Hi, Just Introducing Myself...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ju Rowe, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Ju Rowe
      Sunshine

Ju Rowe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy metal concert (Rising Force)
      Hi, I'm Ju. I have electrical high pitch and hissing in my left ear mainly, sometimes in my right ear. Also, sometimes loud cracking noises in my left ear when falling asleep which makes me jump.

I've had it for around 20 years on and off. It started after after I went to see Rising Force at Hammersmith Apollo - Yngve Malmsteen plays a wicked feedback but unfortunately it still haunts me today! I also have a sinus condition so that prolly doesn't help.

I'm glad you meet you all - I'm going to read as much as I can and try a few things out. I feel lucky in that normal everyday noises mask my tinnitus quite well. I have a fan on at night which also masks it, and helps me to sleep. After being told I'd just have to live with it, I've found that distracting my own attention helps. I can 'forget' it for quite a while now - mmorpg's help :-D

I stumbled on this site after clicking on a bogus miracle cure link, and I'm glad to have found you. :)

If I find anything tangible that can help I will share!

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Aighton
      Inspired

Aighton Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2015
      Thanks. And welcome! :welcomesignanimation:

3. Evian

Evian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Hi and welcome I'm new here too.

Glad you are finding your new situation manageable

4. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Ju, and welcome to Tinnitus Talk! I can relate to your situation, in that I've had tinnitus for a very long time, too. Mine is also a high-pitched hissing sound, accompanied by a pulsating sound (pulsatile tinnitus). For me, it was loud sound that first started my tinnitus, which is in my left ear only, and then a blood pressure drug made it worse. I'm off the blood pressure drugs now, and am using natural supplements to control my blood pressure.

We're glad you've joined us. There is so much information on this forum, and a lot of helpful people who understand what you're going through right now. Be sure to read the "Don't Panic" section on the home page of this forum for information, tips, plus some background sounds you can try playing to mask your tinnitus.

Yes, we would be glad for you to share anything that you find that works for you. For me, some natural supplements seem to be helping, including magnesium chloride, niacin, and NAC.

Best wishes for a quiet, calm day!
      Karen

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ju Rowe
      Sunshine

Ju Rowe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the welcome and helpful advice, it's great to meet you :joyful:

Re. the panicking - I did suffer a fair bit of anxiety when my T worsened (about 3 years ago), and I noticed some hearing loss too (most likely age related). It helped when I read somewhere that my brain would get used to the noise and tune it out, which did happen.

I have a question. I've heard that flying in a pressurised cabin can cause all sorts of problems, including pain. I sometimes suffer from temporary deafness due to sinus problems as well as the T and I've never flown anywhere yet, so this worries me. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of this and if so any solutions?

Ju x

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I've flown a number of times since I developed T and did not have any problems. The changes in cabin pressure can cause ear pain if a person has head congestion that blocks/clogs the eustachian tube. This interferes with equalizing the pressure on the inner side of the ear drums during cabin pressure changes.

That said, I myself, would try to avoid flying if I were stuffed-up with a head cold, if possible. Btw, opening your mouth and swallowing can help to equalize the pressure on both sides of the ear drums during such pressure changes. I learned during the time that I served aboard a diesel-electric submarine. The pressure in the ship would change frequently when running the engines while snorkeling.

info-on-blocked-Eustachian-Tube-Treatment.jpg

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ju Rowe
      Sunshine

Ju Rowe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the help Jim, very much appreciated.