Hello, Looking for Advice Please

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Woofers, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Woofers

Woofers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello everyone

I've recently been diagnosed with tinnitus and am awaiting an appointment with ENT which will be in July. In the meantime I would be really grateful for any advice and information please, I think you get the best advice from those who are living with the condition so here I am.

A little background, I started having very heavy nosebleeds in April which were terrifying and resulted in me having an operation on an artery at the very back of my nose. I was also having high blood pressure spikes which is thought to be the cause of my nosebleeds. I have now been put on Amplodipine blood pressure tablets and my blood pressure is now 120/80. I then noticed that I had ringing in my ears, and thinking about it I may have noticed it before my nosebleeds started, I remember hearing a ringing sound when I turned off the TV at night but thought it was the TV. I never noticed it during the day or at any other time. It's only now that it's gotten louder and because I'm so aware of what is going on with my nose/head etc that I realise my ears are ringing constantly. I also have pains on one side of my forehead/near my eye every day but not constantly during the day, just now and again. I'm a 48 year old female.

When my doctor diagnosed my tinnitus she said to have background noise on and that there is no cure which I sort of knew.

I'm wondering if this could be anything to do with my blood pressure spikes and also whether Amlodipine could be a factor?

Thanks for taking the time to read this :)

Woofers

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Woofers,
      Many things can cause tinnitus but the most common is exposure to loud noise or sounds. Do you listen to music through headphones regularly, or attend clubs, concerts where music is played loud? If so this could be the cause of your tinnitus. Tinnitus can also result from high blood pressure and Amplodipine. If you read the leaflet inside the box, it will say: "can cause ringing in the ears". I take Amplodipine and haven't noticed any increase in my tinnitus but we are all different. Whatever you don't stop taking it without your doctor's permission. I doubt that it's causing your tinnitus.
      I have written an article on tinnitus that you might find helpful titled: Tinnitus, A Personal View. Please click on the link below. Try to read it in full and not skim through it.

All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Woofers

Woofers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks Michael.

I used to listen to music through headphones years ago but haven't recently, the only really loud noise exposure I have had was when I switched from radio to iPhone in my car and the volumn on my iPhone was high so it really blasted out and gave me palpitations it was that loud and a shock! But it was a one off and a while back so not sure if that could have caused it?

Good to know you take Amplodipine and haven't noticed an increase, did you have tinnitus before going on it? I'll read your article (without skimming :)) and maybe that will tell me. Thanks for sharing that and for your reply.

All the best
      Woofers

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Woofers. If you remember, try putting the @ just in front of the person's name then they'll get a message saying you've replied to their post.

I got tinnitus years after starting Amplodipine. My tinnitus was caused by headphones. My tinnitus can be silent, mild, moderate and severe.
      Hope you find the article helpful.
      Michael

5. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Welcome to the forum :)

Many things can cause and affect tinnitus. It's hard and all of us are living with it all day long. Since your tinnitus is new, it is a scary thing and trust me...all of us been there too. It takes time, but you can manage to live with it. Tinnitus comes in many sounds/levels and intensity. Please protect your ears and avoid loud places, that can give your ears + tinnitus more issues.

We are here for you and 100% understand the world, that you live in

Be well :)

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Woofers

Woofers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you @fishbone for your reassurance, it's much appreciated. I am avoiding loud noises, in fact just asked my OH to turn the telly down :)

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Woofers

Woofers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks @Michael Leigh, I am reading your article with great interest. It's taking me a little while as I'm very aware of my tinnitus whilst reading so am doing so a little each day. I do have a few questions relating to things you mention which I am writing down as I am reading, should I ask you these on messenger or on the forum when I have finished the article? Thanks for the heads up on the @ thingy too :)

8. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Good that you are reading the article. I also have it in PDF format with colour illistration of the ear. Let me know if you want me to send it to you in PDF as you can print it out like a book. Just give me your email address. If you want to ask questions PM me.
      Michael