Hello, It's Me :)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by patt183, Nov 18, 2016.

1. patt183
      Wishful

patt183 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello everyone!
      My name is Patricia and Im 19 years old.

Dont even know where to start as my story seems to be a bit complicated.

2,5 months ago I had what people would consider a perfect life - tons of friends, active social life, a job (which I kinda hated haha), my dating life was getting a bit more interesting, had plans on starting a hairdressing apprenticeship. However I had some MILD (as I now understand) anxiety problems, so I decided to seek help. My GP prescribed me with 50mg of Sertraline (Zoloft). I had an extreme adverse reaction and ended up in a psych ward. I had intense symptoms for 2 months and I was almost recovered.. was so happy.. but thats when I heard a slight ringing in my ear...

I honestly dont know if its the new symptom of Zoloft adverse reaction (which I HIGHLY doubt). I think there might be a possibility its a noise induced trauma. I played the piano, sang and listened to music (not that loud though) on the 31st of October, which was the night I heard the ringing. However it disappeared (or maybe I just did not notice it) the next morning so I did not really think about it as it wasnt that loud anyway. Well, I guess it did not disappear after all cause now its all I can hear. :) I experience many different sounds now - hissing, fridge engine (??) sound, high pitch ringing in both ears. Whenever I wake up in the morning Mr T seems to be gone, but then comes back 10 minutes after or so.

I feel extremely sad right now and the only thing that keeps me in this world is my mom who is so so so supportive. I love her to death and when I say it, I mean it. However, it makes me sad at the same time because I can see her suffering as well because of it all and all I ever wanted was for her to be happy. She truly believes this is going to go away but I do not.

I still dont know what exactly has caused my tinnitus. All I can say is that tinnitus is truly the worst thing Ive experienced in my life.. I long for those days of simple Zoloft induced depression.

I am suffering greatly, but I guess Im not the only one. I honestly dont know how I am going to live with this. It seems that this whole situation has taken it all from me.. but I guess Im lucky to have supportive friends and family.

P.S.
      ENT was no help as I dont have any problems with my ears or hearing loss.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @patt183

Hi Patricia,
      Sorry to hear that you have been going through a difficult time with tinnitus. Many people new to the condition find that after a while things do get easier. Please click on the link below and read the article which you might find helpful. If you listen to music through headphones, then I advise you to stop for a while and try not to be tempted to listen at low volume.

Hope you start to feel better soon.
      Michael
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/an-introduction-to-tinnitus.12100/

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Welcome to Tinnitus Talk patt183.
      Sorry to hear you have tinnitus and had a bad reaction to meds.
      I'm glad you had the support in hospital and hope further support by phone etc.
      Time is a great healer and time for our brain to build up it's own natural filter to your sound and will help as you learn to cope with good and bad days and hope follow your dreams as how you see your future now will not be as bad as time goes on.
      Hope it goes away for you and you have access to white noise generators and audiology counselling if you need it and hope your sleeping ok.
      Sound therapy played below your tinnitus sound through out the night can help played through pillow speakers or a free standing unit.
      We are here around the clock for you and between us all we can help you through this hard time and answer any questions you might like answers too...lots of love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      Hello Patricia,
      Sorry to hear you have been having some problems. Are you still on Zoloft? You are young and I would think reading your history you havent been exposed to loud music and hopefully when you calm down the T will leave and you will be fine. Try not to listen for it and keep some sound around you even soft music or nature sounds when sleeping. Are you sleeping OK ? Important T feeds on stress so try to keep as calm as possible and check out Jullian Cowan Hill on utube for some positive info......

• Like Like x 1
    5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Sorry about your sufferig and welcome to the forum. Here you are never alone as most of us have been where you are. Don't worry and panic or get too depressed about it. Things will improve over time. I was in a mess too initially but now I live a normal and absolutely enjoyable life. I wrote my success story and list some helpful strategies that help me turnaroud. Check it out if you have the time. Take care. You will be just fine. God bless.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      patt183
      Wishful

patt183 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      No, I had to stop Zoloft after that awful adverse reaction I had. Could not sleep, eat and had panic attacks for 3 hours every morning and evening. Those side effects went away after a week, however I started experiencing anxiety, inner and outer trembling, insomnia, depression, appetite loss, crying spells, suicidal thoughts etc. Of course no one believed me when I said that Zoloft messed up my serotonin levels. However I found a website with people just like me.. :) I had a talk with the psychiatrist later on who said that starting on 50mg was probably a bit too much for me as he usually recommends starting out with 25mg or even less.

I sleep okay actually (TOUCH WOOD). It takes me some time to fall asleep and I wake up like 3 times per night, but I do get at least 8 hours of sleep every day. I used to sleep so well before though, it was very hard to wake me up.

Thank you for your lovely thoughts and suggestions. :thankyousign:

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      patt183
      Wishful

patt183 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you everyone! Gonna check everything out. God bless.

8. Stewie
      Heartbroken

Stewie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/84
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Frenquencies high to low.
      Touch wood, never heard that expression.

9. slipware
      Bookworm

slipware Member

Tinnitus Since:
      @patt183 could be British, It's a way of saying 'with any luck'.

10. Steve Hubert

Steve Hubert Member

Tinnitus Since:
      You may wish to try NAC , the supplement. Mostly researched for recently aquire noise induced T, but, since your onset is new it's worth a try. Available where they sell lots of vitamins like a Whole Foods.

11. Doris Sampson

Doris Sampson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      General chat
      Hello everyone!