Hi There, All

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Peter D., May 1, 2016.

1. Peter D.

Peter D. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have joined the club of tinnitus suffers about 3o days ago...and I can honestly tell you that it feels like I've aged about 20 years in those 30 days...I'm 59 years old and built my life and family around peace and tranquility. The T has ripped it from me almost immediately and has sent me down a roller coaster path of anxiety, despair and frustration...Some days I feel like I have a handle on it and am doing the right things (eating, exercising, meditation, venting (carefully), in therapy)...other days I'm a basket case and wonder why I'm alive...I've discovered that the Neurotic Self takes over during Anxiety and all kinds of negative thoughts and symptoms bubble up and stay 24/7...Combine that with a lack of sleep (or at best a disturbed in-out sleep) and you have one strung out person...I'm very careful not to reveal much to my family -- for obvious reasons...It's hard enough on them, so I work out most of my issues off to the side...or vent/cry in private...I hate taking any medication for anything...but I'm looking at sedatives, sleep aids and natural relaxers just to get me through the day.

I am, however, in the process of learning about personal growth...character, courage, acceptance - not capitulation. I feel some of the time (not always) that this will progress towards a positive end...I just don't know when or how...Right now, it's very raw and this seems very distant...but somehow I think that the human spirit takes over...

I pray for everyone on this thread that they may achieve enlightenment and peace.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. Cillian

Cillian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      I'm only 20 and I have it :(

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Peter D.

Peter D. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sorry to hear about that, Cillian...How are you managing it so far?

4. Cillian

Cillian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      I'm doing okay just have to keep praying that out of all the researchers out there someone will find the cure sooner rather then later

I personally believe if treatment is found it will be tablet based and will have to be taken daily

• Like Like x 1
    5. TeresaD
      Fine

TeresaD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi @Peter D.
      Sorry to hear this! You have no idea why it came on suddenly? What kind of T do you have (ringing, humming, buzzing)? I've had mine (ringing and clicking) for many years but it's always been mild. I hurt my neck in a fall about a year ago and since then it's been moderate along with transient Hyperacusis (it's awful to have these two combined). I, too, get very anxious when my T and H hit me. I use sound cancelling earphones on and off during the day and cry a lot. I just turned 51 and also hope they come up with something to help all of us that suffer from this. Just stay positive and don't let it get the best of you. I understand what you mean about keeping it from your family, but make sure they are there for you when you need them. Give them information so they are aware of what you are going through. I pray that yours goes away as suddenly as it came. It happens!! And if it doesn't go away completely, it usually gets better through habituation. I know because it happened to me along with many others!! One more thing...read the "some advice" post under yours in the "New replies."

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Peter D.

Peter D. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi @TeresaD

I have ringing (high b-flat on the piano -- I'm a musician :)) combined with a higher pitch buzzing (kind of like cicadas)...Maybe the trick is to convince myself I'm sleeping outside and hearing the insects...No idea how it happened...some stressful recent situations, but no super loud noises or headphone abuse (I play quiet piano)...Staying positive is a good thing...A little bit of sleep would be nice too...I'll take little victories at this point...I hope that you do well...Thank you for your words...We'll overcome this!

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. TeresaD
      Fine

TeresaD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Peter D.
      Yes, we will!! I've read a lot about people using natural sleep aides (melatonin) to help with that, you should try it! I get the buzzing as well, cicadas is a good way to describe it. Again, habituation will kick in, you'll see! Worst thing is letting the anxiety take over. Take care and stay healthy. Hopefully you can still play your piano!!!

• Like Like x 1
    8. Sara_Bond
      Cool

Sara_Bond Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      @Peter D.

Valerian is good for sleeping. Natural and helps to put the good sleep in a long term way. Give it a try.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Peter D.

Peter D. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Appreciate the posts from Sara_Bond and TeresaD...I've been experimenting with different treatments for sleep -- natural and pharmacologic...no clear winner so far...natural is the way to go long term, of course...but maybe some industrial strength stuff is needed at the outset. I agree that controlling anxiety - more than the noise - is key...A lot of bad, stupid stuff comes in your head and doesn't leave when you're sleep-deprived...then it perpetuates itself when trying to fall asleep...Sooner or later, I'm going to get to the point to tell it to F' off...not quite there yet, however.

