Hi I'm New

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by toohp, Oct 24, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. toohp

toohp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      operating loud machinery
      Hello just introducing myself , been suffering Tinnitus from 2014 and was coping ok until several weeks ago my condition got a '' whole'' lot worst . I'm a bobcat machine contractor and have been driving em for 25 years , then 3 weeks ago after a long day at work my conditioned got real bad and has stayed that way since .

I have just finished a 4 month contract and I think Im pretty much done as In I cannot see how I could continue my work now & into the future ??

On a scale it jumped right upto a 9 /10 nearly unbearable !! 2 weeks now it's dropped to say a 7 , coping throughout the day with background noise but at night is the real problem . Im currently trying to mask with white noise at night and tomorrow Im of to get some counciling .Im on medication for Colitis is that part of the problem ??
      Personally I think its from my work . Inside my machine the noise level is at 98 DB I wear & have tried just about every type of ear protection possible Inc aircraft quality and the latest $500 electronic noise cancelling ones which are good .

My plan now is to take a break from work untill 2017 but cannot see how I could go back to my work re the noise ?
      Ive been told from a good source that my condition should drop in level but will take some time ( months )
      I am stressed now as Im 56 yo not sure what my work options would be ?
      There is no way I could continue in this line of work is there ? The chance of it getting worst are too great I cannot see how I can continue or should !

Seen my doctor and have been referred to a ENT doctor but I cannot see what they can do ?

Thoughts ??

2. Robert44

Robert44 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      Since you use ear protection I don't know what to tell you. Are you making sure that you always protect your ears? even when your not at work? Sorry to hear about this. I know what your going through. Mine has been a little worse lately. I haven't been taking care of myself as usual. Got get back to less sugar, salt,caffeine, etc.... Also I usually take NAC Coq10, and some other stuff which I haven't been taking. Sleep is the most important. Make sure u get some . Mask if necessary.. hard to make it through the day without sleep. all the best to you

3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      @toohp
      Hi toohp,
      I am sorry to hear about the difficulty that you are going through with tinnitus. Many of us know what this condition is like when it is severe and intrusive. I also believe a break from the noisy environment that you work in is the right decision. Whether you will be able to return to doing that type of work without making your tinnitus worse, is another matter and one you should think seriously about, since the high quality ear protection that you’ve been using hasn’t helped. You really don’t want the tinnitus to get louder.

Please don’t think ENT cannot do anything because they can. By carrying out tests on your auditory system and having an MRI scan these will determine if there are any abnormalities. Hopefully, nothing will be found and then you can be referred to a hearing therapist where a lot can be done regarding tinnitus management. There are many different coping strategies and treatments available. Please click on the link below for more information about this.

Using white noise at night is good but try not to mask your tinnitus: cover-it-up so that it can’t be heard. It is better to set the white noise slightly below your tinnitus for sound enrichment. Some people use a sound machine that plays nature sounds, which can be beneficial. Tinnitus takes time to get used to and you will find more information about habituation in the link.

All the best
      Michael
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/an-introduction-to-tinnitus.12100/

• Like Like x 1
    4. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      Hi toohp,

Aside from going the medical route, you should check in with your employer's HR department about STD or LTD (short/long term disability) and see what the company's policy/options are. If you are not satisfied with the result, you may want to consult with a lawyer specializing in employment laws, especially in your area to see what legal rights - if any - you have at your disposal. Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      You seem to have a spike. Does this spike happens only after you use Colitis? If it is then it is likely that the drug is ototoxic to you causing your T. Your job is dealing with loud machines. Here is the success story of Jade who drives 800-tonne mining trucks for a living. Perhaps you can learn something from her story or better yet to message her for advice. She may be not visiting TT any more. Hopefully the private conversation you send to her can get it to her personal email. It doesn't hurt to try. Take good care. God bless.

http://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/6-months-tinnitus-still-going-strong-but-so-am-i.3226/

6. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term NIHL and recent acoustic trauma
      I would not do a MRI at this stage unless you suspect anything else than noise related tinnitus and also have other new symptoms besides tinnitus...which does not appear to be the case

MRI are very noisy even with plugs