Hello. I'm New.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by 101proof, Mar 26, 2018.

1. 101proof

101proof Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi everyone. I'm new here and already reading these forums has made me feel a lot more positive about my situation.

I've had Tinnitus for as long as I can remember, I don't know how I got it but it's always been there. It's never really bothered me and for the most part I never noticed it apart from a very high pitched whine when its quiet. Occasionally I'd get a pulsing sound like someone starting a motorbike but that never lasted more than a few nights. However 2 weeks ago it just increased in volume dramatically as well as my ears feeling a bit full. Now I can hear it over everything anytime of the day and it's starting to really get to me. I don't know why it has increased but reading info on this site it could possibly be from my blood pressure medication (Bendroflumethiazide). However I've been on that for years and I would have thought I would have been affected earlier if that were the case.

I've been to the doctors today who said that my ears were a bit red and dry inside and prescribed Otomize ear spray. I was going to take this but have since read that it can make things worse so I'm not sure what to do with that now. If it's an infection I might just risk it going on its own.

Anyway I wanted to join as this place seems quite positive and it's nice to get some of this off my chest.
      Thanks

• Like Like x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum @101proof

There are many causes, single or combined, which can trigger or aggravate tinnitus including but not limited to drug side-effects from ototoxic drugs, ear wax build-up, ear-wax removal suction, inner ear infection, Eustachian tube disorder or ETD, ear drum injury, fluid build-up in ears feeling pressured or fullness, sinus infection & congestion especially with a bad cold, TMJ, TTTS, autoimmune disorders such as Lyme Disease & Fibromyalgia, high blood pressure or blood circulation problem, anemia, loud noise exposure or acoustic trauma/shock, head injury or TBI, neck injury or muscle problems, hearing loss from aging or other causes, Meniere's Decease, barotrauma from rapid pressure changes in flights or diving, especially with congested nose or sinus causing failure to balance the pressure changes, slapping of the ears, deep grief, untreated sleep apnea, extreme/extended stress, anxiety & panic disorder, depression, sleep deprivation, etc.

T can also be caused or made worse by unhealthy diet such as too much salt, sugar, caffeine, MSG, alcohol etc. or by lacking some mineral or vitamin supplements, such as Magnesium, Zinc, B12, D3 etc. Pulsatile tinnitus that follows the heart beat can be caused by circulatory system problem and a doctor should be consulted asap.