Hi, Thanks for Letting Me Join

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Sharon Winstone, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Sharon Winstone

Sharon Winstone Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication side effect although would occasionally gt before
      Hi, have just found this group and hoping to learn from you all. I would occasionally get tinnitus, then my GP started me on a new blood pressure med and it became the torture it is now. I am never in silence and have to have other noise all the time even when going. To sleep at night. Having tried Various things I have found that low voices work best for distracting me.

The other problem I have is that I have fibromyalgia so suffer from sensory overload so can't deal with certain noises.

One of these is the engine noise on an plane. Am going on holiday soon, so any advice would be welcome.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Bose noise cancelling headphones seem to be doing a good job of filtering out airplane engine noise. 3M Peltor earmuffs are also very good, are a lot cheaper, but are less comfortable.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. missingsilence
      Depressed

missingsilence Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who am I kidding, its got to be noise :/
      Hi Sharon,

I agree with Bill, Bose has some very good noise cancelling technology, you can also get foam earplugs or custom fitting ear plugs. Out of all these options the Bose headphones are probably the most comfortable. If possible, getting a seat in front of the engines of the plane or flying an aircraft with more advanced noise isolation (A380, 787) may be more comfortable.

Hope you feel better!

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I forgot about that!

Make sure to get an isle seat (and not a window seat) - it makes a difference to the noise level.

5. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Front to back of an airplane makes the biggest difference, much more than isle vs window. I've flown a lot since getting T and H. I just bring earmuffs with me and try to sit in front of the engines.

6. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      In front - between windows and with Peltor x5a and your all set
      I was in a 777 the other day and it wasn't loud around 70db most of the time even wihtout muffs it should be fine