Hi, My Tinnitus Was Caused by an Ear Infection

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Musicus Tui, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Musicus Tui

Musicus Tui Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian Tube Dysfunction
      I've had my infection for around two weeks, but for the past at 2-3 days I've had this ringing in my ears, it's sort of high-pitched, and like 5/10 in loudness, normally this would make me panic and cry, but it hasn't affected me too much.

I've tinnitus for a while, but it was a low-pitched hum that I would only hear when it was really quiet

Edit: The low pitched hum is from ETD, also I don't know if this is a coincidence, but the ringing started around when I started taking anti-biotics.

2. Jordy
      Asleep

Jordy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      8x Fireworkshow, Fallas Valencia
      Hello Musicus,

Do you know what kind of infection it was? I have an eczema infection around and in my ear which causes sort of a white skin, I don't know if that causes the T. While showering I need to use a special shampoo around & in my ear to make the eczema go away. But maybe I am also afraid the infection went through my eardrum, if thats even possible.

3. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      Do you know what kind of antibiotics you were given? Some types are bad for this condition.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Musicus Tui

Musicus Tui Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian Tube Dysfunction
      Jordy, it was a strep middle ear infection, that was caused by a strep throat infection that was left too long, and spread to other places.

Elinor, I'm taking amoxicillin, I thought the same thing as you, so I asked my doctor and he said that the anti-biotic isn't ototoxic like most anti-biotics.

5. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      Sorry for the late reply. Your doctor is right, amoxicillin is one of the safest kinds for T.

You didn't mention in your first post that you had an middle ear infection, that could certainly be the cause.

Now that it's been a little over a week, are you doing any better? Has the ringing subsided?