Heyya from Zoo Jersey!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Rosie_Rose, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Rosie_Rose
      Balanced

Rosie_Rose Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1989? Maybe longer
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car Accident
      Hi all! I'm new to the forum. I've had tinnitus after a bad car accident in 1989. Wow - 27 years!
      My hearing loss has been minor although the T itself has increased in volume. I have it in both ears and REALLY miss silence. I have a white noise machine that sometimes helps me sleep at night but the noise has gotten so loud I hear it over all daily noises. At the office the tinnitus competed with the high pitched noise from the computers and fluorescent lighting, but after becoming gainfully unemployed :cautious: I don't have THOSE distractions anymore.

Anyway - just wanted to introduce my self. I plan on reading through everyone's post so I can become familiar with the gang.

Happy Saturday!

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @Rosie_Rose,

Welcome to Tinnitus Talk! We're glad you've joined us; please look around the site, and be sure to read the "Success Stories" section, and the "Positivity Thread". You sound like an upbeat person, and I'll bet you could add some positive thoughts of your own about your tinnitus.

Like you, I've had tinnitus for a long time (over 30 years), and while it hasn't really gotten worse, I do have some hearing loss. I was retired, but have returned to work in the last year, and it has helped me to keep my mind distracted from the tinnitus. However, I certainly do understand where you're coming from about the high-pitched noises from computers, printers, fluorescent lighting, etc. That can sometimes set off my tinnitus, too, so I often keep a fan or heater running under my desk to mask the sounds.

We're glad you've joined us, and are looking forward to hearing more from you soon!

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to TT. With 27 years behind you, you are actually a T veteran. There current problem may be a spike which may settle down. Don't get too anxious about it as stress and anxiety are bad for T. Hope you will find these masking sounds helpful. Take care. God bless.

TT's audio player: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/audioplayer/

or download free sound generator ‘aire freshener’: http://www.peterhirschberg.com/mysoftware.html

or make your own rain sound: http://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/rainNoiseGenerator.php

or search youtube with words like 'tinnitus masking sounds', 'white noise', 'rain sound' etc.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rosie_Rose
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1989? Maybe longer
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car Accident
      @billie48 - thanks for the info. I actually make it a point NOT to stress out about my T. Not so funny story: after my car accident I went to an ENT. Once the examination and discussion were over the 'doctor' led me out to the reception desk to pay my bill. He then said to my "good luck. Fifty (50%) percent of people who suffer from T as bad as yours eventually commit suicide". My first thought was "what an as$hole". My second thought (and promise to myself) was that I wouldn't become a statistic and have taught myself to ignore the T as much as possible. Learning to live with T is the best medicine available.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    5. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Good for you, @Rosie_Rose !

I can't believe the doctor shared that information with you, and am so glad to see that you found a way to overcome, and to prove him wrong. I agree that learning to live with T is the best cure available to us right now.

Stay strong!
      Karen

6. dragonjax

dragonjax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rosie_Rose
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1989? Maybe longer
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car Accident
      Well @dragonjax - a happy Sunday to you too! We're having such a lovely rain here in Zoo Jersey that I imagine the plants and trees are smiling.

• Like Like x 1
    8. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Oh man, I wish we can sue these irresponsible ENTs out there who instead of helping their T patients are actually hurting them with comments like that. Where is the stats he based his opinion on? I thought my ENT was bad when he saw me in very desperate and panic state and said 'the only way for me to stop your ringing is to shoot you'!!!. I guess yours is even worst as to imply that you may belong to that stat sheet. Gosh! Why the heck ENTs are not trained to handle their desperate T patients or at least refer them to some places more prepared to help the T victims? Totally disgusting for these moron ENTS to say such heartless thing to their T patients.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      I don't think this is true. I have very severe T I hear over everything. Still alive after 2 1/2 years. 50% is BS. Nevertheless it is tough and needs a good amount of will power.

Ignoring or accepting? I haven't found out yet what works better. Kevin Hogan once gave the advise: "Never listen to your T. Never ever.". Not easy with something you hear over everything.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rosie_Rose
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1989? Maybe longer
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car Accident
      @Martin69 - I agree. It's not easy to NOT listen to your T. Ignoring or accepting...I've never thought of it in these terms. Perhaps accepting is the correct word for me. To accept means you realize this handicap is here (possibly to stay) and we must 'get on' with our lives and live them to the fullest.