Hi Everyone — Muscle Contracting to Noise

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Hemma34, May 13, 2018.

1. Hemma34

Hemma34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi my name's Emma and I was wondering if someone maybe able to help me!

I have been having a muscle contracting (open and closing) deep inside the ear to noise the very start of a noise the door opening light switch cup on table the dog sneezing the phone ringing all sorts of different sounds.

I will jump also like I'm startled!

I have a dull feeling both ears without sound around and I also have a numb feeling each side of my ears to on and off

My eardrums feel like there being squeezed to

I have to pink sound around to help these symptoms

If I'm around sound I have noticed that these contractions don't happen if the sounds louder than the noises it does it too. It's like my ears are cushioned somehow

Any help I would be grateful for
      Thank you so much for reading

Wishing everyone good health!

2. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Welcome!

I think I can relate to some of that. I have the same type of symptoms, although I only have it in one ear. It's like the whole system is on high alert for potential danger. If someone slams a door, or drops a heavy item to the floor in close proximity I can feel the muscles in my left ear becoming tense. Not so much the right ear, interesting enough. I suspect it's because the right ear is less damaged or not at all. Not sure exactly for how long I have had this, but longer than the tinnitus, that's for sure.

I often blame things on my more recent acoustic trauma, but these things are accumulative, and things tend to break down as we get older. I lived a relatively normal life, with exception of having to leave a war torn country to find peace in Sweden. I did train Karate, along with a host of other sports, but I never was a troublemaker. But as an example, I once got punched by my friend's father because the two of us kids had a bit of a scuffle. We were both about 12 years old at the time. His father had to prove what a big man he was so he punched a kid. Police got involved but my parents didn't want to press charges. The dumb ass started crying like a baby and begging for mercy. He was our countryman and he would have faced deportation had we pressed charges. But the thing is that an incident like that can easily leave both psychological and physical scars on a person. The aftermath of which sometimes can only be seen as you grow older.

I don't mean to tell you my life's story. This was just an example of how one incident can have a lasting effect on a person's life. Both you and I know best what we have been through. How we got where we are at right now is not so important. The important thing is that we do our best to stay positive, stay hopeful and go on with our lives. Life is a journey, and it's not always a dance on roses, as we often only figure out as we grow older. Sometimes it will present obstacles in front of you and you need to find ways to overcome them, because life is a precious thing and it is worth living.

If you haven't already, make sure to go to a reputable ENT doctor for a thorough checkup. Don't expect them to make all these problems go away for you, because the medicine is just not there yet and many of these conditions are practically impossible to treat. But they can and should make sure you don't have a more serious underlying condition, God forbid.

The jumpiness and tense ear muscles you experience could be due to noise overexposure and stressful events or even traumatic ones. Seeing a therapist of some sort might be helpful here. Eardrums being squeezed, that could indicate positive or negative pressure in the middle ear and problems with the Eustachian tubes. You will hear all about these from your ENT doctor. I am by no means a medical doctor, so take my words only as a guideline. These are all the things I learned about on my own when I started having ear problems.

Sorry about the long read. I will leave it at that. If you have any questions, you can ask me or any of our other helpful members on the forum. Welcome to the forum once again, try to stay positive and stay healthy.

3. Mellow7

Mellow7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What you are experiencing is Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome (or in short TTTS). It often accompanies Hyperacusis (H) or misophonia. The contraction is a natural reflex to what is perceived as too loud a sound. It works on a subconscious level and is in a heigtened state of 'alarm' due to negative emotional association with sound. In that way, it is largely psychosomatic.

You can read more about it here: http://www.dineenwestcottmoore.com....misophonia#tonic-tensor-tympani-syndrome-ttts.

It has a wide variety of symptoms and is usually resolved together with H or misophonia. So it doesn't help to start avoiding all matter of noise, considering that will only make your auditory system more sensitive.

There is also a thread about it on this forum: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eatly-reduced-ear-pain-and-hyperacusis.27780/

My personal experience also tells me that it is most active around sudden and shrill sounds. Indeed, if I am in a constantly noisy environment, it bothers me less.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    4. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      I have this one too. But I would rather distinguish this one from what she is describing. I mean TTTS is more this constant flexing of muscles back and forth. But I suppose the underlying mechanism is the same.

Misphonia, yes. But I wouldn't call it hyperacusis. I have had hyperacusis as well, but it is practically gone now. But the symptoms of middle ear muscles getting tense prematurely in anticipation of a loud sound is still present. I would describe hyperacusis more like this sensation of... as if it's your whole brain vibrating, and you can't stand normal or moderately loud sounds, with or without sharp ear pain.

