Hi from Melbourne Australia. It is after midnight here and this is when i struggle the most.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Latte girl, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Latte girl
      Buzzed

Latte girl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      Hi from Melbourne Australia. It is after midnight here and this is when I struggle the most with my T. The loud ringing is unbearable and i can't sleep.
      I am hoping fellow members may be able to help as i am in the early stages of dealing with this. My ringing never Stops !!!!!!

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Dustydom

Dustydom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Watch something on your lap top in bed with your headphones on. Preferably a comedy, a funny one, anything that will make you laugh or lighten your mood.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Latte girl
      Buzzed

Latte girl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      Thanks Dustydom will give that a try.
      I have read that people use ear plugs .Are there better ones that anyone can recommend.
      Also my Dr has said i need to go to a training course to help me forget about my T!!!!!I cant imagine not trying to listen to this high pitch noise .....it is the only thing i hear it is sooooooo loud !!!!

4. astronomer
      Spaced

astronomer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      april 12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced ( factory/rock band )
      hi,from canada,i use an air purifier ,when i turn it on the fan keeps my mind on something else,contact me if you ever need to chat,be good to yourself,kevin

5. daedalus

daedalus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      At the beginning, i downloaded nature noises i liked and played them before going to bed. It distracted me from the t. A sleeping ritual may help. I drank some lime blossom tea. The beginnings are the worst. Now, i don't need anything. No sleeping pills, no distracting noise.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Latte girl
      Buzzed

Latte girl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      Thanks everyone you all have been so kind with you advice.It seems the early days are the worse. Ijust keep tuning into and get anxious at night time.
      The forum is so reassuring it islike having our own support group from all over the world without having to leave the couch.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Dustydom

Dustydom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Being offered TRT is great, let me know how it goes and what support is offered in Australia.

8. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Sucks to see someone else from Melbourne on here, but welcome!

If you need to see a good audiologist, I highly recommend seeing one of these guys: http://www.dineenandwestcott.com.au/

I met with Ross Dineen and the guy is a champ, very thoughtful and understanding; probably one of the best experiences I've had with a medical professional. I've heard nothing but good things about Miriam Westcott also, she is a leading authority on the subject of hyperacusis if I recall correctly.

Unfortunately I wasted a good bit of money seeing a bunch of useless doctors, audiologists and ENTs (avoid a guy called Dr. Glenn Watson and his clinic, biggest waste of money) before finding them, but I found my session with Ross to be very valuable even though I saw him a year into my tinnitus experience.

Anyway, hope things begin to get better for you!

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Latte girl
      Buzzed

Latte girl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      Thanks yonkapin ...Yes i have also heard dineen westcott are worth a visit.
      I am off to Dr Andrea Lee Ent guy on Thursday and then i will definately see these guys thanks for the recommendation.
      Any ideas for sleeping ??????

10. skywalker
      Thinking

skywalker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      All the best with the ENT let us know how you go,

I guess in time you just adapt best as possible, During the night if I'm struggling to get back to sleep i concentrate my mind into a Default mode, walking, beach, sand, shells, water, Over & over +++

11. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Use masking noises at night to help distract your mind and sleep, a good starting place is: http://mynoise.net/

Also: exercise, exercise, exercise. It helps tremendously with stress, anxiety and definitely helps with sleep quality.

Other than that, and without going down the slippery slope of sleeping medications, I would recommend trying to supplement with something like melatonin first. You can't buy it in stores here but you can grab it very easily online, I personally use eBay and buy the Optimum Nutrition brand:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Optimum-...111?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41761e8217

I've bought it off these guys many times and I've never had a problem, takes about a week and a bit to arrive.

12. Gabrielle
      No Mood

Gabrielle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, maybe bad syringing
      Hi latte girl, right now it's also after midnight in The Netherlands and I can't sleep also . I have T for 5 months now and I still struggling with it. Today I had a good day... as good als silence...! But ten minutes ago I woke up... very loud T came back. So I am downstairs now to take my laptop above. On youtube there is '12 hours of white noise'. So I will take it next to my bed so that the tinnitus sounds are a bit to the background. I also took a calm-down pill, it's hard... It's a very sad thing.... tinnitus. But I red a lot of success stories over and over again. And so I'm trying to keep faith that one day I will be OK with it. ..My ENT said that it will proberly never will go away. I am Lucky that ones in a week there is a quiet day. Hope you will keep also faith that one day you can handle this. We have to! Wish you all the best from Holland.

13. Miss lavender

Miss lavender Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/01/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      Hi Latte girl,
      What part of Melbourne are you from?

• Informative Informative x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Latte girl
      Buzzed

Latte girl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      Hi Miss Lavender
      I live in St helena ..it is near Eltham.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Latte girl
      Buzzed

Latte girl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Latte girl
      Buzzed

Latte girl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      Thanks again Yonkapin ..those websites are really nelpful.
      After 3 nights of not sleeping i have a Temazapan to take. I have heard there is a compound chemist in Eltham who makes Melatonin. So will follow that up as i would like to have something natural.
      As for exercise i am so oooooooo tired i am finding it even difficult to get up and have a shower.
      Everyone has been lovely on this forum
      Thanks again