Hi Everyone, I'm Nick (One Month of Tinnitus)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Gaarnemelk, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Gaarnemelk

Gaarnemelk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overexposure to loud noise
      Hey everyone,

My name is Nick, I'm 19 years old and from Amsterdam. I play drums in a band, and my tinnitus popped up about a month ago after one of our - probably way too loud - rehearsals. It wasn't unusual for us to go home with a ringing in our ears, but this time for me it didn't go away... (I wear plugs now). It's a high pitched noise that seems to be a little louder on the right side. It's most noticable when I try to sleep and when I wake up.

All in all, it's been troubling me a lot for quite some time, but up until a few days ago I stayed quite hopeful it might go away. Now I've reached the stage at which I'm not sure where to turn to. Two weeks ago I went to the doctor to get my earwax cleaned out because I thought that might've caused the ringing, but it didn't help. I'm planning to get an appointment with the ENT, but I'm afraid that all he'll be able to tell me is "Deal with it, you'll habituate."

Now, I've been reading through some posts here, and from what I'm understanding I'm still at an early stage. Besides visiting an ENT (which I probably will), are there any things that I can still do to reduce the tinnitus as much as possible? Do I need to hurry with some kind of treatment? I read something about prednisone treatment, although I'm not sure whether that's something that many people have tried successfully.

I'm looking forward to your response/advice and I would like to let you all know how happy I am to have found this forum!

Nick

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Turn the volume down. Get electric drums to practice on. You are new to this and it could fade. Perhaps even take a brake from the band and let your ears rest. also look into AM101
      Also protect the SHit out of your ears. Double up protection for rehearsaL if you do play . Earplugs and ear muffs on top.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gaarnemelk

Gaarnemelk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overexposure to loud noise
      Thanks for the replies. I have another doctor's appointment tomorrow, will ask to be redirected to an ENT.
      @billie48, apparently prednisone treatment can't be done in the Netherlands, so my best chance at treatment is to go to Germany... Will look into it though.

Taking a break from the band isn't really an option at the moment since we have many shows in the planning and a single release as well... I'm gonna get some professional plugs next week, and protect the shit out of my ears for sure.

5. Yo-Han

Yo-Han Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi

Been a drummer too (about 15 years, happy T-less then). My T came 5+years after i stopped playing drums in bands (focused on DJing and dance music later)
      My T is possibly TMJ related (or stress or maybe meds) cause years after i quit regular DJ ing i had no chronic T. But i have to say i quit dj ing completely because of my T since 2013!

Anyway as a bit of a veteran in noisy environments a few tips. I was always carefull with my ears as a dj and drummer. We were soft rock and i rather had our guitar players very powerful amp not blowing directly into my ear. Try to not overdue it in rehearsals (especially not for hours in a row, take 15 minute breaks every now and then)

I can vouch for musicans ear plugs! I own these and they are great Some even fit in ear stage monitors! (i never used them with in ears , so no experience on that)

http://www.variphone.com/nl/mep-2g
      http://www.variphone.com/en/mep-2g
      (kinda like etymotic's)

The variphone or etymotic ER 20 could be a short time solution, they are not so comfy as customs and not as linear (blue model = small ear canal, white= big ear canal)
      Regular foam plugs will muffle, but i rather have them in around loud noise then to risk louder T or long setbacks.

If you use -22 or -25Db you'll probably be fine. That makes 100-105 more like 80-85Db wich should be safe for quite a while. But do take more silent breaks at rehearsals, it gives your ears some rest.

6. Mike TerMaaten

Mike TerMaaten Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 20, 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2013 GMC Sierra pickup truck
      I would take Soul Station's advice....