Hello!! Newbie Here :)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Natalie18, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Natalie18

Natalie18 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      21/12/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Irrigation or Unknown
      Hi! I'm Natalie, 18 years old and from England :)
      I won't go into too much detail because this is only my first post but I got tinnitus a few months ago! Doctor and ENT hopeful it will go away but for now, I'm going to try my best to live with it. I'd love to make friends here and talk to lots of people about their experience as I'm still a newbie and I have to admit that I am a little scared :( I'm doing my exams at school and it really isn't a great time for all of this but I'm trying my hardest to remain positive! I'd love to know about things that help you manage it and i'd be happy to share some things that i've been doing over these past few months too :) nice to meet you all!!

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Lorenzo74 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi @Natalie18 and Welcome to TT..

You will find a lot of useful information and nice people to relate too, also around your age group...

Hopefully your ENT is right and it will fade away... In the meantime try not to strees/think too much about it, as concentrating on it will make it stronger... If you have troubles sleeping or studying I would suggest you to use some background noise as masking, so it will be easier to concentrate on something else rather than it...

The first few months are the hardest, but if the sound is not too intrusive you should habituate to it fairly quickly..

In the meantime I would also suggest you to go easy with headphones and loud environment/music, to do lots of sport to keep your mind off it and eat and drink healthy stuff... It can only do you good :)

All the best and take care of yourself and your ears :)

3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Natalie18 welcome to tinnitus talk. It is good that your Doctor's are hopeful that your tinnitus will go away, and this is certainly true especially for someone new to the condition. I believe one of the best ways of making that come true, is to not listen to music through headphones even at low volume, and be careful of attending places where loud sounds or music is played. I have written an article on tinnitus especially for newbies that you might find helpful. Click on the link below.

Best of luck
      Michael
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie18

Natalie18 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      21/12/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Michael! Thank you so much for your advise, I haven't listened to music through my headphones ever since I got the tinnitus and I will continue to do that :) Your article was very helpful, thank you so much. I really appreciate you commenting!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie18

Natalie18 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      21/12/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @Lorenzo74
      Thank you so much, you really made me feel welcomed and reassured :) Your advise is very useful and in the mean time I will definitely be careful around loud music and loud environments in general! I will try the background noise idea when I am studying, as it can be more noticeable then, so thank you very much! All the best and take care of yourself too :)

6. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thank you for your kind comments @Natalie18 and I wish you a speedy recovery.
      All the best
      Michael

7. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      @Natalie18 So glad you found TT!! Bummed to hear you are dealing with T! BUT Yur not alone and there is hope! Are you getting good sleep?? Thats usually the biggest hurdle and obstacle when dealing with T. I also suggest masking sounds to help deal. But also look into mindfulness techniques. Teach yourself to live in the now and own your situation. T is a tough opponent, but we can, and will win!! Breathe, focus, and enjoy the moment. Don't allow T to rob you. I know, easier said than done. But when we take the offensive against T, positive things happen! I encourage you that you WILL get through this!! I have, as have many others here on TT! Sometimes it doesn't seem possible,but it is!! Stay strong, stay healthy, have fun and don't give up!!

Cheers!

Jeff