Help — Very Loud Spike Out of Nowhere

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sarah200, May 12, 2018.

1. Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Hi

My left ear has out of nowhere become really loud to the point I can hear it above the TV and can't even think straight.

What the hell is going on, I have not eaten anything new and have not been exposed to loud noises, so am confused?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Have you got compacted wax from earplug use possibly? Could also be a Eustachian tube issue.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      No wax as doctor said I had no wax when I got blood results , it's gone down again now so it was a temporary spike I did get pain and a pressure feeling when it happened? My ear has gone back to normal now so confused on what it was?

Caffeine spikes my tinnitus and I did have a cup of decaf coffee, maybe it was that? I thought I was given decaf.

4. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Did you exert yourself? Run up and down any stairs etc? Exercise can spike your tinnitus and so can a change in blood pressure.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      No, I was just sitting watching TV while drinking a cup of decaf coffee.

Exercise does not bother my tinnitus, I do Zumba 3x a week and my tinnitus never spikes.

6. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Maybe a prolonged fleeting tinnitus episode? Tinnitus can be odd at the best of times.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      That's what I thought Ed, as it's gone now, T is a mystery and seems to be custom to each individual what affects one might not affect another.

8. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      @Sarah200 always wait at least 7 days before starting to worry about a spike. They come and go.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Holly1987

Holly1987 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Sarah200 mine does this a lot for no reason at all. The other day I was sitting at my desk and it spiked so loud, I actually said outloud "Far out! This is crazy!" It lasted around 45 minutes then went down. It's happened to me enough times now to know it goes away after a while. It's still bloody scary though.

• Hug Hug x 2
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Thanks, Holly, I know it's annoying that this happens, another thing I have noticed is if I don't eat chocolate my T spikes but as soon as I eat chocolate I'm fine again (by chocolate I mean pure dark chocolate) maybe it's the cocoa that helps my tinnitus?

• Like Like x 1
    11. Holly1987

Holly1987 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Really?! Now if anyone ever questions you about eating chocolate you can say "It's for medicinal purposes, I have no choice!" :D

• Like Like x 2
    12. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      I've noticed that occasionally my t will get louder for minutes to an hour before it gets lower for a while. When it gets louder I tell myself to be patient because it's going to get quieter.

• Like Like x 1
    13. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Decaf coffee usually contains caffeine but the amount I believe depends on the brand. Was the coffee a different brand than you are used to? Glad it went away!

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Yes it was the first time I had tried decaf as normal coffee always spikes my tinnitus.

It was Nescafé decaf cappucino.

15. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Mine did this yesterday as I was walking in town. It ramped up so loud like one of those temproaray fleeting episodes that usually last a few seconds. But this time it lasted about an hour and I had a residual ectra loud tone in background for a long while which lasted into the early morning today. My normal T is bad enoughto cope with, but these episodes are indeed not relaxing experiences.