Help, Having Surgery and Need Recommended Pain Management

Discussion in 'Support' started by Holdingon, May 30, 2017.

1. Holdingon

Holdingon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Having surgery tomorrow and my head is spinning over what type of pain management to use. I can be prescribed Percocet or Neurontin (gabapentin).

I've read conflicting reports.

Some say they will make it worse, others that it helps. Any consensus on what would be the safest between the two? Thank you!

2. Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      bump, anyone know?

3. blissaliss
      Swamped

blissaliss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic drugs/ maximum stressful job
      I've had T for 5 months, when I needed to go through a full hysterectomy surgery. I was so scared T would go back to a 5 or louder. Started off at a 9-10, I was a complete wreck, wanting to smash my head into a wall...or worse. I got it down to a 1-2. i tried everything and I think like a" high"ish dose liquid magnesium, high niacin, and zinc got it down. Oh, and I needed to take clanzapam to initially reduce the sound and stress I was under. Nothing reduced the sound before the clanzapam. The vitamins kept it down.
      Anyways, I woke up from surgery and was T free for 48 hours. The antibiotic they insisted I had to take did not trigger anything. Over the course of my recovery, I had ibuprofen and oxycodone, and I felt my T raise from a 2 to a3 to a 4 and a 5. Enough!! Pain in my abdomen was not going to create this hell all over again. I stopped, went to tylenol and flexeril to sleep. and started my vitamins and clanzapam and the T went down to a 2-3 within 48 hours.

Scary stuff. I couldnt get through any of this without my husband constantly saying, it will be ok, stop reading horror stories online and scarring yourself. READ WHAT WORKS based on research. Because we all know panic is the lava flowing from T.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      There needs to be a list of "safe" medications and bad meds for those who are going through surgery...nobody can afford to have permanent T just because they didnt know a certain pill will alter their life in this way.

• Agree Agree x 3
    5. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Couldn't agree more.

6. blissaliss
      Swamped

blissaliss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If I had to put my finger on it I would say the huge ibuprofen dose was worse than the oxicodone. It is hard to decide in that situation. Tylenol seemed harmless mostly, and T seemed less if I did oxicodone and Tylenol. Worth the extra discomfort.

I just started the Tinaki Tinitus Protocol today. His research and book is extensive, impressive and he put it together in a manual that once printed was so organized that it's fool proof. You can Google it and read/ watch his bio. I admit his story sometimes looks a little exadurated for added interest, but that had nothing to do with his actual findings on remyelination. I will post in a couple weeks how that has effected me. He adds a journal/survey to everyday of this therapy for me to keep track of real changes.

As far as safe meds... I look everything up before the doctors and tell them what I'd like for the simptoms. There are natural ways to get rid omany things. Like apple cider vinegar for ear infections. Cbd oil for pain and anxiety (but that has to get into your system first)
      Lol, the doctors gave me something that was supposed to trigger tinitus for an ear infection. I used acv, told him I finished their perscption and she said t he infection was completely gone. Still had T. But no infection so I didn't make the t worse.

7. blissaliss
      Swamped

blissaliss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I know what the Tinaki Tinitus Protocol is claiming is close to many other things I've come across in that area, but this is so extensive and the pieces really match up with itself and with most recent successful research in tinitus, so I'm going for it!

8. blissaliss
      Swamped

blissaliss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ok, I think the diet gave me hope to get through the time needed to habituate. I found night time sleep hypnosis taught by Michael Sealy taught me to find joy and calmness during the night. Most importantly, exactly what I feel, identify triggers and that I'm ok, even during spikes. The diet and two meditation plans habituated me quickly.

I lost my job and a full summer over excruciating tinnitus.

9. AJS

AJS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hello Holdingon - are you still on tinnitus talk? If so I’d like to know how you got on after your surgery back in 2017. Did the drugs you were given post surgery worsen your tinnitus? Im asking because I have hip surgery coming up on the NHS. I went to see a pain management person from the NHS today and he was very
      ignorant about tinnitus- I had to take time to explain it to him. So, Im reaching out on Tinnitus talk to see if there are recommended pain management drugs for tinnitus sufferers. If Holdingon is no longer using tinnitus talk, can anyone else advise please? Thanks