Here I Am

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by AlisdarFirestone, Apr 10, 2017.

1. AlisdarFirestone

AlisdarFirestone Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello everyone. Ive been a longtime lurker here, but decided to sign up for an account. Maybe ill find an answer, maybe I will not.

My story: i was in a car accident back in february. It was nothing serious at all- at most, a fender bender. But I did hit my forehead slightly just above my eye. There was negligible pain barely nothing at all I didnt lose consciousness. No memory problems. I felt perfectly fine. As far as i can tell, no concussion, because my cognitive abilities and balance and sleep, all perfect. Until a week later. this horrible ringing began in my right ear. Does tinnitus begin with even a love tap on the head? Its now extremely loud in my head, but I feel it most in my left ear. It sounds like a high pitched squeal. i went to a hearing test centre and they told me my hearing was fine for my age. my GP examined my ear drum, and said it looked healthy aside from some slight wax and fluid. well, he cleaned it, and the ringing didn't stop. HORRIBLE! >>>CAN'T SLEEP<<<

Referred me to ENT. My ENT told me, may be premature to say, but you may have tinnitus for life, you must learn how to cope. i broke down in front of him. i wanted to die when i heard that. still kind of want to for silence, but im trying to stay strong, because i know my heroes have tinnitus. ENT applied pressure against my head and moved my jaw around, and my tinnitus squeals at a higher pitch sometimes. he told me to see my dentist. my dentist told me I grind my teeth at night, called me a "classic night time grinder (??)" and mentioned bruxism, and sometimes, sometimes, this can cause tinnitus. so he wants me to wear a night guard. and this i hope may clear my tinnitus.

So this is my story. i keep coming to forums, hoping to read about either a cure or success story for someone with a similar problem like mine. i cant sleep at all. Im moody, I hate everyone, especially myself, because my body has betrayed me. I cant work and cant socialize.

Sorry if this is not most positive post, but as we say, "merci" for reading!

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Welcome to Tinnitus Talk @AlisdarFirestone.
      First of all is to get you sleeping to help cope with the unwanted emotions and that will help you cope a little better.

You could try playing natural sounds through the night to help distract your brain from focusing on the Tinnitus sound.
      Melatonin or over the counter sleep aids.
      A short course of sleeping tablets.
      For long term a low dose antidepressant for sleep.

Keeping sound on around you day and night that's relaxing or mood lifter you like,tv or radio will help distract you.
      Going for short walks in the fresh air are good tinnitus breaks instead of just one long one.
      If it's a nice day then open a few windows to help bring outside sounds in to your home.

Wearing a dentist mouth guard over your lower teeth will help relieve pressure on your jaw joint and also protect your teeth and should help settle your tinnitus over time so you won't see any quick fix as can take a few weeks to work.

Love glynis

• Winner Winner x 1