Hey Guys, New in the Forum

Discussion in 'Support' started by Guy Lavrusevich, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Guy Lavrusevich

Guy Lavrusevich Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012-2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I got my tinnitus when I was at 8th grade around 2012-2013 I remember going to the doctors and nobody understood what I was trying to explain, they took me to different tests that didn't help or show anything so I just gave up about my ringing.
      The big thing is I just forgot about my ringing for the past 3-4 years, I didn't notice anything not even ringing I just continued with my life my life BUT for some reason very recently I just started to hear the ringing again.
      Is it possible that my tinnitus was temporary? maybe the tinnitus got back now because I'm in a lot of stress because I'm going to join the army in the end of the month?

Thanks for reading, love to hear your thoughts maybe they'll help me a lot

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Do you go to clubs or concerts where loud music is played, or listen to music a lot through headphones? If the answer is yes to one or both, this could be the reason for the increase in tinnitus. When tinnitus increases and there is no underlining medical condition causing it, the likely cause is loud sounds.
      Michael

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Guy Lavrusevich

Guy Lavrusevich Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012-2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So will my tinnitus decrease overtime?

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You didn't answer my question. Do you go to clubs, concerts and the cinema where loud sounds are played? Do you listen to music through headphones regularly?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Guy Lavrusevich

Guy Lavrusevich Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012-2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Oh sorry, yes I listen to music though headphones regularly through headphones.

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Unfortunately Guy, that is the cause of your problems. Many people do not believe headphone use can make tinnitus worse even when the music is low, but it can in many cases. I advise you to stop listening to music through headphones if, you don't want the tinnitus to get worse, and it will. So, stop now and save yourself a lot of heartache and misery for years to come. Please read the post below, the choice is yours.
      All the best
      Michael

Headphones and Tinnitus.

The views on whether a person with tinnitus should listen to music through headphones are controversial. Some people show no adverse affects while others do even when the volume level is kept low.
      We are all different so the only way a one can know is to experiment for themselves if they want to. In my opinion, when the tinnitus was caused by exposure to loud noise/music and it has become intrusive - by this I mean a person having to seek help at ENT, then they shouldn’t listen to music through headphones no matter how low the volume is set.

Most music has syncopation throughout its frequency range, so it’s constantly changing in pitch, rhythm and timbre. The beat of the music and volume can also change while listening. This evokes pleasure and can stir our emotions. This happens whether we listen to music loud or soft, although certain types of music does sound better played at a higher volume than others, and vice versa.

Once the Cochlear in the inner ear becomes damaged by noise exposure, it is much more sensitive to sound. This is one of the reasons hyperacusis (sensitivity to sound) is often experienced with noise-induced tinnitus. The wearing of WNGs (white noise generators) as part of TRT treatment can often cure the condition. I have covered Hyperacusis and Habituation in a post further down in the forum.

The organ of the Corti, which is attached to the Cochlear, has approximately 20,000 hair
      cells. These hair cells move to the vibration of sound and are just one of the components in the auditory system that enable us to hear. Someone that already has a sensitive auditory system due to noise-induced tinnitus and listens to music through headphones at a low volume, risks irritating the Cochlear further; this can make the tinnitus louder and more intrusive.

In my opinion, it can be misleading when some health professionals tell tinnitus patients, listening to music through headphones is fine as long as long as the volume is kept low. These health professionals mean well and know a lot about the anatomy of the ear and therefore, it is not my intention to try and undermine their abilities or expertise. However, It must be said, that many of them have never experienced intrusive tinnitus.

I have spoken to people and corresponded with them by email and at Internet forums, complaining their tinnitus has become worse after listening to music through headphones even though the volume was kept low. My advice to anyone that has tinnitus that was caused by exposure to loud noise is not to listen to music through headphones, as the auditory system is more sensitive.

White noise generators.
      Some may question the use white noise generators and in-ear types that emit white noise directly into the ear. White noise generators don’t usually irritate the auditory system due to the volume being kept low and its frequency range remains constant, so there is no syncopation within it unlike music.

Although white noise generators can be bought privately to treat tinnitus I don’t advise anyone to do so, unless a Hearing Therapist/Audiologist has first tested their auditory system for suitability. A person must also be shown how to use these devices correctly, as improper use can make the tinnitus worse. Furthermore, they are normally used in conjunction with Tinnitus Retraining Therapy to get maximum benefit.

Michael

PS. I also don't advise listening to white noise, pink noise, brown, noise etc through headphones even at low volume. It is best to always be under the care of an ENT clinic /Hearing Therapist.

• Winner Winner x 1
    7. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced