How and Where to Clean Earwax Out of My Ear?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Matthew Perrotta, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Matthew Perrotta

Matthew Perrotta Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2/2016
      I would like to know what is the most efficent way to do it

2. Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      Here in germany the ENT is doing that. Do you know that you have too much earwax?

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Keep putting olive oil drops in to your ear from the chemist with a dropper to soften the wax then arange to see your doctor to arange wax removal.

It is so important to soften the wax for at least a week to ten days prior to wax removal....lots of love glynis

4. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      With a screwdriver in the bathroom.

• Funny Funny x 2
    5. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      why when the ent can remove it there and then without softening it too

6. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      ENT can do it.
      In England we have the NHS so doctor or nurse or ENT or private ENT can do it.
      Your ear drum can get crusted up with wax and this can cause pain and inflamation to remove it so using olive oil drops prior to wax removal just makes the wax easyer to move safely...lots of love glynis

7. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      I've read an article that says just simple water works best to soften the wax.

8. J M

J M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Maybe not the best idea, but I use wax-softening drops, and a few days later, I use a sanitized comedone removal tool (with a loop) to rake the wax out, as it usually settles in the bottom of the ear canal. I removed quite a bit of wax this way recently.

9. Bertman
      No Mood

Bertman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concert
      Does anyone know of any way to Prevent ear wax compacting. I seem to have a chronic problem of this now because I wear earplugs at work. I've read that putting in and taking out earplugs creates more wax, and then the other problem is (going to sound kind of gross..) that when it's warm out at work the wax tends to get more liquidy and seems to easily get pushed over my eardrum. every couple of weeks it seems I deal with this which leads to slight hearing loss, a kind of full feeling and louder T. I don't want to have to get my ears syringed all the time.

10. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Use olive oil in your ears from the chemist with a dropper every 5 days will keep wax at bay in the evening ..lots of love glynis

11. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      You shouldn't say crap like that on this forum. Someone might just think you are being serious and do it.

12. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Okay, I had something interesting happen the other day. I went to the dentist and since my ears felt kind of sensitive that day I put earplugs in my ear. One of them went in deeper and stayed in longer than the other....when I pulled that one out it hurt temporarily and I noticed a lot of burgundy colored compacted ear wax and hair....it sounds gross but to me it was very interesting....it must have been on my ear drum because my ear canals are almost always clean...I think it must have been from wearing hearing aids and the domes pushing wax against the ear over time. When I got home I put some ear drops in my ear for 20 minutes and then used a special water syringe for the ear and blasted a lot of hot water in the canal. I only noticed a small piece of earwax come off so I have no idea if I have any ear wax on it...since my tinnitus is bad in that area and I have hearing loss already, I couldn't tell if I have any on there. What do you all suggest I do?

By the way, is this harmful: I have a machine that produces steam that can be inhaled...I put my over it and let the steam get to it, would that be okay? If so, would it even be useful? Is it harmful?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    13. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      You can get an otoscope, for home use, and have someone look in your ear for any signs of wax. We have one, it works well and uses batteries for the light. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000J1FT4...5JCNX0J1KFPA1DD71&ie=UTF8&qid=1507176545&sr=1

I don't know if the steamer is a good idea for your ears, I have a facial steamer that I bought for breathing as the Eustachian tube openings are in the nose. I use hot washcloths on my ears, not for earwax but to help loosen the gunk inside the middle ear Eustachian tubes behind the eardrum. Some of the steam from the steamer probably goes in the ears, but I don't know if it is enough to help with anything.

• Helpful Helpful x 1