Hello. New Yorker Here.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by MerkinBill, Sep 5, 2016.

1. MerkinBill

MerkinBill Member

Upstate NY (Formerly NYC, imagine the noise!)
      Tinnitus Since:
      09/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I guess some good CAN be found from Tinnitus Terminator. Research before purchasing the too-good-to-be-true "cure" led me here. I read the posts and signed up.

My profile says September 2010, but I don't quite remember when I was diagnosed. It was about 5 or 6 years ago, so 2010 is good enough. I have had difficulty hearing, in general, as long as I can remember. I hear everything, more or less, to the point of having difficulty sifting out what I'm trying to listen to. Socializing and attending events is a difficult, sometimes painful ordeal.

I've often wondered how others describe their tinnitus. I liken it to the hiss of TV snow of old, but clearer or sharper, as if the TV speakers dampened it. Any thoughts?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. wanda evans

wanda evans Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      age related hearing loss
      I'll tag my introduction onto yours - I came to this site by a similar route. I've had low level T for several years but a spike about a month ago sent me to the internet to find a fix. The advice I've found here is the next best thing, especially the links to masking tracks and the neuromodulators. Thank you, someone, for posting the crickets/running water link. My T is similar to an icy shower sound but the spike was a ringing noise that drove me close to mad. I had it for a few weeks following a sinus cold. Several pcp, ent and an er visit later, the ringing is no longer a constant thing but my baseline T is either higher or I'm more attuned to it now. I'd like to get back to where I was before the spike, knowing I have T but not letting it be in the forefront of my mind.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Do you use hearing aids? If not, why not?

Usually after a spike has mostly gone down the baseline T is a little more "sharp," packs more of a punch.

Give it a few months and I bet it will sound how it was before the spike.

4. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Welcome! Upstate NYer here too (formerly NYC too!) Glad you found this site which is full of great people, help and information.

• Like Like x 1
    5. wanda evans

wanda evans Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      age related hearing loss
      Thank you for the encouraging words. That is what I am hoping for. This morning it was hardly noticable but it's picked up steam since then.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MerkinBill

MerkinBill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MerkinBill

MerkinBill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My constant ringing has become something of a normal thing for me. It's there. I hear it, but can usually manage to do the things I need to do. I've learned that closed captions aren't just for people who have no hearing, but I wish they would always match what is being said in a show/movie.

What does throw me is what I refer to as a "pitch change" (no idea if there's a better/technical term for it). It's like the wavelengthflattens out somewhat, so the tone becomes lower/deeper. Anyone have this?

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MerkinBill

MerkinBill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you for that. Sorry it took so long to reply. I lose track of things, especially when I don't visit regularly.

• Like Like x 1