Exactly!

5. Mellow7

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yeah, I think it is perfectly possible to have TTTS without the Hyperacusis. I didn't want to freak anyone out, just wanted to give the general context. Myself, I don't think I have Hyperacusis either, but this TTTS can sometimes really act up with me. Especially silverware is my kryptonite.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hemma34

Hemma34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post I'm amazed just how helpful you all are thank you :)

Sound actually doesn't sound Loud to me it's more of the muscle Contractions and starkle reflex.

I have noticed that my left ear always seem like something is stuck in side it which I can actually make it pop or click by just tensing

Does this get better over time over is there any treament at all for this

My ent consultant as mentioned cutting the muscles in my ear but the truth is I'm very scared about that

Thanks

7. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably loud music
      Hi Emma

Firstly, I would not advise having the muscles cut in your ear - they serve a very important protective function

I suspect that you are suffering from high stress or personal trauma(?) meaning that you are in a state of hypervigilance. This means that you startle more easily and generally on edge.

What can you do in your life to reduce stress and reassure your body and mind that all is well - and that you are safe?

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Mellow7

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Fullness in the ears (aural fullness) is often present in people with tinnitus (especially in the beginning). There could be a lot of reasons for this: ear wax, Eustachian tube dysfunction, muscles in middle ear being overtaxed, etc. This usually goes away on its own.

What you describe about the popping of ears is also known as the diving technique 'Voluntary Tubal Opening'. Some people can equalize pressure in their ears by tensing muscles in their jaw/throat, thereby opening the Eustachian tubes. This is perfectly normal. If you also experience the popping or crackling when swallowing or yawning, it might be an indication of inflammation of the tubes (ETD).

Many users on this forum have reported their 'TTTS' improving and going away after a few months after onset of tinnitus. I'm approaching my 4th month, but only started getting TTTS after about 2, because I was starting to feel anxious around loud sounds. I can testify to it being psychosomatic because of this. The more I feared noise, the more this little muscle started to react. Today, mine is reacting to silverware, locking doors, a running faucet, and so on.

Treatment is based on understanding the mechanisms behind the muscle, desensitizing the auditory system and reprogramming yourself around and your reaction to sounds. This is easier said than done, but entirely manageable. I have had improvement in the last two weeks. I advise going to an audiologist, who has a good track record with tinnitus and related issues.

Like dingaling said, I would not go for that surgery. It is a very valuable muscle and cutting it would make you lose more than you would gain. First look into as much options as you can, even to the point of meditation techniques before considering that kind of invasive procedure.

9. COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      @Mellow7 how is your TTTS now? I’m quite new to this (5 months) and it’s very similar to what you have experienced.

10. Mellow7

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It's been much better lately. After 10 months things started to improve significantly. I also got out of a toxic environment, allowing for better mental health. It really has a lot to do with your mindset and how much you let moderately loud noises scare/affect you. Mind you, I still experience some tightening of the muscle with shrill noises such as cutlery, but nothing too bothersome. This is probably sound sensitivity that won't be going away any time soon. Otherwise, I'm perfectly comfortable with going out in public without ear protection, going to lectures again, etc. But I always have some handy if things get too loud.

It really sounds tiresome to hear this after a while, certainly when you're new to tinnitus, but: give it time.

It's the only thing that worked for me. And the tinnitus is still there, usually same volume. Mentally, I have greatly recovered however.

Hopefully you will experience a similar course of recovery. Take care.

• Like Like x 2
    11. Stocketh

Stocketh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/06
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hi all.

Hemma, i can relate to your symptoms. Have seen a lot of people on this forum with the constant spasms, Not as many with the low low sounds triggering it, so it felt like some sort of relief. Have had it on my right ear for over a year now due to an acoustic shock (sudden loud sound). When it happened It felt like when you pop your ears but it was the sound that made my ear pop, and like something broke inside. After that i got tinnitus and the muscle in my ear is responding (tightening up when i hear slightest sound, cup on a table, my own voice. And let's go with a little thump on the end when i the sound disappears). Been testing my hearing almost every year and after this incident my hearing was perfect.

After a year i haven't really made any progress with the ttts, and i also feel jumpy and easily startled by sounds that aren't that loud. The ear can still feel stuffy and if i try to pop my ears it's like the eardrum on the right ear is retracting right away while the left stays open if that makes sense.

Has anyone had this and gotten better after more than a year?

All the best