn't go to the theater or near the speakers and emps.

I suspect this hyperacusis was caused by my use of earphones when I was 14 and 15. Used to wear them in the streets, though I wasn't the kind of person to listen loudly at all. But some incident happened that made me instantly shudder to wear them when I was 15. On a bus to a short trip arranged by my school, I made foolish choises to volume up simply because I couldn't hear the music well with all the bus-noises. Then came the temporary tinnitus and a very subtle and imperceptible hearing damage(only noticeable when putting my earplugs on low volumes.)

I actually am a bit thankful that this happened, really, because I wouldn't have wore earphones ever since.
      But I'm the one that believes hearing damage once done, even if it's restored, kind of gets grips to your nerve system and hearing cells and if you're sensitive enough, that comes out as hyperacusis.

So..... now it's mighty uncomfortable to go on with my living! There have been times when I would wear my earplugs even before I go out of my door because I couldn't stand the beep sound my door-look system makes. But I try to not wear them now because it's uncomfortable.....
      I can't stand the sound of the bell in the bus or in the subway. They are unnecessarily loud to me and rings my ears with metallic pains... well, sort of. And I began to seriously think about my paranoia of damaging my ear from those living-noises. Sometimes my ears would prick, tinnitus would come and go, and the sound quality of the music I hear would sound a bit different.... My nerves are constantly breaking down because of hyperacusis. I recently heard an ill-tempered little girl furiatingly screaming in front of me in the crossroads and.... that has put me off the limits. I think my hearing has a but numbed because of that. I wonder what's the end of the hyperacusis? Normal hearing retained but with a decaying mental state or an eventual(I'm sorry. I hope not.) hearing damage?

Oh, I've been only complaining, I see. I'm sorry if these writings distressed you in any way. Despite this physical condition, I always had a passion for the piano. I like Jazz musics. :) And the loud sound these accoustic pianos make is very painful to me which makes me sad. I can wear my 3M earplugs and play but still too loud; but I can't give up on those accoustic ones than a digital ones because the resonance and sound vibrating from chords is very satisfactory. I hope I can cope with this one.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @victoria9273

Welcome to the forum.

I advise you not to use headphones even at low volume. Please click on the links below and read my articles: Tinnitus, A Personal View. Hyperacusis, as I see it. If you haven't been seen at ENT yet or being referred to a Hearing Therapist for treatment that I advise you to get a referral. You may also find the posts in the other links helpful.

All the best
      Michael
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/is-positivity-important.23150/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-mental-health.21978/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-habituation-process.20767/

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      Thanks for your advice. I kind of confused between headphones and earphones and earplugs. I only wore earphones and I never wore them since last 9 years. I use earplugs now. I'm sorry for the confusion. And what an extensive and informative links you put on here! I would gladly read them though.

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @victoria9273

When you read my article: Hyperacusis, As I see it. You will see that I do not recommend the use of "earplugs" any type to be worn too often as there is a risk of making the auditory system more hypersensitive and if one isn't careful, the condition can get worse. If you click on my Avatar and choose "started threads" you will see I've written over 50 posts on tinnitus including hyperacusis that you might find helpful.

Michael

PS: Try to get a referral to be seen at ENT and then referred to Audiology for treatment.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      It is very true and I couldn't agree more. That's why I was consciously not using them even when I don't go outside. Earplugs makes your ears overly sensitive and one's mind and fears kind of cling to those little items, thus more fear on the sounds you hear. And come to face of it, its really uncomfortable putitng them on and off.

6. Freeatlast

Freeatlast Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sound
      Do you still got Tinnitus? If not how long did it last?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      I don't usually have tinnitus. the first tinnitus I ever had was in the incident I wrote and a few days later, it's gone completely. but I do have a tinnitus when I'm mentally distressed or exposed to loud sound and so on. It would eventually disappear after some rest, but i'm not sure about this one I'm having right now. I heard a little girl screaming in front on me outside and it took all my nerves out.

When I do have a tinnitus, usually in my right ear, I hear a 2 different pitched sound(at a narrow interval) constantly swapping each other. I can identify those sound with my piano, but hadn't the time to do it. Besides, it's fun but morbid.