Help! Sleeping Med Suggestions for Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kat Tracy, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Kat Tracy

Kat Tracy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Awaiting diagnosis next week
      Hello,

I see ENT tomorrow. Tinnitus and feeling of pressure increased again last night, did not think it was possible, tried sleeping sitting up. No more than 2 hrs per night. Brutal.

Can anyone please suggest a sleeping med that works and doesn’t increase tinnitus? Depression and fear setting in at this point.

Best wishes for your silent nights. kat

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Thissucks..jenn

Thissucks..jenn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 1-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bunch of b.s from cosmetic injections
      Amitriptyline 10mg

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      Hi Kat,

Instead of resorting to sleeping meds, try to take a holistic approach. For example, you can try other therapies to get you to relax, ie. music, bath, exercise, or reading.

If that does not work, ask your family doctor for a prescription for an SSRI.

Good luck!

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kat Tracy

Kat Tracy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Awaiting diagnosis next week
      Thank you for responding. I do find working out helps. It’s really the pressure in my head I feel when lying down. I keep music and TV on, not sure it’s the answer but a good distraction of back noise. many thanks.

5. Depressed
      Depressed

Depressed Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bupropion (Elontril)/Bruxism
      Quetiapine has helped me a lot. I only could sleep out of exhaustion after staying hours and hours awake, and now i can sleep in less than an hour.

According to my psychiatrist it's not ototoxic, and on the internet i haven't found anything about it provoking or worsening tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Zud

Zud Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      While my tinnitus isn't too bad in the day, I find at night that it can prevent me sleeping properly. In order to sleep I often have to be exhausted and even then I will wake up due to the sound. Sleeping aids are great at first but become ineffective if you use them too much, and most of google advice is rudimentary (have a healthy diet; read a book; regular exercise; shut up and stop thinking about it etc.)

My plan in the next few weeks is to start a course of Mirtazapine, what are your experiences with this medication or others for sleeping? Are there side effects?

• Like Like x 1
    7. boliston
      No Mood

boliston Member

Tinnitus Since:
      30th April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      My doctor prescribed Mirtazapine as I was having a lot of sleep related issues in September. It got me to sleep fine but the next day I had this awful 'drugged up' feeling so decided not to take any more.

8. LostOutWest
      Not amused

LostOutWest Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’m on a low (30mg dose) of daily Nortriptyline and I’ve never slept better in my life. Solid 9 hours of glorious, uninterrupted sleep.

9. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I took Trazodone at 50mg for about 6 months, and then have been using an OTC sleep (with magnesium, GABA, 5-HTP, etc.) supplement since. I didn't take anything for the past 5 days as a test, and I've been getting the same quality of sleep (around 6 hours, interrupted). I'm going to try going off pills.

10. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Don’t you get dry mouth from that drug?

11. LostOutWest
      Not amused

LostOutWest Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I noticed a bit of dry mouth at 40/50mg but not so much at 30mg. I do get a touch of lightheadedness if I get up too fast if I’m above 30mg (which is a pretty low dose).

I would totally get off of this pill if not for the sleeping benefits! Some report benefits to their tinnitus as well. There is some clinical study data that shows for certain folks Nortryptiline decreases tinnitus loudness. I unfortunately did not have this benefit.