Help with Spike from "Fleeting" Somatic Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by kmohoruk, Jan 28, 2020.

1. kmohoruk
      Nerdy

kmohoruk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise, Ear Infection, TMJ
      Hello Everyone,

I am looking to see if I would be able to get some help from anyone who has had this happen to them.

Long story short, about 4 days ago when I was at work, I was walking around the office when all of a sudden I had a moderate case of fleeting tinnitus (i.e., tinnitus spiked, hearing dropped, tinnitus got reactive) on top of my usual hissing tinnitus. It freaked me out, but has happened before, and had started to dissipate within the hour. However, by the time I went home that night I noticed that I had a new louder reactive ringing (i.e., tinnitus would get louder around other sounds) in my right ear.

I have had instances like this in the past, and have been told by my ENT that it is often related to somatic issues, which in my case is usually tension in my neck, shoulders, and jaw from sitting at a desk. I have some TMJ issues that are related to my clenching my jaw when I am stressed or have a bad sleep (like right now!).

When this has happened in the past it has usually dissipated within a couple of days; however, this time this new reactive ring has been hanging around. Weirdly, there have been moments where I can't hear this reactive ring, and then I move around or get something from another area in the office and then the reactive ringing gets louder. It's a bit frustrating to say the least!

If anyone who has gone through something like this before and has any advice, or knows of any possible body alignment issues that could be contributing to this then I would greatly appreciated it. I have seen @Greg Sacramento post about this, and would be curious if you have any insight :).

If not, then just a little support or positivity would be great during a time of need:puppykisses:

Thank you!

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @kmohoruk I have this problem and I have done considerable research, but as we all know the auditory process is complicated - it often goes beyond hearing loss. Cause may involve vein, artery and nerves that pressure the auditory nerve complex. This connection may be related to somatic issues.

Direct and indirect:

Often reaction to electrical sounds - motor driven - a computer, printer, refrigerator and cars.
      In association - movement of jaw and neck. Forward head bending with jaw and neck issues. Shoulders need to be relaxed.
      C spine straightening placing pressure on C1 C2 or even lower.
      A troubled C spine can cause so many physical somatic issues of neck and from there to jaw.
      Tight muscles of neck - emotional tension, rising blood pressure and dehydration also plays a part.

So yes, it's starts with alignment of neck - the C spine.
      Don't place too much pressure on shoulders when sleeping. Try at least 4 inches of height with pillows.

Magnesium may help - with magnesium a little calcium is needed - too much calcium can upset the abdominal areas. Take one pill of magnesium and divide it into 4 pieces. Take one piece at a time over the course of a day. Muscles will always ask for more magnesium, so spreading out intake is important. A little vitamin C may also help. There's debate with zinc as to being helpful. Antioxidants such as a few green grapes and blueberries. Turmeric may help.

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kmohoruk
      Nerdy

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you @Greg Sacramento for the very detailed and informative message. This is the first time that I have had a spike that has hung around for this long. The weird thing is there are moments where it is very loud, and then moments where I can barley hear it.

I have been trying to sit better at work and have good posture. Additionally I have been trying to cut down on some of my stress at home and at work, with hopes that may help matters a bit.

I will look into some of those supplements. For right now, I think trying to continue to stretch and be active, cut down on stress, and reduce my sitting time should hopefully aid in this reactive ring dissipating a bit.

May I ask how long a somatic tinnitus spike has lasted for you before?

4. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @kmohoruk

Do you remember ever having a collarbone injury? Your collarbone may be pressing a sternocleidomastoid (SCM) muscle. On each side - one attaches behind the ear (mastoid) and then down the neck to attach to the collarbone or clavicle. Your SCM may have lifted - this is called - medial aspect superiorly. Neck bruises could also appear.

The reactive ringing may be from a collarbone tilt causing nerve sensitivity to your SCM and then to your mastoid.

Try this and if this is the problem your reactive spike and maybe some of your regular T may settle, even though you list loud noise and ear infection as cause of that.

Let's not talk use of a neck collar or physical SCM muscle therapy - yet - for maybe this discussion as cause or related C spine injury.

Stand and sit straight with shoulders relaxed as much as possible. Control forward head bending as much as possible. Read about all the tips - research correct posture.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kmohoruk
      Nerdy

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't believe that I have ever had a collarbone injury, but I imagine somewhere in my shoulders or neck something is being pressed.

Yeah it may be something that I look into. I know that over the years I haven't had the best posture at times, and I have a feeling that may have played into things as well.

I will defintley check that out Greg! Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I will also try and see if I can get back to a regular work out schedule, and doing a little yoga to keep things limber

• Like Like x 1
    6. Deniseh

Deniseh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly b12/folic acid deficiency and GERD
      @Greg Sacramento

I have been reading with interest your reply to OP.

I have the same symptoms i.e. increase/decrease in tinnitus depending on head situation (mainly lying in bed).

You asked OP if they remembered injuring collarbone so I wanted to ask whether injury to rotator cuff could also cause these symptoms?? I injured mine maybe 1 and a half years ago, to be fair tinnitus didn’t start till the following year. What do you think??

Denise x