Piano playing isn't impacted all that much...

I'm discerning that time is the best healer...we're all in a state of change...physical and mental...

• Like Like x 2
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Peter D.

Peter D. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Cillian

Yes, I believe that eventually somebody in the medical community will figure this out...In the meantime, do all of the right things for your body (eat well, sleep well as best you can, exercise, rely on your family and faith, talk it out with a trusted person if you're anxious) and it will pay off.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    11. dragonjax

dragonjax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, @Peter D. When it comes to relaxation and help with sleep, I second Valerian, especially as a tea in the evening. Also melatonin.

• Like Like x 1
    12. barbb

barbb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Peter D. just got this a couple of mths ago too.....really is a bitch....have T and H.....yesterday was a good day but today is a bad one for me.....think the rain all day hasn't helped........hang in there.

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Peter D.

Peter D. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @barbb
      Think "good day" not "bad day"...Time seems to change things...and smooths things out eventually...Can't rush it...Everything returns to some steady state form if you let it...

..."hang in there" indeed..I plan to use this forum to offer whatever advice I can, not to obsess over finding answers...Of course, any advice from others is welcome. The success stories are good positive reinforcers.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    14. Nana99

Nana99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I too have had t return this past week and with it the ensuing anxiety. Staying busy helps to distract...sometimes a real effort! Rather or not it's fortunate, I have a few friends with the t also....helps to share as does this forum. I hadn't been here for about a year! Tomorrow I see an audiologist to see if hearing issue maybe at least a part of its return. Just know you are not alone...50,000 million of us walking around!!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. Cillian

Cillian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      Ya I was told by an audiologist that over 300 million people have it worldwide

I think it's ridiculous that so many people have it and no sign of good treatment as of yet

16. Rosie_Rose
      Balanced

Rosie_Rose Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1989? Maybe longer
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car Accident
      @Peter D. - I just now learned what 'hyperacusis' is. How bad is yours? Loud noises make me cranky but they probably make EVERYONE cranky!
      It was good to hear that your music hasn't suffered any. The piano is such a beautiful instrument. Having a talent, hobby, interest always helps deal with the evil T. I've had T for a super long time and nights were always the worst. (That is until I purchased a sound machine). I have it set to ocean waves, it does something to my brain and puts me in such a deep sleep state I have trouble waking up sometimes. My husband calls it the 'Zombie machine'. I wish it had a remote because it puts me in such a hypnotic state it's difficult to wake up and trudge across the room to turn it off.

Stay strong - you're in charge! We humans are such amazing adaptive creatures :)

• Like Like x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Peter D.

Peter D. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Good posts from a bunch of folks...If it helps, here's a lesson that I'm learning...

Everybody is different in how they react and cope to a crisis...You can get advice from folks, some positive affirmation (extremely helpful) and adjustment strategies/tips...but it comes down the foundation that you've built for yourself and the need to embrace and/or change it as necessary...I'm not talking a radical personality makeover, but more so a means to incorporate growth into your core being...You need to feel positive about yourself...and recognize that need for growth...Very difficult to do in a crisis, such as T, where you're constantly reminded that things are different and your body/mind is in hyperdrive...

You can get help from a variety of professional and other sources, but the key is that YOU are in charge of formulating and executing YOUR recovery strategy based on your knowledge of who you are...There's a sense of accomplishment and independence when you resolve to do that...Doesn't mean that it's easy, but I'd rather set my own course (with appropriate knowledge) than have someone tell me what to do.

Time is a great healer...Eventually, T will take a background position in my life since I will deem it unimportant, unproductive and not a priority...I have other things that I need to focus my attention...I am angry at my T (in a positive way, if such a thing is possible)...Rather than fight it hard, I will marginalize it and relegate it to a place of unimportance.

Easier said than done, obviously, but that's how I operate...

Keep the faith, everyone...and find your own path.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1