Help Identify Symptoms (Hearing Distortion, Ear Pain, Jaw Pain, No Ear Pain)

Discussion in 'Support' started by IceWarrior, Apr 24, 2019.

1. IceWarrior

IceWarrior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      Hello, I am just looking for some help in identifying my symptoms as doctors haven’t been much help.

I am a police officer and on the SWAT team so I am exposed to loud sounds often and shoot guns often. I was recently exposed to a blast from a breaching shotgun into a car tire.

All of my symptoms are only in my left ear. I now I have tinnitus which I am pretty much used to and some high frequency hearing loss but nothing that shows on the standard audiogram. Why I don’t understand is the distortion I have in my left ear. When I talk at slightly louder than normal volumes it sort of sounds like a high pitched broken speaker or a vibration. I also get this from other people’s voices and higher pitched sounds. Phone speakers tend to be the worst.

I have also recently started getting some ear pain and mostly jaw pain but I can’t tell if they are coming from sounds or maybe I have TMJD. I noticed my jaw clicking and grinding which I did not notice before.

When I hear sounds I do not notice any pain, even with the distortion.

I guess my main question is, with Hyperacusis symptoms do you notice the pain at the same time as the sound or does it come after the sound? I’m just trying to figure out where my jaw pain and such is coming from.

2. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Both, depends on the kind of sound you are exposed to or you are most sensitive to.

3. ToriaM34

ToriaM34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown - maybe frequent ear infections
      Hey, I have no experience regarding ear/jaw pain so I can't comment on those but I just wanted to let you know that when I was exposed to a loud noise in my left ear in January, afterwards I noticed the exact same distortion effect when I spoke loudly or when others spoke loudly and it was particularly bad when listening to someone talking on the phone - it almost sounded kazoo-like. I can tell you that as of right now the distortion has faded probably about 80% and I only really notice it occasionally if I'm perhaps listening to a poor audio quality YouTube video that involves speech. It was a gradual process over the months but I just want to give you some assurance that this distortion may not be permanent.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
    5. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      The TMJ and hearing damage issues go together. Noise causes my face to feel hard and numb at times ever since my acoustic injury.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      IceWarrior

IceWarrior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      Thanks for the replies. I’ve only been having the jaw and ear pain for about a week and began when I had to wear a gas mask for an excessive amount of time. I’m trying to figure out if my pain in jaw and ear is from hyperacusis or tmj. I can still do everything I did before the injury without issue, I just notice the distortion and pain (which comes at random times). I’m just not sure what causes the pain.

7. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      The gas mask may have pressure and contracted some muscle and the pressure is irradiating. That's a possibility.