Hello There. New to Tinnitus.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ozchatnoir, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Ozchatnoir

Ozchatnoir Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Looking forward to reading the available information. I have had background noise in my head for a couple of months - sounds like water rushing through pipes but it isn't intrusive and doesn't bother me.

Over the last couple of weeks I have developed ticking and buzzing in my right ear. I was shocked as it is very intrusive and when it really got going I'd feel dizzy and nauseous. I saw the GP and had a CT scan and I don't have an acoustic neuroma thankfully.

I am having audiology next month - I have annual check for low level hearing loss. The GP said there may be no cause so I thought I just have to live with it but this last week it has been waking me up. I spoke to the chemist as I take a lot of meds for Bipolar 2 but she doesn't think it's the meds as they haven't been changed in the last twelve months. I hope not, it takes a long time to get them right. Now I am concerned as sleep disturbance can trigger the bipolar symptoms and I could end up very unwell.

I see my psychiatrist in November and I left a message at his office about my concerns. I am finding my focus at work isn't crash hot and I'm doing a masters and finding it difficult to focus - I have an exam next month.

I see my psychologist on Mon so I'll talk to her about my new found anxiety thanks to T.

I will go back to the ENT that looks after my allergies and sinuses.

I will also talk to the dentist as I have previously had TMJ but hasn't been bad in a long time.

I may see the physio re neck/shoulders as I do long distance commuting dragging around luggage. No stone unturned - having a science background I will go through a process of elimination before I'm convinced that T isn't caused by anything.

I'm going to be busy and I'm enjoying reading others posts. Thank you.

2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi..

I'm sorry about your new noise. Your plan sounds sensible. My friend has said she has hyperacusis from her bipolar meds..can ask her which one if that helps any? Are you in Australia?

• Like Like x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Check out
      http://hlaa-sbc.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Ototoxic_Brochure.pdf
      Also
      Where you exposed to any noise before the onset of the new sound?

You might want to stay away from moderate noises like that of a vacuum cleaner or a blender.

Tinnitus does not have to be permanent:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/spontaneous-recovery-stats-over-70-recover-3-studies.21441/

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ozchatnoir

Ozchatnoir Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks Deb. Yes I am in Australia. :)

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ozchatnoir

Ozchatnoir Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks Bill. Yes Lithium is on that list - I have therapeutic blood levels done every three months. Have been on it since 2013 and very effective mood stabiliser.

No I haven't been exposed to loud noise causing ear damage. When I was young I used to get a lot of ear infections. I've had a noisy head for about 12 months mainly at night but i haven't been distressed by it (music) - I put it down to the Bipolar. Then the water noise started a couple of months ago which is fine but this right ear thing over the last couple of weeks is very distracting.

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      There are other drugs on that list that have a Very low probability of causing problems. I guess the list includes all of the drugs for which this probability is nonzero. So if a drug is not on the list, one can be sure that it won't cause T. However if it is on the list, then it just means that one ought to look into it.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ozchatnoir

Ozchatnoir Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you everyone. The T seems to have settled down somewhat - the dizziness is much better. I think I'm getting used to the ticking also. See how it goes. o_O

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1