Here's my story..What's your opinion?

Discussion in 'Support' started by WestCoastGirl85, Jun 4, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. WestCoastGirl85

WestCoastGirl85 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic ear drops getting into inner ear canal
      This was what I wrote out for my ENT appointment at the end of October 2011.

August 4th 2011 my friend did a syringed with water thing where you spray water in ear to remove ear wax. August 9th went to urgent care for soar throat and left earache. They gave me Avalox for 5 days, and told me I had an inflamed ear canal. I was getting better. on August 16th (Tuesday) I went to my DR to make sure my ears were doing ok, he said my left ear was still inflamed and he gave me ear drops. The next day Wednesday the 17th my RIGHT ear was itching so I put a Kleenex over my finger and itched inside my ear, the next day Thursday the 18th I had lots of pain in my RIGHT ear. Waited 4 days and on monday August 22nd I went to the DR and he said I had a middle ear infection in my RIGHT ear. He gave me Amoxicillin (500mg) for 10 days and more ear drops. I continued the ear drops and medicine for 10 days. The drops I took 4 times a day for 10 days. I read online that these ear drops were Ototoxic. The last day of my medicine was August 31st and on Thursday, September 1st my Right ear started ringing. On September 3rd I had a random discharge in my left ear and it never happened again. I went back to the DR on September 8th to ask how my ears were doing and about the ringing. He said my infection was cleared up and ringing should go away, and that is takes time for ears to heal themselves after infection. He said the ringing should go away soon, If not better by beginning of October to go back and see him. During that time on September 15th I went to an ENT and got a hearing test done and have hearing loss in the high frequencies ( i have results) He told me my infection was cleared up and he had no idea why my ear was ringing and not worry about it. I got back from vacation October 2nd and on October 3rd I had an MRI done because I was supposed to get one in June and I never did ( I have results). It showed swollen pituitary gland and mucous/fluid in right mastoid air cell. There was also a request to get another MRI done. My DR referred me to an Endocrinologist to take care of my swollen pituitary gland. October 11th I went to an audiologist and I had the same results, high frequency hearing loss but she told me it was very minimal, and to come back in a year and check on it. On October 18th I had my 2nd MRI done just of the pituitary gland. Meanwhile, For 2 months I have had a sharp pain in the mastoid region of my right ear, the same area that was shown on the first MRI. I have never been to concerts much and do not listen to my iPod. I used to many years ago but it was never loud. I still have the High pitched ringing in my right ear only. It sounds like when a TV is on but there is nothing on the screen. I have never had an ear infection in my life, this was my first one.
    2. Jay M

Jay M Member

South Carolina, USA
      Tinnitus Since:
      Have you seen an allergist and been tested for what pollens, foods and or insects you may be allergic to? Itchy ears is usually an indication of an allergic reaction. People with a very low T theyre either aware of or not; something theyre very allergic to can increase their noise levels. Considering you believe that your T is not noise induced You should throughly investigate that area of your health.
    3. ampumpkin

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      hello dear.

Ototoxic medications caused my T and I have a feeling that this could be your case too...
    4. cullenbohannon

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      After reading your post its hard to pinpoint what may be the main cause, it could be that different things contributed. My T started after an infection, for most i think there is not much damage done unfortunately for some i think the bacteria or virus can damage the hair cells the same way noise exposure would. Also some people get it from syringing and qtips as well. There are tiny bones that are attached to the ear drum and help carry sounds to the inner ear. If you hit this to hard or often its similar to what happens when you hear loud noises. It sends those vibrations directly to the inner ear and can cause damage. I forgot the article i saw this in ill post it if i find it.

5. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I had my ears syring for wax, the doc. damaged the canal of the ears and gave me antiobitics to put in tit..not too long after my ears started ringing..he said it is not related not know what to believe..keep intouch