Help — Do I Have Hyperacusis

Discussion in 'Support' started by MJC, Sep 6, 2015.

1. MJC
      Depressed

MJC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April
      Ive had Tinnutus for 5 months - ringing in both ears- but I also suffer from blocked ears with very painful pressure. It feels like my ears are about to explode I am sensitive to sound- can't got into restaurants, bars or any place with noise as it hurts my ears and makes it worse.

The painful blocked pressure in the ears is the biggest problem- I saw an ENT doctor and they can't see anything and just dismissed me. I am desperate now for help- I can't function properly with the amount of pain and pressure.

5 months later I am not getting any better and the symptoms are not disappearing.

Is there anyone out there that has the same symptoms and can give me advice.
      I don't know what to do anymore- I'm losing all hope...

2. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      If normal sounds bother you and are painful, then yes, you most likely do have hyperacusis. However, it could also be the blocked up ears just making your hearing more difficult. Even if you have H, hyperacusis is usually is not permanent. It will improve as as your ears clear up. I have it now but only mildly. It used to be much worse. It took me several months to get better but it did improve. If the ENT/Drs didn't find anything medically wrong with you, consider that a very good sign and that the positive outlook means you will get better. There is a lot of info on TT about hyperacusis with some good suggestions. Do a search and read up on it.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Mark Beehre
      Facebooking

Mark Beehre Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2008 // 11/2014
      Happened the same with me @MJC. I am not over the hurdle yet, but my H feels a lot more improved. I am able to do more and more normal things without significant set back. It's taken 9-10 months to get to where I am and I remember feeling the way you are after 8 months into the journey. Time is the best healer with H.

4. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Its the only healer.

5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hyperacusis is tough going with tinnitus.
      Its all about desensitising your sensitive ears.
      When you come to a sound you find tough to hear try to remember your in control and walk away calmly and take deep breaths if panic.
      Build up time with that sound till your ears are happy with it and remember not to fear it.
      TRT and maskers can help in sever cases...lots of love glynis

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MJC
      Depressed

MJC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April
      @Mark Beehre Hi Mark, thanks for your reply! So do you still have the blocked ears and pressure or?

I am trying to be positive :)

Take care

7. Mark Beehre
      Facebooking

Mark Beehre Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2008 // 11/2014
      No, my ears are no longer blocked. I occasionally get days where I experience mild pressure like now and days where I experience pain on and off. Although the frequency of these events has been on the decline.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MJC
      Depressed

MJC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April
      Today has been a crazy bad day for me- the pressure and pain in my ears has been really tough going... I can't understand why everyday is different - some days the pressure is high in both ears and other days not so bad...