How Can I Measure the Severity of My Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Joe Bananas, Jan 18, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Joe Bananas
      Dreaming

Joe Bananas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Sorry if this has been already discussed. I want to know if is there any method for measuring the severity of my tinnitus.

2. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      @Joe Bananas

That's a good question. I guess one method is how you can mask your T and if at all.

My T can only partly masked with the shower. I see this as very severe.
      So no masking with TV, car noise, music, etc.
      Since it is very high-pitched for me (around 15 kHz or higher), I can only partly mask with cricket sounds.
      But here I also have to set them loud, so it is just another annoyance.
      On seldom low days, my T goes down that everyday sounds sometimes cover it. Something I could happily live with I guess.

How loud is yours? What frequency?
      Severe btw could also mean, it is not that loud, be you react to it very badly.
      Being in fight or flight mode all the time, even with a mild T, can be very severe.

3. Sgguy46
      Jaded

Sgguy46 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      if you come to tinnitus talk every minute ... very severe. if you come once a day, severe. if you come once a month, mild.

• Like Like x 3
    4. Andersson
      Worried

Andersson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Somehow this seems to make sense.
      I am in a dark place now and I refresh this page way to often, but I dont know why really ;/

5. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I would say that it's severe if most of life seems like background noise compared to your T.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. Joe Bananas
      Dreaming

Joe Bananas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I can hear mine everywhere everytime (street, cars, music, tv, talking crowds, etc...). The only place which represents a solid masker is the shower. Frequency... it "moves" around my head. Normally I have an airy sound in my left ear which is the most unmaskeable. Then I have white noise "in my head" (neck) and a really high pitched pure tone in my right ear. These two last ones get easily masked in normal sounding enviroments. My reaction... well, is some rollercoaster like. Three months now with this.